Trying Patience

"What's going on?" Nick questioned as he pulled me into his office not even half way through first block.

I rolled my eyes already irritated with our meeting, "You pulled me in here, you tell me."

He chose to ignore my blatant sass, "I wanted to check up on you and make sure you took your shot."

I folded my arms over my chest, "I thought you said it was MY diabetes..."

"It is your diabetes," He said mimicking my stance and folding his arms over his chest, "I'm making sure you're not slacking in your treatment."

"What does it matter to you if I slack on my treatment?" I questioned defensively, "it isn't your problem."

"You are a minor in my care so it is my problem." Nick said his tone slightly stern, "This isn't something to mess around with Cecelia, you do realize you could die from this disease if you are not careful."

I rolled my eyes, "Yes, I am well aware of the dangers of diabetes thank you. I'm not going to die today so calm down."

"You are my responsibility, which means I call the shots when it comes to your well-being. Do not tell me to calm down, I will worry as much as I please, I have a little more experience when it comes to this disease, I've had for the past 10 years. Take the correction."

"I am so sick and tired of feeling like I have no say over anything in my life, you may be in charge of me but this is MY body, you can't MAKE me take a correction." I challenged.

Nick raised his brow at my challenge. "No but I can make your life miserable and ground you."

"For WHAT?? I didn't do anything!" I spat.

"You are seriously trying my patience with this attitude young lady," Nick's tone was now fully irritated.

"I don't have an attitude," I defended, "you are the one that pulled me in here and started trying to tell me how to manage MY diabetes, something that you said you weren't going to do this morning in the car and then because I'm not managing things the way YOU think I should you threaten to ground me?"

"I have been very tolerant of your behavior lately because I know that what you are going through is not easy but my patience is running very thin." He warned, "Either take that correction and get yourself straightened out or I will straighten you out myself am I understood?"

"Fine," I conceded with a sigh, "are we done here?"

"I mean it, straighten yourself out or I will, I am done with the attitude." He reminded before grabbing the handle on the door and releasing me back to class.

***

By lunch I was slowly morphing back to feeling normal. I had taken heed to Nick's warning and taken my correction as soon as first block was over. My little diabetic rebellion was fun while it lasted but I did not want Nick 'straightening me out' the last thing I needed was to add grounding or a blistered butt to my list of ills. Opening my locker I deposited my books inside before slamming the door closed to reveal Matt.

"Can I help you?"

Matt let out a sigh, "Can we talk?"

I shrugged only giving him a fraction of my attention, "Talk."

"I'm sorry for the way I acted the other day at your house," He said dipping his head to lock his eyes with mine. "I was a jerk."

"To put it lightly," I added, Matt nodded in agreement.

"You were yelling at me and I got defensive...it's just..." Matt paused bringing his hand up to rub the back of his neck nervously, "I know that I wasn't there for you when I should have been but, you and I had a good thing going before and I don't know what I did to make you hate me or how to fix it."