XIII - The Date

We chatted inside for a bit, then decided to leave for dinner. He helped me step into his large, black Jeep, then walked around to the other side. We both put our seat belts on and got settled in, then he put the keys into the ignition. After backing out of the garage and down the driveway, he put the car into drive and headed down the street.

He placed his large hand on my thigh, his left hand still holding the steering wheel. He glanced at me to make sure I was comfortable, and I definitely still was. This was nice.

We drove for about an hour, talking about random things. When we pulled up to the restaurant my first impression was: expensive.

We walked inside and were taken to the table they'd given us for our reservation. A couple minutes later a waiter my age came over.

"Good evening, my name is Travis and I'll be your server tonight. Can I start you off with something to drink? Perhaps some wine?" He asked. He was tall, brunette, somewhat muscular. His light brown hair was fairly short and a bit curly, and he had an adorable smile. If I wasn't here on a date, I'd be swooning over him. But right now, my mind was completely focused on the handsome man sitting across from me.

"Can I just have a water please?" I asked him.

"Of course," he smiled, and I swear he winked at me.

"I'll have a glass of wine, please. Bring me your most popular red," Shawn said firmly. Why was he acting...jealous?

We skimmed over our menus until Travis came back with our drinks.

"Do you know what you would like to order? Or do you need a few more minutes?"

"I'm all set, have you decided on what to eat hun?" Shawn asked, closing his menu and handing it to Travis.

Hun? Now he was just getting over protective. Does he not see that he has nothing to worry about?

"Yeah, may I have the pasta primavera please?" I ordered, handing him my menu.

"Sure thing. And for you, sir?" He asked, turning to Shawn.

"I would like the steak, with a side of mashed potatoes and the vegetable medley please."

"Alright, your food should be out shortly," and with a nod and a tight smile, he left to go place our orders.

"So what do you think of the waiter?" Shawn asked blatantly, casually taking a sip of his wine.

I couldn't help but laugh for a moment before I answered, he was being so immature.

"Shawn, is an eighteen year old boy really making you insecure?" I laughed. "Yes, he's good looking, and I'll admit that, but I'm here on a date with you. So stop paying attention to the waiter and just focus on us, please. I want this night to be special," I said, giving him a soft smile as I reached for his hand across the table.

He turned his palm upwards, gently resting my hand in his. He stroked the back of my hand with his thumb, gazing into my eyes.

"I'm sorry Maggie, I'm being childish," he chuckled. "You're just so beautiful, I can't expect other guys to not be attracted to you."

The rest of the night went smoothly, and we enjoyed each other's company to the fullest.

When Travis came over with the bill, all hell broke loose.

He handed Shawn the bill, then slipped me a small piece of paper. Shawn pretended not to notice, but I'm sure he did.

"Let me at least pay for the tip," I offered, trying to be polite.

"He's lucky if I leave him a tip," Shawn muttered, just barely loud enough for me to hear him.

"I've got it all covered, but thank you," he smiled.

We left the restaurant around nine o'clock, and got into his Jeep.

We've been driving for almost twenty minutes now, and Shawn hasn't said a word. I reached over and picked his right hand up off of his lap, intertwining it with my left.

"What's wrong?" I asked him, leaving a soft kiss on the back of his hand.

He stayed silent, unsure of if he should speak or not. 

"Is it because the waiter gave me his number?" I asked and he nodded, clearly embarrassed that this is what's bothering him.

"Shawn, I didn't even take the paper with me," I laughed, telling the truth. "I crumpled it up with my napkin and tossed it onto my plate."

"Oh...," he said, speaking for the first time since we left the restaurant.

"Can I ask you something?"

"Of course," he replied, glancing over at me.

"What do you want out of this? Us, I mean."