XXIX - No Doubts

After practice I left the locker room as quickly as possible. Even if my friends were acting like they're okay with me and Shawn, there's still a weird vibe in the air.

I walked down the empty halls alone, heading to Shawn's classroom. I closed the door behind me when I walked in, finding him erasing the chalkboard.

"Hi gorgeous," he smiled, setting down the eraser and wiping the chalk powder off of his hands.

"Hi babe," I half smiled, kissing him on the cheek and walking over to his desk. I took a seat in his chair as he began writing tomorrow's lesson plan on the board.

"Is everything okay?" he asked.

"The girls found out about us."

He turned to look at me, a worried expression written all across his face.

"How?"

"When you had to go move your car after school today. They put two and two together that the black Jeep was yours.

"How did they react?" he questioned, going back to what he was doing.

"Surprisingly well, which makes me nervous and slightly suspicious if I'm being honest. I didn't tell them we're dating, they just know we hooked up. Molly's still pissed at me for it, and for hooking up with you again after promising her I wouldn't see you anymore."

He stopped writing again and set the chalk down in the tray, turning to look at me as he slid his hands into his pockets.

"You promised her you would't see me anymore?" he asked, his voice more quiet than usual.

"No! Shawn, of course not. I mean, yes, technically I did promise her that, but I didn't mean it. God, what is happening to me? I'm lying to my best friend and sneaking around behind her back. I've been lying to my friends, my mom, what else is next? Shawn I care about you so much, but the lies need to stop," I said, finally spilling the thoughts I'd been having for weeks.

"What are you trying to say, Maggie? You can't honestly tell me that you walked into this situation and didn't expect to have to tell a few lies every now and then. I am your teacher and you are my student. If anyone found out about us, which some already have, there would be an unfathomable amount of consequences. I would get fired, and my teaching license could get suspended or revoked. What about you? You would earn the most awful reputation, Maggie. Believe me, I hate the lies just as much as you do, but if we want to be together that's a sacrifice we're going to have to make," he said, his voice raising slightly throughout his speech.

My eyes began to tear up as I stood up out of his seat and walked towards him, my arms wrapping tightly around his torso.

"I'm so sorry," I said, a tear rolling down my cheek as I buried my head into his chest.

"It's okay love, everything will be okay," he soothed, kissing the top of my head as he rubbed my back, holding me tightly against his chest.

-

After I got home I ate dinner with my mom then headed upstairs to shower. Afterwards I threw on a big t-shirt and a pair of underwear, then went over to my desk to start my homework.

After about ten minutes of attempting to start an assignment, I got bored. We didn't have school tomorrow because it was a faculty day, so I called Ronnie to ask if she wanted to sleep over. She said yes, of course, and that she'd be over in ten minutes.

I headed downstairs when the doorbell rang and let her inside, then we both went back up to my room.

By now it was quarter of eleven, and we decided to go down into my basement to have some fun. My brother and his friends used to hangout in the basement all the time, so it was nice down there. (See chapter cover photo)

Ronnie immediately went behind the bar, making both of us Shirley Temples with more than enough vodka. We each sat down on a barstool and began to talk.

After about an hour we were both on our third drink. "So, can I ask about you and Mr. Mendes?" she questioned, holding the thin black straw up to her lips and taking a sip.

"What do you want to know?" I asked.

"It's not a one time thing, is it?"

I didn't know what to say, so I remained silent for a second too long.

"I'll take that as a yes," she laughed slightly, "It's okay Mags, I promise I won't tell absolutely anyone."

Whether it was the fact that she's one of my best friends, or the large amount of alcohol I've consumed in a short amount of time, I believed her.

"How'd you know?" I spoke quietly, taking a small sip of my drink.

"It wasn't too hard to figure out, honestly. I mean I doubt anyone else could but I'm your best friend, of course I'd be able to," she laughed. "You're just always staying after or going in early to see him, you always have 'mysterious' plans, things like that. Plus, do you even realize the way he looks at you?"

"What do you mean?" I questioned, a small smile forming on my lips.

"During class, when everyone is focusing on their assignments, sometimes I'll look up and notice him staring at you. He always has a soft expression on his face and a small smile. His head is slightly tilted and his eyes are kind. They're so full of something, Maggie, and whatever that is I'd kill to have it. It looks amazing. Like he's in some kind of trance, almost. I'd love for any guy to look at me with even half the adoration he looks at you with. He looks at you like you're responsible for putting the damn stars in the sky, Maggie. I think he's in love with you."

I couldn't help but smile at what Ronnie just said, my heart melting as butterflies flew around in my stomach. "Thanks Ronnie," I said.

"For what?"

"For making any doubts I had about him, or about us, go away."

"Glad I could help," she smiled, leaning forwards to give me a hug.

-

If you guys need new songs to listen to check out:

September Song - JP Cooper

Solo Dance - Martin Jensen

Another Day in Paradise - Quinn XCII

They're all really good and upbeat and kind of electronic lol I don't know how to describe them but I've been obsessed with them lately so feel free to check them out(: