Day 12 - A prized possession

Hi my beautiful people,

Let me tell you how happy I am. I woke up this morning and didn't realize that it rained so much last night that it snowed. I went out to target and had to swim my way out in the parking lot to my car. If you know me at all, I DON'T swim... I can't... But my shoes were soaking wet, and it was all a mess. NOW I went home, I went back to scrapbooking again. That means my room looks a total mess. I will clean it in a little bit. I have completed 3, let me say that again...THREE WHOLE pages...

Anyways, you're probably wondering what is it with this picture I have posted? Well, give me a moment and I will tell you. The picture on the right (or wherever it is situated for you) is a picture of a dictionary. I know, it's ancient, it's falling apart, in other words, it has seen better days. YET, it is one of my prized possession.

I think one of the thing I inherited from both my parents, is my undying love for books. When I was a little girl, I remember coming home with tons of books, that I had gotten from the school library. I would read them, then get my mom to read them. Later we would always discuss the books. Thoughout my adolescence, I watched my dad build a library with rows and rows of books. When I turned 14, he gave them to me. ME. Imagine my joy....

My dad always encouraged me to read, to write, and at 14 I wrote (in French). My friend and I co wrote about 3 books, which got published in Haiti. Then I moved to the USA, I left my library, I forgot most of my French, and I stopped writing. Even when it was a struggle to learn English, I still loved reading, so I read. My dad pushed me to read and speak English. He told me "If you can write me a book in English, I will do anything to get it published."

Sadly that never happened, because my dad even though he meant what he said, was a sick man. His health always kept him in hospital rooms, where he spent a lot of holidays, and some of his birthdays. I still have not told you about the books you're looking at. This is, NO this was MY dad's dictionary. At the end of his life, we had little left to remember him by. Not many pictures, not many posessions (at least nothing that we could take with us)

This, this is all we have to remember him by. This little run down dictionary with pages waiting to crumble under any little weight, is all. This little pocket dictionary is a prized possession, possibly not just to me, but to my sisters too.

Food For Thought

There are no bad people, only people with bad ideas. Have compassion towards such people, and help them sober up from the influence of bad ideas.