Chapter 94: The Only Choice

PAULENE

My body feels so heavy as I drag myself to school.

The semester is about to end and the people I learned to love made a joke out of me. Made me an object of a bet. It wasn't luck or destiny that I met them. It was their mission. Every kindness they've given me, they had ulterior motives behind.

And I'm just worth five hundred dollars.

The friendship I so treasured was a fake. A really good act.

Their smiles, their concern, all of which aren't real.

Even James-- why'd he wait this long to tell me?

Did they really call off the bet? It doesn't change the fact that for so long, I was played on.

I couldn't trust anyone else besides my family anymore.

It hurts to think that the most wonderful memories I had in Miami isn't real.

Moving to America wasn't a new beginning. It's one sick joke.

How can I know now what's real and what's not? Who really is Franz Richmond? Who really is Ashton Harding?

Maybe, it was Josh who meant real. Who needed more of my understanding.

I take a deep breath as I entered the classroom for my Ancient and Medieval Political Theories class.

I then see Franz smiling at me, he had band-aids on his eyebrow and the edge of his lips.

I averted my gaze from him.

For how long can I endure this?

For how long can I stay strong?

I've been so used to run to him, be with him.

I miss him so much.

"So finals is near. I suggest that you look for a study buddy or study in a group. The coverage is from lesson 1 to the lesson we will be having today," Professor McCullough announced.

My heart felt crushed as I remember studying together with Franz.

He heaved out a sigh and said, "I asked you a question. What are the main classes of people in Plato's ideal society?"

"The Rich, Middle Class, and the Poor," I answered.

"Close, but, no. In Plato's philosophy, the three kinds of people are..."

He then took my hand. 

His touch was warm and it caused my heart to beat so fast. 

He then held my hand and pressed it on my forehead.

"First, the Guardians or the rulers. They are the head of the body. They do the thinking and decision making. They run the state," He went on to explain as he moved my hand to my chest.

"The second class of people are the Auxiliaries. They are the warriors, the soldiers. They are like the heart. They must be brave and full of love for the state."

My body tensed. 

"And the third--" He held my hand and placed it on my abdomen. "--are the Producers. They are the farmers, merchants, craftsmen, and the like. They make sure that you are provided with your physiological needs such as hunger."

I then remember our almost kiss.

But why didn't he kiss me when he had the chance? I could've fallen for him then and there.

I stare at his brown, curly hair.

More memories came flashing back to me.

Franz and Ashton were the closest friends I had here.

A part of me wishes I never knew about this bet.

No, I must not be weak.

I could find better friends, real friends.

I could fall in love to someone else. One who truly loves me.

As I promised Josh,

"Just, let me be the last guy who made you cry. Don't let any other asshole get a single tear out of you."

For now, I have the final exams to look forward to.

FRANZ

It kills me. How she's so near yet so far. But, I will wait.

If that time when she will welcome me again never comes, I will still look out for her. Even from afar. I will love her silently if that will give her comfort. It's too late to make myself forget her. That's the only impossible thing I could not do for her. I've carefully tended the seed she planted in my heart. Now the roots are strong, the seed has grown into a tree.

To love her-- that's the only choice I have left.

 ASHTON

"What's up, Dad?"

He was busy punching digits on the calculator. 

"Trying to check our expenses. I've been thinking of building a car parts and supply shop," He said as he wrote something on a notebook.

"Maybe next year, I would already have enough money," He added.

"That sounds great," I said, my own voice betraying me.

"Are you alright son?"

I gave Dad a nod before climbing up to my room.

I could help Dad and give Nash everything he wanted-- secure his future.

I guess it's the only choice I have left.

I dialed Eric's mobile.

"Ashton? Sup?"

"Where are you? You have the contract with you?" 

"Hallelujah! Yes I do. Come over at my place now."

--

A/N: Hello reader! Profundity is not available at the moment since she's been admitted to the hospital. She'll be posting again once she is out of there. She just asked me to publish this chapter while she is gone. Thank you for all the love and support. :)

~my invisible support accidentally deleted the chap 95 as it is an extension of 94; nevertheless, thank you so much for the support that you have for me!!!