Chapter 52: New Chapters of Life

PAULENE

I knock on Krista's bedroom door.

"Come in," She called out.

She's packing her things already.

Tomorrow is the day she will be moving to her apartment. 

I sit on the edge of her bed while watching her pace around and stuff things inside her duffel bag.

"This is for real?" I asked, my voice cracking.

I cleared my throat.

"Yes, Pau. Look, I'll just move to an apartment building not too far from here. It's not like I am moving out of the state or to a different country." She let out a laugh.

"Why'd you really have to move out?" 

"Because if I don't move out now, I'll never be able to do so. I'll be stuck with Mom and Dad. It's not a bad thing, but, I also have to go on my own. Soon, you will understand," She said as she was zipping her bag. She then put padlocks on both her duffel bag and roller bag.

I knew this time would come, but, I didn't know it would come this soon.

"I'll miss you," I whispered.

"God, Paulene! We have cellphones, we have SMS, Viber, Wechat, Kik, Skype, name it!" She cried out before rolling her eyes at me.

"No one's gonna drive me to school anymore."

"I'll tell Mom and Dad to let you take driving lessons," She replied.

"I can't even tell them to buy me a new phone, how much more a car?" 

"Seriously? I'll get you a phone on your birthday, ask them to get you a car," She said, taking her seat beside me.

She continued, "We can still eat lunch together, watch a movie, and go shopping. I'll sleep here on some weekends and I'll definitely be here on holidays. You can also sleepover at my apartment."

We both fell silent for a while.

"This is the time that we hug," I say to her.

She then pulled me close and gave me a really tight embrace.

FRANZ

I can't concentrate on the professor. 

Paulene is distracting me.

It's not like she is doing anything.

Her mere presence is affecting me in ways I could not fathom.

I have been like this for two weeks since that time at the funfair.

Get your head in Sociology, Franz.

"Hey," I was startled and then I realized it was Paulene.

"Yeah?" I whispered to her.

"Do you know someone who can edit videos? We need help for our Psychology project," She whispered back.

"I do. I can edit videos. What is it about?" 

"Can you help us? It's about love and attraction and the hormones involved. It has to be at least 7 minutes, like a short movie. We already shot the video last weekend. We just don't know how to edit it. I mean, I can edit, but, I know it'll turn out crappy. No one in the group is confident enough to take the responsibility." She looked at me pleadingly.

How on earth can I resist that look?

"Alright," I replied.

She grinned at me. "We will pay you."

"There's no need for that."

"No. I insist," She said before turning to face the professor again.

"How about lunch later as payment?" I suggested.

She turned to face me again. "Didn't Ashton invite you? It's his younger brother's birthday. After I meet with members from the Canadian Club, I will go there. He said he prepared everything. I want to know how well he cooks. Don't you?"

She then gave me a smile.

Ashton did not invite me.

It's not a shock to me anymore.

Of course, he wants Paulene all to himself.

"He didn't invite me," I said.

She looked surprised. "That's odd. It's good if you could come. Tiffany will be there. She is my groupmate for this Psychology project I asked you to help us with. We could discuss it there."

Tiffany and Paulene, groupmates?

I remember how Tiffany acted around Paulene last time at the cabin. She hated Paulene because Ashton gave her a ride home.

And Ashton invited Tiffany?

If he wants to get close with Paulene, why did he invite Tiffany?

"I just texted him if you could come along. Maybe he just forgot to invite you," Paulene said while tapping on her phone.

After a few moments, she showed me the screen of her iPhone, I ignored the cracks and read the text from Ashton,

"Sure. ask franz 2 come. tell him he shud come. nash likes him plus he knws his way here, u can both go 2gethr. sorry cant pick u up. bc here. nashs classmates will be here. i think some moms will be coming over 2. hahahahahhaa"

Maybe today is not about the bet. It is Nash's day. Everyone knows Ashton loves his brother so much.

I remember playing with Nash. That was about 2 years ago. He must have liked me then, but, I doubt if he still remembers me now.

"What time should we go?" I asked Paulene.

"Lunch time. I'm gonna cut Literature and College Math." She said before giving me a wink.

"Bad Paulene. I think I'll be bad as well. I'll go. I'm afraid you won't get there if I don't. How were you originally planning to get there yourself?" I snickered.

"Bus? I'll ask Ashton for directions?" 

I chuckled. "You said you still have to meet with your org mates, right? I have a class after this. Let's just text each other and meet somewhere. We then go to Ashton's."

"Yessir!" She said before turning her attention back to our professor.

"Oh wait--" I look at her as she faced me.

"We have to buy a gift," She continued.

"That's right. Hmm. We should drop by a mall on our way there," I suggested.

She nodded.

--

Hope you enjoyed this chapter! :) Thank you for reading! Will write the next chapter shortly. Multiple updates today to make up for the days I've been gone! :)

This chapter is dedicated to katie-ann9316! Thank you for the love and support you have been giving this story. I hope you will keep on loving it! :) It's okay if you haven't made up your mind who you want for Paulene yet. We are on the same boat! :D