Chapter 2: New Beginnings

PAULENE

It's my first day of classes here at the reputed Artes et Scientias University Florida. It also marks my first day of being a college student. This is also the perfect opportunity to finally get over Josh. That jerk.

My heart still kind of aches but I know I have to move on. I just realized how hard it is to do so. I used to mock exaggerated drama on TV. Now, I just feel like I am part of some melodramatic music video.

When I asked him about that Facebook comment from Jenny Diaz, he just got all defensive telling me that I've always been the annoying, overly clingy kind of girlfriend who would just jump into conclusions.

After our many confrontations regarding our issues on the phone, he finally admitted that he and Jenny were never really over.

Jenny knew I'm the girlfriend ever since. Even when I was still in Canada, they kept communicating as friends.

Then, now that I'm miles away, the old fire burned again.

Wow.

It only means that he never really loved me for a friggin' 1 year and 6 months.

Also, he probably only wanted me because I was near. I was the most accessible. We were classmates, and at the same time, neighbors.

And why do I get the feeling that Jenny is better in blowing his whistle?

I just wanna say a series of swear words right now.

I heave out a sigh as I try to take my mind off Josh.

Hmm... I arrived quite early for my first class. Call me excited.

There are already a few people inside the lecture hall. There are about a hundred seats.

College.

I can't help but smile.

I like arriving early to classes ever since because I am very particular as to where I am seated.

I'm not that diligent or nerdy. I try paying attention to lectures- really, I try. It doesn't always work out that way, though.

I study whenever I have to, but, I've never been really grade conscious.

I don't mind cutting classes, but, I understand very well of my obligations.

I sat somewhere in the middle but not along the aisles.

More and more people filled the room as time passed. 10 minutes before 8 and there are close to a hundred students already.

I like the academic ambiance. I guess I don't miss high school at all. Oh, but, snowy cold Canada. How come I'm not melting here in Miami?

I wish the professor would arrive any time now because I am already getting bored of playing Subway Surf on my iPhone.

"Ah, one of those endless games."

I look up at the voice and saw a curly brown-haired guy with beautiful green eyes peeking on my phone.

Oh, and that jawline.

I kept scanning him, down to his adam's apple, his broad shoulders, and I can see a nice, hard chest through his gray V-neck shirt--

"Are you done checking me out?"

"No, no. I, uhh-- what?"

I paused, realizing how much of a moron I must look like right now.

He just smirked.

I turned to face the professor, but, my mind was still on a lag.

What was the first thing this hot guy said to me? I turned to look down on my phone.

Oh. Endless game.

"Yeah. Endless!" I blurted out.

"I-I uhh... I mean, there's no f-finish line. The game is quite unfair, I must say. I'm playing this game almost every single day, and at the end, always, the fat cop and his dog catches me."

He stared at me before giving me a really cute smile any girl would fall in love to.

But damn it! Did I just ramble?

I then suddenly had this urge to bang my head on something really, really hard.

FRANZ

I swear I saw her blush. Or her cheeks are just rosy.

She had that very cute faint pink on her cheeks, which I hope is not make up.

She looks simple, yet somehow, she exudes class.

However, she is far from the girl of my dreams, one with blonde hair and a face that of a doll's--

I painfully close my eyes as I try to take my mind off of my long time.

She's okay but I don't find anyone else more attractive than...

I let out a sigh.

Yet, I can't seem to help myself from looking at her using my peripheral vision. Well yeah, that's my discreet way of checking some girl out. You would not want to make them think that you're a cheap, hormonal teenage boy. It may seem like I'm staring only at the teacher, but no.

The professor just kept talking about the school, what's going to happen, and expectations for the course. I just realized how much of a bigger deal it is in college. He already took up 40 minutes for orientation.

I find myself just doodling on my iPad.

"Hey! What's your major, by the way?"

I just kept doodling, not facing her.

"Political Science."

"Seriously?" She gasped.

"No. I'm joking."

"Alright, play sarcastic. I'm taking up Political Science too."

I looked at her and smirked. I turned to look at the professor as if I cared when all I could think about now is how I'm looking forward to take more classes with her.

She's quite interesting.

"Isn't it quite funny? How majors are more important than names now?" I said, not turning my head to face her. I guess it's just cooler that way. They say girls nowadays want to do the chasing.

"Well, I guess it is."

I finally turn to face her.

"Franz. You?"

I smiled, waiting for her to give me her name in reply.

She seemed to be ignoring me as she started taking something down.

I waited a little bit more.

"Okay class. See you tomorrow," Said the professor lazily.

This nameless chick started fixing her things. So now what? She's playing deaf while I'm left here to look like a fool waiting for an answer? I pretended to fix some things inside my sling bag while waiting for her to finally say something.

Next thing I see is her walking out of the lecture hall.