Chapter 57: Sapphire

PAULENE

What was that?

I wonder what's wrong.

It was really weird. I never thought I'd see Ashton that angry. 

I admit I was honestly scared of him for a moment, but then, he seemed to have mellowed when his Dad approached him.

"Hey, Krista. Drive me home," I asked her as she was unlocking her car.

"Sure. You missed me already?" She let out a laugh before waving good bye to Horace, James, and Eric as they got in Horace's car.

"Too bad, I was about to ask if I could drive you home," Franz whispered beside me.

I turn my head to face him.

"Thanks for taking me here," I said. I then gave him a smile. 

He returned the smile and walked towards his car.

"Take care!" I called out to him.

Krista also gave him a wave.

I heave out a sigh as I strapped on my seat belt.

"I wonder if Ashton will be fine," I said to Krista as she started her car.

"Forgive him. He is going through rough times," She answered.

"What do you mean?" I asked her.

"His mother showed up earlier before you were at the party," Krista explained, her eyes still on the road.

She continued, "He was in a really pleasant mood before his Mom showed up, you know, typical cheerful and lively Ashton Harding."

"We were at his room when the door bell rang. We expected that it would be Tiffany. James was getting hungry that he wanted to get something to eat already, and when he opened the door, we heard Ashton shout at someone. We thought it was Tiffany he was shouting to, so of course, we went down to check out if things are okay."

"We saw that it wasn't Tiffany Ashton was talking to. It was, as Horace told me, his mother. When I got a better look, I saw that she and Ashton looked really alike. Only that, she is a woman, older, and thinner. She also had that jet black hair and those sapphire eyes like Ashton's."

"Sapphire," I repeated.

Ashton's eyes are, indeed, like burning sapphire gems.

Krista went on, "Obviously, they don't have a good relationship. Horace told me that that woman ruthlessly left them for a richer man three years ago. Nash was so little then, poor little guy. But, Ashton, you know, he is what? 20? 21 now?"

"Twenty-one," I said.

"Alright, 21. So, he was 18 or 19 when his mother left him. I am sure that he witnessed all the fights, the separation, and everything, you know?  It must be so hard for him. Then after three years, this woman who left them pops up again? Honestly, I hate his mother." Krista then sighed heavily.

Wow. I did not know Ashton was carrying such heavy emotional baggage.

I thought of the possibility that his mother may have passed away. But, I think, that would have been easier to take than what he is going through right now.

I also thought that his Mom and Dad may have separated, but, I assumed it would have been mutual and consensual. I never thought it could be this, this, uhh... dramatic.

Ashton is a strong guy. I have grown more respect for him now. He is always so happy, so lively. He sings like he has everything he could ever want. He acts like he is perfectly contented and satisfied with his life. 

I didn't know he had those pent-up emotions in him.

I picture him inside my head. The way he smiled at me earlier, maybe that's why it seemed so sad. His sapphire eyes were so lonely.

But, after that, he carried himself so well throughout the party that I forgot the glimpse of loneliness I saw. 

I really feel sad for him.

I wish I could do something to make him feel better.

I want to see those sapphire eyes burn with happiness and excitement again. Just like how his eyes looked like when we were at the fair looking up at the fireworks.

Those eyes can also be as calm as the Pacific Ocean. I remember how just one look at his eyes calmed and pacified me after a crazy ride on the Swinging Boat. 

I'd do anything to see his eyes look at me with expressions that are anything but sad.

--

Check out the photo on the Multimedia! LOOK INTO ASHTON'S SAPPHIRE EYES! O_O You can also watch the trailer again. Teehee!

This chapter is dedicated to silent_rogue! :) Enjoy this chapter! I hope you continue showing your love and support! <3

Next chapter coming up! :D Multiple updates as promised, right? Keeping my word for everyone! Vote and comment if you wish! ;)