Chapter 93: For the Boys

ASHTON

"Son, it's James," Dad called out to me.

"I'm in my room!" I called back.

"How're you feeling?" James asked as he entered my room.

"Not too bad except for my hand. However, I can still play the guitar like a badass rockstar," I showed him my bandaged hand.

"You hit him too hard."

"He started it. What I don't get is why he would do that? I couldn't sleep all night, racking my brain on the why," I told James.

"I think I know why," James said.

I raised my eyebrow.

 James went on, "I told Paulene about the bet."

"You what?!"

I felt my blood pressure rising.

"Wait, before you beat me up in that state, let me finish. I told Paulene because she had to know. It's wrong that you guys played her. And then Franz found out. He must've thought you were the one who spilled it."

I guess I can see what's happening now.

Fucking James. I never thought he'd be a big-mouthed asshole. Besides, I almost forgot about the bet.

"I did it for Paulene. I don't regret doing the right thing," He added.

"But the bet is off. We called it off," I replied.

"Seriously? When?" He asked, looking really surprised.

"I don't remember when exactly. I think it was after I came back from Orlando."

That's right. Franz asked to meet up with me days after I got back here from Granny's burial.

"Damn. You didn't tell me. I think I messed up real bad," James said in a low voice.

"Oh yes you did, James. If only I wasn't too tired, I would've beaten the crap out of you for being so talkative." Truth is, I'm kind of relieved that this happened. It's like a big load was removed from my shoulders.

But, I understand why Franz got so furious. He just confessed to Paulene. It must be really bad for him now.

We both really have to apologize to Paulene.

We need to talk-- the three of us.

But, I guess I have to have a chat with Franz alone first.

"I'll just tell Paulene that I didn't know you already called the bet off a long time ago." James paced around my room.

"Yeah. You should."

I'm so sorry, Paulene.

I really am.

You must feel really terrible.

"I'm sorry, Ashton. I messed up," James said.

I smirked at him.

"You won't ask me if I could just tell Paulene that there was no bet? That it was just a joke?" He asked with a grin.

"Naaahh. She deserves the truth. It's the least we could do," I answered.

"And I would not lie to her in the first place." James smiled.

FRANZ

"Where are you going, Sir?" Nurse Elise asked.

"I'm fine now, Elise. It's not like I got hit by a truck," I said as I got up my bed.

"But, your mother said--"