Chapter 14: May the Best Man Win

ASHTON

Here I am, waiting for Paulene to pass by, same place where we ran into each other yesterday. I arrived a bit early to be sure.

Luck, please be on my side.

FRANZ

Why does she seem so allergic to me? She even transferred here in front just to be away from me. That I'm sure of now. If it was really because of her "near sightedness", then why would she exchange seats with Asian girl?

This Asian girl looks quite cute too.

"Okay, class. So, to wrap it up, Sociology is a study of human society, its origins, how it developed, the organizations and institutions, social activities, and human relationships-- it's a really fun course, don't you think? Now remember Comte, Marx, Spencer, Durkheim, and other important persons in Sociology. Study about the foundations of the academic discipline. Aside from what we discussed, research and find out more. There will be a quiz tomorrow. Bye everyone."

"Hey Paulene," I said to her as she was putting her things inside her bag.

"What is it, Franz?" She asked coldly.

"What time is your next class?"

"After lunch. 1:30 PM," She said in that same tone.

Why is she being so cold? Hmm.

But, she has 3-4 hours of vacant time. I try to hide my smile. I can afford to cut my next class.

"Are you mad at me? Did I do something to make you angry? Did I do something that offended you last night? I was kind of drunk then."

"Uhh. No, Franz. You did not." She then gave me a nervous smile.

Maybe I was coming on too strong. Maybe she is freaking out.

I guess that's it.

I admit that I'm kind of feeling hurt...

... And insecure.

"I don't believe you." I put on my cutest sorry puppy face which even my mother could not resist.

Her expression changed into something that looked quite apologetic.

Girls can be so damn hard to understand.

"Okay, if you really mean the No, then, it would be perfectly fine for me to take you somewhere to eat, right? It'll be really sad to eat alone. Plus, I'm so hungry. I haven't eaten anything since I woke up. I have a slight headache from last night too. Come on! We're a team, remember?" I winked at her.

I guess, giving her a little guilt trip won't hurt.

Yes, Paulene. Remember that I drank way too much beer than I could handle just for you.

Remember that.

She bit her soft lips.

Damn woman. You don't do that in front of a man.

Focus, Franz. This is a bet for Tiffany.

I gave her my boy-next-door smile, hoping it would do the trick.

"Fine," Those soft lips said.

I can't help but smile a genuine one this time.

PAULENE

Damn it. I guess I have to do this. He was nothing but nice to me. I also have to make up for all the weirdness I showed him. He might think I'm a lunatic.

The incubus is a fictional character. He is just friendly guy.

Stop being so assuming for once, Pau.

Relax. It's not a date. You could use an early lunch. I guess that one slice of wheat bread isn't enough.

We walked out of the hall together. It feels rather awkward so I sped up a bit.

"Hey! Where are you going? Let's take this way instead. I parked my car over there," Franz called out to me.

ASHTON

Damn it. Where is she? Patience was never my virtue. I have to praise myself for managing to wait for this long. I don't think I can wait any longer.

I hate that it's a big school with about 7,000 students. Fuck this.

This is hopeless. I wonder how I can pull this off. I can't lose 500 bucks.

I don't even know anything about her besides her first name, how she looks, and that her sister dates my band mate.

That's it!

Horace.

--

This chapter is dedicated to princess_oo6 and to everyone else who read, voted, and commented. Thank you so much!

This chapter marks the end of my first week here on Wattpad. I honestly did not expect to be well-received here.

This story is my first story-- ever. I have always been a writer, but, I never wrote about Romance. I never tried writing a book!

1,117 reads and 133 votes in seven days. It means so much to me. :')

Again, THANK YOU!

I hope you would keep on showing your love and support. The hard work of updating daily is definitely worth it when you know people are waiting for a next chapter.

- profundity