Chapter 75: Run More, Never Turn Back

PAULENE 

I blink my eyes a few more times.

And when he smiled that smile I am familiar with, I felt immobilized and rooted on the spot. 

Everything else was beginning to blur, only this man whom I used to love but had hurt me so badly was clear and his image was getting clearer and clearer as he walked closer and closer.

And closer.

And even closer.

Why can't I move an inch, damn it.

I need to move away.

I need to run away.

"Paulene? Did you miss me?"

And for some reason, I was able to break away from his snare that trapped me powerless.

I turned around and ran as fast as I could without turning back, running as if my entire life depended on it.

I didn't mind the stairs. I just ran down as fast as I could.

Running away from the one who crushed my poor heart.

Running as fast as I could while tears streamed down my face.

Run more, never turn back.

My vision is watery, my mind is clouded, and my heart in so much unfathomable pain.

And everything just fades into darkness.

ASHTON

"Man, I got to go," Horace said with much urgency while his eyes are fixed on his phone.

"Why? What's up?" I asked.

"Come on, the Battle of the Bands is in two weeks," Eric stammered.

"Krista needs me right now. She's going crazy. Paulene got into an accident. She was rushed to the hospital," Horace growled.

Paulene. Accident. Hospital.

Fuck!

"I'm coming with you. Let's go," I said as I dropped my guitar.

Paulene, what happened?

Damn it.

Nothing bad should happen to you.

Please.

Please be fine.

Oh God, please don't let anything too bad happen to her.

FRANZ

I bit my lip as I pace back and forth outside the emergency room. 

"Oh my God! Franz! What happened to her?!" Krista was screaming as she was running towards me.

"I went here as fast as I could. What happened?! Oh God." Krista was crying now.

I pulled her close, "Calm down, Krista. She'll be fine."

I hope she will be.

Damn it. She should be fine.

Krista pulled away.

"Mom and Dad are on their way. What happened?" Krista asked.

"They said she fell down the stairs. There was a commotion and it so happened that I was parking near that building. And then I saw that it was Paulene they were carrying to the ambulance. I called you up and just followed the ambulance here."

The images of Paulene, bloody, being carried away, flash back to me.

I remember trying to run to her, having the urge to be the one to carry her here. But, she was being carried away.

My heart is stinging.

I feel useless, helpless. I want to do something. Anything to save her.

Anything.

"Jesus Christ," Krista whispered as she took a seat.

"Some of her orgmates in the Canadian Club took her here. I think they were also the one who called for help. They already left but some guy insisted to stay behind. He was the one who filled up the forms. He was here just a while ago. I think he'll be back in a few. I am guessing he was the one who found Paulene first."

A nurse went out of the emergency room.

Krista quickly rose from her seat and rushed to the nurse, "Is my sister going to be fine?"

The nurse nodded, "She lost a lot of blood, but, let's hope that she will be. We are trying our best. Your her sister? Can you please go with me, ma'am, to fill up some forms?"

"Let's go. Our parents are also on their way."

I am getting even more nervous.

Calm down, Franz.

Calm down.

She will be fine.

What if she won't be?

She will be!

I close my eyes and pray for her.

God knows I am no religious man, but, I pray to all gods my mother used to pray to.

Please, if you are there, keep her safe.

--

Hope you guys missed me! Things were just very busy, but, I hope you are still there. :) It's semestral break now and I'll keep the updates coming-- fast!

Now, there's an added motivation: The Watty Awards! :D Yay! I plan to complete the book soon so I can enter it! :D I hope you support the story all the way :') Let's finish this book together. Motivate me! :') Show some love and support.

You still there? Hmm? Leave a comment! And Vote if you like this chapter and want more! :3

Cheers! xx

This story is dedicated to Stargazing_Magenta27! Here's the update you've been waiting for! ;)