Chapter 40: The Predator and the Prey

PAULENE

Can this week get any worse?

McFuckingCullough just warned me about my marks and told me that I should do better.

I got 3 Fs in the quizzes already.

Not to mention that me and Tiffany are in the same group for our Psychology class' group project.

The only good things that happened to me this week so far were:

1) I didn't fail that Sociology long quiz. I got a C+. Yes, with the plus!

2) I see Franz in class everyday.

and

3) I have been eating lunch with cutiepie Ashton and his band since Monday. We had lunch at Spris, the Italian restaurant at South Beach, earlier. I especially love their calamari and thin-crusted pizza.  

And I think I'm having a crush on both Franz and Ashton! So slutty!

What's wrong with happy crushes anyway? Besides, I already have a lot of celebrity crushes so it's not a big deal to add two more from school.

I then stopped chuckling to myself when I realized that I should be really depressed now.

My mom would nag me if I don't get good grades.

I cannot imagine her reaction if I fail.

I put my thick copy of Alan Bloom's translation of Plato's The Republic inside my shoulder bag.

I heave a sigh. 

"Are you alright?"

I looked up at Franz and answered, "No. I'm failing. I honestly cannot understand the text and the professor isn't helping either." 

"You won't understand, anyway," I added as we made our way outside the class room.

He stopped walking.

I stop in my tracks as well.

He turned to face me and look me in the eye, giving me an expression of disbelief. "I listen to that McCullough while I see you chatting with that girl beside you who isn't getting good scores as well. Sometimes, I catch you staring at that big and too-muscled-he-must-be-at-the-gym-during-the-day-and-at-the-club-as-bouncer-at-night guy Malcolm Stevens."

He went on to ask, "And, how many hours have you spent reading the text? How many pages have you read?"

His words hit hard. 

It's true. I was busy talking to my seatmate. If not, I'm wondering how Malcolm got that err--buff. It's scary. He doesn't seem to have a neck anymore because of all those muscles.

At home, recently, I've been busy catching up episodes of The Vampire Diaries.

It's all your fault, Ian Somerhalder. I wouldn't watch that vampire show if not for you.

"Okay, I haven't been trying my best." I sighed in resignation.

"But, I tried to read the text once! They were arguing about what is Justice?! Seriously? It's driving me nuts."

He just smiled at me while shaking his head. 

Just suddenly, I stupidly uttered the words "Help me."

I guess I meant it. He really got good scores. I'm sure he will be a big help.

He gave me a smirk before turning around and continued walking at the hallway.

I walk fast and tried to catch up to him. "Please?"

"Hmm. Let me think about it first," He said smugly.

Wow.

Just wow.

I actually thought this guy was the nice and helpful type.

"Okay, never mind. I'll study it myself. I'll Google summaries and interpretations of the text. I'm sure I'll also find something in SparkNotes. Bye," I said to him before turning around to walk the opposite direction.

Jerk.

He thinks I'll go down my knees to beg him?

I have my own brains. I just need to study.

And no more Vampire Diaries.

But damn it. I find it really difficult to read that text. I'm not done with The Republic yet. Next week, we will already have a new reading material. Then, the week after that will be our first Exam week.

Hello College, where time flies so fast.

Now it's September and soon it'll be December. In a blink of an eye, it'll be January-- the start of another semester. 

I'm gonna study as soon as I get home.

FRANZ

Is it the best time to employ Robert Greene's Rule Number Five?

I recall the rule, "Art of Seduction Rule Number Five: Create a Need. Stir Anxiety and Discontent."

I continue to recite the words of the rule inside my head, "A perfectly satisfied person cannot be seduced. Tension and disharmony must be instilled in your target's mind."

But, being her study buddy would increase my chances of getting even closer, right?

What do I do now?

I actually thought the game of love was predictable and fairly easy.

I mean, game of seduction.

Not love.

Love?

Who's in love?

She should fall in love. 

I should make her fall in love.

No. Not love.

I now feel uncomfortable as the word resounds in my head.

I am the predator. She is the prey.

Perfect.

Good, brain. Good.

Now, you can calm down.

--

Heyya! myhiddenafair, I know you are Team Ashton, but, uhh! I hope you still like this Franz chapter! Hahaha! :P Anyway, I think this chapter is in favor of Ashton. >.>

Thank you so much for reading, everyone! xx

I hope this story is getting you more excited! My heart flutters when I read comments that say that this story is getting better. It definitely will get better! :D I can't wait to pull out the aces in my sleeve! ;)

Happy reading to you! Since I just had a good sleep and my boss still didn't assign me boring articles to write yet, I might as well make Chapter 41 already.

Show some love and support! Also, share this story to your friends! Let us all enjoy GTBIL together! ;) Btw, Beyond Promise just got into the What's Hot list of Historical Fiction! Thank you for those who read the blurb, watched the trailer, voted and commented! I have been receiving only good feed backs on the trailer!

Cheers! xx

PS. I hope you like the slideshow of the pics of the characters at the Multimedia. I'll post that whenever there are no fan-made banners, or no other photo that needs to be featured. Also posted this on Chapter 39! Sorry about the size differences. :D