Chapter 48: Play Fair

PAULENE

The ear-splitting volume of the sounds of trumpets and drums collided with the merry music of the fair. The song just ended and the next track on play is the song of that Korean guy who sang Gangnam Style. The only English words I could understand in the lyrics are the words "sexy" and "gentleman". There are other words that sound English, but, I'm not so sure.

"Mother fucker gentleman ♪ " Ashton sang along.

"Mother fucker? Seriously?" I asked him, laughing.

"Sounds like it," He replied nonchalantly.

Anyway, the tune is so happy just like how this place seems so lively and fun.

If I were a puppy, I would be wagging my tail in excitement right now as I look around and see colorful booths and tents, big rides, and happy people of all ages.

I let out a "Wow."

"Have you ever been to a fair?" Ashton asked.

"Canada holds the biggest fairs in North America, the Canada National Exhibition, but, truth is, I've never been to one," I reply softly as I stare at the Ferris Wheel. It looks so big even from where I am standing right now.

I am quite ashamed that I am an eighteen year old whose never ever ridden a Ferris Wheel before.

I was startled when Ashton placed his arm on my shoulders.

I look at him and found out that he was already looking at me.

We stare at each other for quite a while.

I can't seem to look away because his beautiful blue eyes are sucking me in.

I swallowed the lump forming in my throat with much difficulty as he was just looking at me with a smile on his face.

"Let's have fun," He said.

I nodded.

With that, he dragged me to a Cotton Candy stall, his arm still resting on my shoulders.

"Two, please," Ashton said to the old Cotton Candy man.

"How about one stick that's good for two?" Mr. Cotton Candy suggested before giving Ashton a wink.

"That's brilliant! Let's have that instead. We'd rather share." Ashton then pulled me closer to him.

Aren't we being too-- intimate?

This is getting me nervous.

Mr. Cotton Candy put in pink powder inside the machine before turning it on. 

I watch as pink webs started to form, getting thicker.

He then dipped a plastic stick into the machine's pan and twirled it. The webs then gathered on the stick. It's so cool.

After about a minute, the old man handed to me the puffy pink cotton candy with a smile.

"Do they call it Cotton Candy in Canada too?" He asked as we walked away from the Cotton Candy stall.

I swallowed the saliva collecting in my mouth before turning to Ashton. 

I just shrugged as I picked some of the candy and put it in my mouth. 

Wow. It's melting in my mouth.

I really thought you still have to chew it.

I swallow the now sweet liquid.

This is so addicting!

I ate some more.

He continued, "I hear that in some countries they call it Candy Floss."