Chapter 16: Of Beauty and Embarrassment

PAULENE

"This place is beautiful."

It's an English Garden restaurant. The lush green place is elegant but natural. There's this tranquil ambiance that is so relaxing. You can even hear birds chirping and twittering.

The sunlight and the cool wind blends, giving you a magical feeling. I inhaled deeply, trying to take it all in.

"This place is perfect in the morning, don't you think?"

"Yes. It's so beautiful. Thank you for taking me here, Franz," I answered sincerely.

We took the white round table beside the fountain which is just one big rock, about 6 feet high, with probably a hose through it and a hole at the top where the water passes through, cascading down through the rock's rough surfaces. It's beautiful.

Everything in this place is just beautiful.

A waiter came to ask for our orders and gave each of us the menu.

I looked at it. They serve English cuisine. The menu features a full English breakfast- eggs, sausages, black pudding, bacon, mushrooms, and beans. They also have Sunday Roast-roast potatoes, beef, lamb, pork, or chicken with an assortment of vegetables. It's quite pricey, though. I gulp.

I feel both lucky and stupid for being here.

How can I just immediately go with this guy without asking where exactly are we going and how much will we probably need.

I still have to save money for my phone in case Mom and Dad won't get me a new one.

Who would've thought that this was his idea of breakfast? I expected him to take me to a diner instead.

There! I can afford a coffee or tea.

"I'll just have one Cafe Americano, please," I said to the waiter, gave him a smile, and then put the menu down the table.

The waiter then wrote my order and turned to Franz.

"Is that all you're having?" Franz asked.

"Yes, I already ate at..."

My stomach then shamelessly growled. Franz eyes widened. I can see the waiter trying to stop himself from laughing.

Fuck. My. Life.

Please, Hades, let the ground swallow me now. Take me to the pits of the Underworld. I can no longer stay here in embarrassment.

I grabbed the menu again. Shit. I guess I'll have to spend now even if it means I will have to suffer for the rest of the week.

I looked for the cheapest dish I could find. I found a basket of hash browns worth 8 fucking dollars.

Damn it. I can make these hash browns at home.

"Is that all, ma'am? Drinks?" The waiter asked.

"I'll just have water. Forget the coffee," I grumbled.

"Hmm. I'll be having eggs and sausages. This one. I'll also get 1/4 roasted chicken, potatoes with gravy, these vegetables, and a pitcher of fruit juice. Hmm, I think orange juice is good," Franz said to the waiter.

Wow. He really is hungry.

I just looked down the entire time. I can feel my face burning. I must look like a tomato now. This is probably the most embarrassing time of my life.

We were silent until Franz thankfully broke the silence. I just hope this isn't about my growling stomach.

"So, you listen to the 90's?"

"Yes, I do. I love Pulp, The Verve, Radiohead, and the list goes on," I replied enthusiastically.

"I listen to those too. Let's listen to Radiohead on our way back to school," He said with a smile.

"You're quite interesting, Pau."

Here it goes again. My heart beating so fast.

He likes me. No, he doesn't. He just thinks you're interesting because of your shared interests. How can he like you after hearing your stomach growl? After acting like a weirdo in class?

"What are your classes for Thursdays and Fridays? We might be classmates. I already know that we only have Sociology together for Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays," He asked.

"10:30-12, I have General Psychology."

"Too bad, my Gen Psych is the 7:30-9 AM class. What else?"

"1:30 to 3 PM Science and Society, and 3-4:30 PM, my last class, Ancient and Medieval Political Theories."

"Cool! We're classmates in Ancient and Medieval Political Theories class. That means I get to see you everyday." He looked deeply into my eyes and then gave me a charming smile.

I looked away.

He must not look at me that way. He can't fall for me, most of all, I can't fall for him. Never again will I trust a guy. Josh looked at me the same way before.

Here I am again, jumping to conclusions because of one stare.

The waiter is back. He placed all our orders on the table.

Wow. It would be really entertaining to watch Franz eat all of that.

Everything looks so sumptuous and delicious, though. The smell of the roasted chicken is so mouthwatering.

"Which do you think is the most delicious? I'll eat it first while it's warm," Franz asked.

"Roasted chicken!" I answered quite too loudly.

Damn it.

He moved my basket of hash browns on the side. He then took his plate of 1/4 roasted chicken with mashed potatoes and gravy on the side, and placed it in front of me. He also laid the table knife, fork, spoon, and the table napkin beside the plate.

"Now eat. I ordered it for you. Glad you agree." He winked, turned to his own plate of eggs, sausages and vegetables, and started eating.

I just sat there. Shocked. I can't make myself move an inch.

He probably noticed and said, "I asked you to come with me, right? I have been eating my breakfast alone, every single day, and I hate it. Really, thank you for being here with me today. I'll take care of the bill. Just enjoy your food, okay? Their roasted chicken here is the best." He grinned at me and resumed to his eating.

I lifted the fork. Still not believing what is happening.

--

Hey, guys! Do you love this chapter as much as I do? And, yay! It's two pages. Achievement for me. Teehee. :') Vote and comment! :D

Also, don't forget to watch the trailer found at the Multimedia section of this chapter! xoxo

To SimoneLee and others who added GTBIL to their reading lists, to all readers, thank you!