Chapter 39: Home Bound

PAULENE

I'm pretty much sure I'm still sleeping.

But, I can hear voices.

Voices.

Familiar voices.

But just voices.

"I'll drive her home." 

"What about me?!"

A voice in the tone of confusion and bewilderment.

"I think it is more practical if you ride with Franz since you're practically neighbors."

"I'm riding in Ashton's car! Ash, I can be with you when you drop Paulene off."

"I think Eric's right. I'll take you home. Else, Ashton will have to go back and forth."

"I'm not getting in the same car with you!"

"And I'm not taking you. If you won't take his ride, just walk home."

Angry footsteps.

I open my eyes with much difficulty. 

My vision was frosted like the morning fog. Blink after blink, I had clarity.

I lifted my head from the smooth velvet cushion of the Victorian fainting couch.

I sat up, completely regaining consciousness.

"Good morning!" Franz greeted me cheerfully.

It feels so good to wake up to the sight of a hot guy.

"Come now! I made pancakes!" Ashton said as he pulled me up the couch and dragged me to the kitchen.

Oh my god. I must look like a hobo.

I rubbed my eyes and straightened my tangled hair. 

He pulled out a chair for me and motioned me to take the seat before giving me a smile.

Ashton, why'd you have to be so cute?

He then put a plate of pancakes in front of me. 

"Butter, syrup, table knife, and fork. Voila!"

"Th--" I stopped as soon as I realized I haven't gargled yet.

I quickly rushed to the kitchen sink. I took a glass and filled it with water.

I put a quarter of water in my mouth, swishing it around my oral cavity before spitting it out into the sink.

Ashton looked at me with amusement in his eyes. 

"Eat with me," I said to him as I took my seat again. 

"Naaahhh. We already ate. We were already up about an hour ago."

I look at the kitchen wall clock. It's past 9 in the morning.

Oh my! Krista! We have to go home by six in the morning! We're so screwed.

I panicked and quickly got up. "I have to leave now. Krista needs to be--"

"Calm down. We know. Krista needs to go to church with your Mom. She already left. I was asleep when she did, but, she left Eric this note." Ashton then reached for the back pocket of his jeans.

He then laid a folded note on the table.

I opened it, there're two 20 dollar bills inside.

I then read the note. It's definitely Krista's.

"P,

u still needed sleep so I didn't bother waking u. ill just tell mom and dad that you are still at my apartment sleeping coz u were up late watching a movie on cable tv. ill also make up this excuse that I asked u to talk to the landlady in my behalf & that she will meet u @ 8 or 9. sleep tight! xx