Chapter 89: No More Secrets

PAULENE

"Why don't you open the door 'cause I'm already outside?" I then clicked "End Call".

Krista opened the door and let me in.

"Hi Horace! and oh-- James!" 

"Hey, Pau!" Horace greeted back. James just gave me a nod because he was busy watching TV.

"Why are you guys even here?" Krista asked.

"I just missed you and I was kind of bored," I answered with all honesty.

"And I'm here to make sure these two are not left alone. You know what they say with sex out of marriage and unplanned pregnancy," James added.

Horace then took a throw pillow and hit James with it.

"And would you look at that! I'm kinda hungry. What kind of host are you, Krista?" James asked while pointing at the TV. He was watching the Food Network.

"My fridge is literally empty. I was originally planning to just eat dinner outside," Krista answered.

"This sucks. I shouldn't have tagged along."

"Yeah, you shouldn't have," Horace agreed with James.

"Baby, can you go with me to the grocery? I'll make you guys something. I'll probably cook yummy chicken drumsticks to stuff in Sir Kogan's mouth," Krista addressed Horace but was glaring at James.

"Do I really have a choice?" Horace heaved out a sigh.

Krista slapped Horace's arm.

"You want me to go with you instead?" I asked.

"Nah. It's good. What are boyfriends for?" She rolled her eyes.

She then added, "We'll be back right away."

With that, it's just me and James left in Krista's apartment.

"So, I heard you guys went on camping!" James suddenly blurted out.

"Why would you ask that out of the blue?"

"Is there anything wrong? I was just trying so hard to start a conversation here." James pretended to look hurt.

I laugh at his bad acting.

"Ahh.. whatever. It was fine," I answered.

Damn. I was trying so hard to take my mind off that camping.

"Define fine," He demanded.

"You really want to talk?" 

"Yeah, I can't find something good to watch on TV." He did look so terribly bored.

"Myakka was a great place. There were birds, gators, deer, hogs, and lots of other animals. There was also--"

"Yeah, I've been there," James cut me off.

What the fuck?

"Are you messing with me?" I asked him.

I never knew James could be quite annoying.

"Yeah, I'm like this when I'm bored."

I then just decided to ignore him.

We were silent for a while until James broke the silence.

"Actually, I also want to know if Ashton's doing okay.  I want to know if he's, you know, himself during your camp. I want to know if there was something off with him or whatsoever," He said in a serious tone.