Chapter 53: Worries

PAULENE

"This is so cool! Spider-Man Web Creator Lab! You can make sticky and stretchy spidey webs. You can even make web balls. Let's buy this for Nash," Franz suggested to me as he called the attention of the sales person assigned in the Toys Section.

"How much is it?" I asked, but, I did not need him to respond. I looked at the box and saw the price tag-- $49.99

That sure costs a lot for a toy.

With much difficulty, I swallowed the lump that formed in my throat.

"We already agreed that we will share a gift for Nash, right? That we will divide the cost?" I asked Franz, seeking confirmation.

He merely nodded, he was still checking out the toy.

$25 for each of us? That's quite too much. I do not have the luxury to spend $25 for a birthday present.

"Why don't we get him a cake instead?" I asked, hoping he would agree.

"A cake? We're talking about a five-year old boy here. When I was five, I didn't like getting cakes because it's the adults who eat and enjoy it anyway. Also, Mom did not allow me to have too much sweets. I looked forward to getting cool toys instead," He explained after giving me a look of disbelief.

It's true. A cake is more like a present to the visitors and not the celebrant. Besides, I am sure that Ashton and his dad already had the cake covered.

But, twenty five dollars?

I sighed. 

I think they won't mind an extra cake?

I tried to remember how much money I have with me right now.

I think I only have 20. Damn it, I'm even short. 

"Are you sure he will like that?"

"Of course! Who would not?" He replied as he was examining the toy. The sales guy allowed him to check out the toy.

"Look, you can't be sure. I heard from Ashton that Nash is into Ben 10, Phineas and Ferb, and the like. I doubt that he likes Spider-Man that much," I whispered to him as the guy started to demonstrate how to make the webs.

"If he likes Ben 10, he likes Spider-Man," Franz said dismissively, his attention on the toy.

"Still, you can't be so sure. But, if it is a cake, if he does not like it, at least, the guests will," I argued.

"And, I'm sorry, Franz, but, I don't find making webs that interesting," I added.

He heaved out a sigh.

"I guess you have a point," He said before asking the guy to put back the toy. 

Yes! I try to hide my feelings of triumph.

Poor sales guy, he must be really annoyed.

Hell, who can afford that web-making toy? Well, yeah, Franz can. I'm sure he can pay for the thing himself-- $50 full. But, I need us to split the cost of the gift that we would buy, if not, I'll end up buying Nash a lollipop as a gift.

ASHTON

I take off the apron after I set the table buffet style. This should do-- hotdogs, fried chicken, chicken nuggets, pesto, lasagne, plus, Dad ordered pizza and hamburgers. 

"Where's Dad?" I asked Nash who was already wearing his birthday hat.

"He said he'll buy me ice cream and cake!" Nash answered happily.

I bent my knees so I could look at him eye to eye, "Happy birthday, big guy."

He just gave me a grin.

"Now, why don't you go to Ron's already? Invite your other friends in the neighborhood. Take Ferb or Loki with you," I instructed him and he nodded before running off.

I go upstairs to my bedroom.

Horace and Krista were sleeping on my bed, hugging each other. Eric and James were on my laptop watching something which I assume to be porn.

I take a peek.

Thank God it isn't.

They were watching my downloaded episodes of How I Met Your Mother. 

"Food's ready, you motherfuckers," I announced.

James quickly spun his head around to face me.

I continued, "But, we have to wait for Dad, Nash, and his visitors."

James groaned.

Krista sat up on the bed, she rubbed her eyes and stretched a bit before asking, "Is Paulene here yet?"

"Oh yeah, I was so occupied with cooking and preparing that I forgot to follow up. Wait, I'll give her a call."

I dial her number.

Pick up, Pau.

Damn it. She's with Franz.

Well, it's safest for her to be with him. I don't want her lost. 

Pick up, pick up. 

After a few rings, "Hello? Pau? Where are you guys?"

"Uhh, Franz, where are we?" I can hear her say. I could also hear Franz's voice singing along to a familiar song in the background before turning down the volume and answering Paulene.

Paulene then said to me, "We're near. 10 mins."

"Okay. Good. Krista's here, by the way."

"I know. See you," She replied.

 "Bye."

Paulene and Franz seem to enjoy each other's company.

I'm worried.

I should've picked her up or something.

I should've not invited Franz.

But, what will she think if I did not?

This had to be done.

I take a deep breath as I endure the longest ten minutes of my life.

"Ding!" I hear the door bell.

I look at my watch, not even a minute passed by yet. I wonder who it is.

--

Thanks everyone for the read! Find out who rang that door bell! :D Show some love and support! ;)

This chapter is dedicated to owlbubble for reading the story up to my previous update, commenting, voting, and adding the GTBIL to her reading list! Thank you so much! I am glad that you are enjoying the story so far! ;)