Chapter 29: Out of Desperation

PAULENE

I checked my phone again.

Still nothing.

I guess I'll just see him in class later. Hopefully, he won't be absent again.

I traced the cracks on my phone. Such a shame.

I slipped my phone back inside my bag.

I quickly put a hand over my mouth and yawned.

Don't get me wrong. Professor Stacy is a really fun teacher. It's just that, the discussion on the Scientific Method bores me to death. I've had this lesson for the nth time already.

Yeah, yeah. I get it. Psychology is a science.

Can we skip the intro and get to the paranormal stuff if there's any?

I shifted my gaze from the professor's lips to Tiffany's long, beautiful, wavy golden hair. Even the back side of her head is beautiful. Everything about her is beautiful.

She's like the Barbie doll I've always wanted to become since I was three.

I snapped out of my unblinking admiration and took out my phone again.

An SMS...

...from Ashton.

"wanna come with us? practice @smashbin. lunch on martin!!! :D "

I quickly replied, "sure! still in class. end @12."

A few taps of my pen on the table and I get his reply, "cool. me 2. what classroom? ending early here. ill get u."

I typed my room number in reply and slipped my phone back inside my bag again.

I can't stop smiling. 

Ashton must really like me.

There you go again, Paulene.

What?! I'm smiling because of the free lunch.

I chuckled to myself.

ASHTON

I waited for Paulene just outside her classroom.

Finally.

A group of students stepped out.

Oh shit.

Tiffany?!

I turned to the water fountain, my back on them. I stepped on the pedal and just forced myself to drink water. I've probably drank a pitcher before turning around again.

Paulene.

She was grinning.

She walked towards me.

I look from side to side to see if everyone else left. If there's no more sight of Tiffany.

I then felt something touch my chin.

I see Paulene, her beautiful face, just a few inches from mine.

What is she...

"You must be really thirsty, huh?" She let out a laugh.

She then took a few steps back, away from me, pulling away the handkerchief she held on to my chin to wipe the dripping water.

My heart.

Why does it beat louder than James' drums?

I turned to the water fountain again and drank some more.

PAULENE

Here we are at Smashbin. It's still closed. The tables are covered with cloth. The chairs are turned upside down. 

It's just me, Ashton and his band, Martin the owner, and a scrawny looking guy.

Martin set up the nearest table from the stage. He asked me to take a seat.

We watched the band set up their instruments on the stage while Martin and I are eating the tacos he made. 

These tacos are better than Taco Bell's and I tell Martin that. The good old man blushed. 

Ashton smiled at me and I smiled back. I then clapped my hands. Martin followed the gesture and added some whistles. 

The guys on the stage were laughing.

It's so pleasing to look at four, good looking and talented guys come together to perform as one. They could pass as the more mature version of One Direction.

I yelled out to them, "You guys should join X Factor!"

James gave me a thumbs up sign and the rest of the guys chuckled.

"And you should join Miss Universe," Ashton said through the microphone.

The rest of the guys were howling and Martin won't quit whistling. 

Damn it, Ashton.

My cheeks are burning hot. I looked down and gobbled some more tacos as Ashton started singing, 

"You've read the books, you've watched the shows, what's the best way no one knows, yeah.. ♫ "

"Meditate, get hypnotized, anything to take from your mind ♪♫ "

"But it won't... go. ♫♪ " 

"You're doing all these things out of desperation. ♪ "

"Woah..  ♫ "

"You're going through six degrees of separation. ♪♫ "

James then started hitting the drums. My heart then started thumping along with the beat.

I felt a pang in my heart.

This song makes me think of Josh.

"Are you alright?" Martin asks.

I smile and nod.

"Fake a smile, yeah.. ♪ "

"Lie and say, you're better now than ever and your life's okay, when it's not. No.. ♫♪ "

Damn it.

This song.

"You're doing all these things out of desperation. ♪♫ "

My heart feels heavy.

I excused myself and rushed towards the restroom.

I slammed the door behind me. I turned the faucet on and splashed water on my face. Along with the water running down my face are the tears I cry for the heartache Josh still gives me.

I'm not over him.

This is killing me.

I took some tissue and wiped my face.

I let out a deep breath and stepped out of the restroom.

I try hard to shut my ears.

I have to get back to school.

--

Want to experience this chapter live?

DO THIS: Go back to page 1. Load the video of the song, play the video on the part when Ashton started singing. The moment you play the song, you will hear the lyrics as written. Continue reading up to page 2 of this chapter with the song still on play.

If you got to read everything and it was in sync, good job! Hahaha! The drums part, then just read on, then you'll hear the lyrics again as you read.

Enjoy! :)

I hope you love this chapter! Will update later!

This chapter is dedicated to TerriDasilva! Glad you enjoyed this chapter!