Chapter 46: Get Your Sh*t Straight

PAULENE

I'm getting worried.

Is Ashton ignoring me?

It's been a week and I still haven't seen him.

He never came to our usual lunches. He doesn't reply to my texts and Facebook messages.

I'm sure he is fine because just last night, Krista was at Smashbin and he was there doing the things he usually does. When I asked Krista about him, she just said that "Ashton's, you know, Ashton".

I wasn't able to go to his gig again because I am busy preparing for my exams.

I just hope Ashton's not avoiding me.

I don't remember getting in a fight with him.

Well, we just had that awkward lunch at La Sandwicherie last time, but, I don't think it's something of a big deal. He can't simply hate me for not going to his gigs, right?

I wonder what's wrong.

Hmm.

Was it because he saw me cough out that piece of sandwich?

That was, indeed, disgusting. But, I never knew he would ignore me just because of that. Besides, it's his fault. He was being so cheesy.

I heave out a sigh.

Maybe he is just busy preparing for the exams too. Come to think of it, the band plus academics.

It must be really difficult.

Look at me, I'm not in a band, yet, I'm already having a hard time.

Every after class, I would meet up with Franz so we can study until 8 in the evening at his house-- more appropriately, his mansion.

His mom would cook us dinner. They have a chef at home, but, Lucy insists that she is a better cook and that nothing excites her more than cooking for a visitor.

I wonder what business does Franz's family have. When I asked him what his father does, he simply said, "Just a businessman and that's all you need to know".

I hope that business does not involve drugs or gangs. Franz's family seems so nice, anyway.

I wonder what Mr. Richmond is like.

I think he is a really good man too for choosing to marry Lucy and having such a brilliant kid for a son.

Franz is really lucky to have Lucy.

I wish Mom would be more like her.

I can't even tell Mom the truth. I just told my parents that I'm at a girl classmate's house doing group work.

My mother would never allow me to go to a guy's house to study. Also, she would freak if she found out that someone's tutoring me.

She will never understand me having a hard time in college because she excelled in her academics and graduated with Latin honors.

She said she achieved that through her own hard work. She expects me to do the same.

Tonight, however, I'm making my momma proud because I'm gonna study alone.

I tied my hair into a bun, took out the reviewers Franz made for me, and sat on my bed.

I flexed my limbs.

Okay, let's do this!

ASHTON

I pick up the phone and dialed James' home phone number.

"Uhh. Hello, Mrs. Kogan. It's Ashton. Is James there?"

"Hi, Ashton. Wait." I then hear James' mother call out to him. I can also hear their loud TV.

"What's up? Phone sex?" James asked.

I let out moans and James laughed his ass off.

"So, why'd you call?" He asked while still laughing.

"I was wondering if it's alright to borrow 500 USD from our savings account."

James fell silent.

He then finally said something. "Dude, first of all, it's not just me you should ask--"

"I know. I'm asking you first," I cut him off.

"What's the 500 for?" He asked.

I cleared my throat.

Should I let him know? Or should I make up something?

But, James is James. He is someone that could actually keep a secret.

"I lost a bet," I said in a low voice.

"A bet?! What bet is this? You know that every dollar is important for the band, man. Yeah sure, it's under your name, but, it's our money-- our money. We all put something in there."

"Dude, I know."

"Explain this bet." For the first time, James' voice didn't sound so lazy.

I guess it's no harm to let another soul know.

"Me and Franz made a bet. Whoever makes Paulene fall in love first, wins." I guess I should just skip the Tiffany part. He does not need to know about that.

After a moment of silence, James finally spoke, "Both of you are assholes. Paulene is a really sweet girl."

I swallowed the lump forming in my throat.

"Did Franz win already? I don't think they're together," James continued.

"Paulene didn't go to Smashbin last week when we had that back to back gig with The All American Rejects because she was at Franz's house. Franz then posted a TwitPic of Paulene in his room. In. His. Room," I explained to him.

"Oooohhh. Interesting. I really thought Pau's a virgin, though. She doesn't look like someone looking for a good time," He whispered.

"I know," I simply replied.

I felt something invisible stabbing my heart whenever the thought of Paulene and Franz doing it comes to mind.

"Anyway, getting laid doesn't translate to being in love. I mean, no offense, but, look at you and Tiffany. Okay, Tiff's clearly in love with you, but, are you?"

What James said is true.

It makes sense. It could also even be just a one time thing for Paulene and Franz. Or they could just be mere friends with benefits.

I never thought of that.

"Have you even talked to Franz? You must see them actually together and in a relationship. You need hard proof. Is Paulene being openly sweet to Franz? Did she profess her love to him? If so, Franz must show you evidence. It's a bet after all. You should hear Paulene say the three goddamn words to him first. No way you're getting 500 dollars from our bank account just like that. Get your shit straight, man."

I listened to James, letting his words sink in.

Of all people-- James.

"You're right. Look, dude, no one else can know."

"I get it. But, I want you to know that I totally disapprove of this bet. Good luck to you. I'll just pretend we never had this conversation. It's a messy situation you got yourself into, Ashton. I don't want to get involved." With that, James hung up.

Come to think of it, I don't even have to pay Franz if I lose the bet. I just have to push Tiffany away and that seems to be a win-win for me. Fuck this alcohol messing with my brain. I just told James for nothing. Well, it's not really nothing as his words still resounded in my head.

--

This chapter is dedicated to vvmello! Thank you so much for the love and support! :)

I hope you all enjoyed this chapter! What's going to happen next? (: