Chapter Fifty-Eight: Tricks or Treats

Thursday, October 31, 2013:

Hayleigh:

"And all the books you've read have been read by other people. And all the songs you've loved have been heard by other people. And that girl that's pretty to you is pretty to other people. And you know that if you looked at these facts when you were happy, you would feel great because you are describing "unity," I read silently from the beautiful novel by Stephen Chbosky, completely absorbed in Charlie's life. Curled up in my bed with only my lamp on, provided the comfort and peace I desired. I almost drop the book when the shriek of my phone blasts, making me groan and gently dog ear the page and set it on the night stand. Not looking at the caller ID, I hit answer on my phone and hold it to my ear.

"Hello?"

"Hey," the voice breathes out causing goose bumps to rise on my forearms from recognition. "I've been trying to get ahold of you since yesterday."

"And I've been ignoring you since yesterday," I smartly reply, slipping out of bed and walking to my window to gaze at the city lights. "It's one in the morning, Niall. What do you want?"

"It's not one, it's six in the morning. I figured you just woke up," he tells me, confused, before it clicks. "Oh my god, you're in New York!?"

"Wow, you're fast," I comment with a roll of my eyes. "I decided to make my trip longer so I could take Kendall and Michael trick or treating tomorrow- well I guess today actually."

"You could've told me," Niall responds after a second. "I've been trying to get in your house all day but Presley wouldn't let me in."

"You have a key," I state, my eyes flickering to a car driving past.

"Presley would've beaten me up," is his reply. "Listen, Hayleigh. I am so sorry for missing our movie night-"

"I don't want to hear it," I interrupt, my mom's advice slipping my mind. "You could've told me you didn't want to come."

"Of course I wanted to come!" Niall protests. "I didn't plan on talking to Zoe, Hay. It just happened."

"Niall, I get it," I start, sitting on the edge of my bed. "You're in a relationship and you want to hang out with her. I wish I could hang out with Evan more than I do, but you told me you would there. You promised, Ni." My voice cracks slightly as my breathing becomes uneven.  "I left work early and ended up falling asleep on the couch waiting for you because you didn't even send me a text to reschedule," I say sharply.

"Do you know how much I want to punch myself in the face right now?" he asks me seriously. "Hayleigh, I am  so sorry, okay? I am sorry for being the worst best friend ever because I bailed on you again. I will make it up to you-"

"You want to make it up to me?" I intrude again. "Stop calling me," I answer strongly. "I am not going to deal with you and your drama while I'm up here visiting my family and boyfriend, alright? You will not ruin this."

"Hayleigh," he tries to say something but I cut him off.

"Don't even start," I warn, my voice stone cold. "Now if you excuse me, I am trying to get to sleep."

"Wait!" I hit End Call before throwing my phone at the ground angrily. I run my hands over my face as I let out a sigh of frustration; it was not  supposed to go down like that.

+++++++

"Wake up Hayleigh!" Michael yells loudly, bouncing up and down on my bed. I sit up slowly with a small smile before pulling him down into a hug.