Chapter Thirty-Seven: Weird Voices

Sunday, September 23, 2012:
Hayleigh:
"I now pronounce you husband and wife," the preacher states with a wide smile and my eyes look up to see the handsome Zac Efron, who looked hotter than heck in a tux. I lean forward with my eyes closed....
My eyes fly open as a little squeal escapes my lips from falling face first into my pillow. I growl into it, who ruined my dream?
I slowly get out of bed, quickly slipping Niall's hoodie over my bed head. I catch sight of the clock, making me even more annoyed but confused. 2:36? Who is here at 2 in the morning?
I dash to Presley's room to see her yawning in her bed. "Who's here?" She whispers groggily, rubbing her eyes.
"I don't know," I say, grabbing her old softball bat by the door. "But I'm not taking any chances!"
Both of us silently tiptoe down the stairs, me in front because I have the weapon. I mouth one through three before Pres flings open the door. I shout and raise the bat, but it falls limp in my arms when I see who it is. "Dani?"
This girl standing on our doorstep I barely recognized. Her curly brown hair was piled into a messy bun at the top of her head, while she wore casual sweats. Her tanned face was wet with tears, and her usually common smile was nowhere to be seen. Her sobs ring out, making Presley and I immediately pull her into a hug.
"What's wrong?" I ask softly, wrapping an arm around her shoulders to make her join us in the living room while Presley closes the door and keeps the bat in her hand.
"We're done," Danielle's words are mushed together but I made out the most important.
"What?" Presley slightly gasps and my eyes widen.
I grab her shoulders, "Tell us everything."
***
"That's the story I guess," Dani sniffles and brushes her nose over her sleeve.
"I'm so sorry," I apologize with a slight frown and she shakes her head.
"Don't apologize, Hayleigh. I'm just mad at myself that I didn't see it coming."
"What do you mean?" Presley asks softly.
Wiping her eyes again, she blinks before speaking. "I knew we weren't as close as we have been," Danielle starts. "We both started arguing more than usual before we both agreed to take a breath before we go insane."
"A break doesn't mean it's done forever," I inform her and she sighs.
"I really love him but I'm getting really stressed. Maybe this will work for us, especially since I have to leave soon."
Presley rubs her shoulder for comfort, "It'll be okay, Dani. Now let us get you some ice cream."
••
Thursday, September 27, 2015:
"This has got to be our best idea ever," I grin at my best friend.
Niall shushes me and points out the window. "Here comes two boys." I immediately hush and slowly look out the window to see two preteen lads coming with their skateboards in hand.
I giggle as Niall brings the walkie talkie to his mouth and uses a deep American accent.
"PACMAN IS A CANNIBAL!!" He screams, making me burst into laughter as the boys whip their heads, trying to figure out where the voice was coming from. It's not like they're going to find the walkie talkie taped under the mailbox, they're just going to run.
"I'm coming for you," Niall switches his voice so it sounds like a high pitched creepy woman. He's amazing at accents.
In three, two...they both take off down the street and Niall finally starts laughing, clutching his stomach.
By the time we both calm down, it's been about five minutes and I spot another loner walking down the street. I take the device from Ni just as Presley comes up from behind us. "What're you guys doing?"
"Scaring the neighbors," Niall says simply, not looking at her but keeping his eyes trained on the grown man walking his dog. Presley just shakes her head with a smile before going away, almost like this wasn't weird for Niall and I. Which it wasn't because lately we've become more insane, but I can't really tell if that's good or bad yet. So far it's been great, especially since we just had a whole chocolate bar.
Niall gives me a countdown before I shout with my thumb on the button, "Once I saw a pink cow and named him Phillip!!" The stranger jumps, not expecting anyone to be there. Niall starts giggling again beside me and I have to bite my lip to stay calm. I clear my throat before making my voice sound like Golum, "My precious. Hehehe."
Niall splits one's sides by rolling on the floor and I chortle along with him. The guy randomly whacks our bush, checking for a microphone but then suddenly picks up his dog and races away.
"T-that was t-the funniest," I manage to blurt out, leaning against Niall for support.
"You know it," he wipes the tears from his eyes with a wide grin.
"Guys," Eleanor drags it out and I picture her eyebrow quirk up from the living room. "Why did I just see a grown man hit your bush?"
That sends us into hysterics again before he helps me stand, since I'm weak at the knees. "Is he gone?" I ask and Niall snickers as we walk into the living room.
El nods, looking out the window. "Yea, you better go get the walkie talkie before someone else comes."
"Awe why?" Ni pouts and I place my hand over my mouth to stop from laughing again.
"People might call the cops," she giggles.
"Fine," I drag it out dramatically before pulling Niall's arm. "Nialler will go take it off."
His blue eyes widen, "Why do I have to do it?"
"Because, I don't want to and I taped it up."
He scoffs, "I don't think so Hay-Bale. If I'm doing it, you're coming with me lazy-butt."
"I prefer the term physically conservative," I smirk and he lets out his contagious chuckle.
"If I have to drag you I will," he threatens but I know he wouldn't. I ignore him until I feel him grab my ankles that were dangling off the couch.
I look at him, "Hey!"
Niall just shrugs until I simply kick him lightly and scramble away. "You're not getting off that easy!" He races after me causing me to squeal and run around the house, gaining attention from everyone else. I look over my shoulder to see him gaining and I push myself to run faster.
A split second decision is made in my brain when I run outside, him chasing closely behind.
Eleanor:
Louis, Presley and I watch as Hayleigh makes it halfway in the yard before Niall wraps his arms her from behind, stopping her abruptly. Their laughter is inevitable as he spins her around many times, acting adorable and playing around.
"They are so cute," I murmur and Lou kisses the side of my head.
"Why can't they just get together?" Presley groans. "They obviously love each other."
"I don't think it's that easy, girls," Louis speaks up. "They care about their friendship a lot and I don't think they'd risk it for a relationship that may or may not work."
"I wish they would at least realize how they feel," I admit.
"And how do they feel?"
"Look at them," I point, and our eyes look at the best friends running around the yard, just being themselves and having fun. "They obviously have feelings for each other but just don't know it yet."
"Should we interfere?" Presley smirks and raises an eyebrow.
I think for a second before shaking my said, "Nope. Not yet."
"Don't get your hopes up, love," my boyfriend warns me with concern in his eyes. "It might be a few years before they even realize they have hidden feelings."
I sigh, "Okay, Lou."
"Niall and I have to go," Louis speaks after a few seconds, checking his phone. "We're dragging Liam with the other two for a night out. He's heartbroken but he's putting on a strong face for all of us, so we're gonna try and get him to relax."
Presley nods, tearing her eyes from the best friends who are pushing each other teasingly as they make their way up the sidewalk. "That's a good idea."
"We're hanging out with Dani tonight as well," I say and he kisses my lips quickly.
"That works out then," he grins. "I'll see you later, El." Presley and I follow him to the door where he walks out, straight to Niall. The blonde boy didn't see it coming when Lou yanks on his shirt, pulling him away from Hayleigh.
Niall yelps before tearing away and giving Hay a quick hug.
Louis rolls his eyes, "Come on, loser. We're gonna be late."
He forcefully pushes his mate to Niall's new car. Niall yells over his shoulder, "I'll call you later, Haybear! Love you!"
Presley and I stand on either side of her as she laughs, "I love you too!" A smirk makes its way on our lips and the two members of One Direction drive away. Her constant contagious smile stays on her face, before she tilts her head to the side when she notices us staring at her. "What?"
Presley shakes her head with a chuckle while I pat her shoulder. "Nothing you need to worry about, Hayleigh."
The three of us turn around to walk inside but Hayleigh keeps pestering. "No seriously, what?"
I just laugh and pull out my phone to call Danielle to enjoy a carefree movie night.
A/N: Hey guys and Happy Fall!
This is probably one of my favorite seasons because of the big sweaters and cozy boots with snow and rain and movie nights. *sigh* not to mention the beautiful colors of the leaves.
I hope you guys are enjoying this book, I've had so much fun writing this so far and I can't wait to write more!
Remember, Never let doubters keep you from doing what you love. Prove them wrong!
Love you all! <3