Chapter 4: Lady Friend

I hadn’t even remembered falling asleep.

All I knew was what I was sleeping on was the most comfortable mattress I had ever laid on. I felt aches all over my body and found myself rolling over a few times to get in a more comfortable position.

I tried to swallow.

It felt like swallowing sandpaper. As I stared off into the dark room with no memory of how I had gotten there, or most importantly, where I was.

The memories hit me like a head-on car crash.

The kidnap, the green and blue-eyed men, being sold off like a toy to another strange, being tortured, starved, exhausted…drugged. I images of being slapped and thrown against a wall by the man I was sold to and then being saved by the mysterious green-eyed man, who I originally thought was going to kill me.  I sat up and realized I was wrapped in about seven blankets—allowing my skin to burn even faster at my most recent memory.

Dimitri.

Dimitri had sold me off and allowed me to go through all of the hardships in that…monsters basement, and yet he saved me? Was he really a god guy? Could I trust him? Would he let me free? What did he want me for?  Where did the other man with the blue eyes go? Did he have Cassie?

Was she going through the worst?

I clutched my stomach as it suddenly growled like a Mother lion’s roar, as it defends its cubs from a territorial hyena. I fought back tears. I didn’t want to eat. I wanted to be home. I wanted to be safe.

Could you really call that house where you lived a home? My inner voice spoke to me. You know nothing, and nobody are there for you once you return. Nothing ever was.

I carefully swung my legs over the shadowed bed and took a shaky breath. I blindly began to stumble around the room, brushing against the walls of the room for some sort of door. My fingers hit a cold handle and my heart “Yippied!” with joy.

I turned the knob and slowly walked out into a dark hallway with only the moon lighting my way. My eyes grazed over the lurking shadows of the long, empty hallway. Yeah…nobody should pop out of nowhere here.

I fought against every instinct in my body as I did what I did next,

I stepped into the hallway.

The floors beneath my feet were wooden, matching the floors I had crossed once I was out of Dmitri’s basement.

I assumed I was in his house then.

I just didn’t know where he was.

My steps were careful as I crossed the floors and my fingers brushed against the walls as I neared the darkest end of the hallway, the part where the huge window at the front of the hallway could not reach. My toes grazed the edge of the shadowed hallway when I heard the sound of a light flickering on.

I whipped my head around to see a light had been turned on at the edge of the hallway.

I ran. I sprinted into the darkness with squinted eyes. When I felt a wall in front of me I turned to the left and continued down what seemed to be another hallway. This went on for what seemed like hours—searching for a way out of the hallways and long aisles of doors.

Then I spotted the railing.

It was a shiny gold and I instantly recognized it as the stairs I had been carried down the last time I was there. I knew where to go now. I knew the stairs would need to the front door. As I walked towards it I turned in the direction where the bathroom I had bathed in was.