Chapter 49: The Masked Man

<--------------Vote! Comment! vvv ----make sure you read the last chapter front to back! :))

~The sweetest words have the bitterest taste. ~My Heart swells like water at my weight, can't stop myself before it's too late.

After stretching and procrastinating for way to long, I finally made my way ouside.

The freezing cold air hit my face. I really wish I had those gloves, or some ear muffs. Pulling the hood over my head I tightened it securely and walked across the dark street. Only a few steps and body started to violently shiver.

This is so dumb, why do I listen to him?

My sneakers met the slightly snow covered grass, and I stopped on the path through the park, and took a deep breath. Only a few laps Cassie, it’s not going to kill you. I started at a slow pace, looking around me at the dimmed pathway. The sound of low voices passed by, and birds moving in the trees. I focused on all the noises, and then my ears picked up a faint sound of feet touching the pavement. They echoed my feet dropping on the ground, and I shook it off. My pace quickened, as my heartbeat started to pound.

Knock it off, there’s nobody behind you.

After passing the same bench I left off twice, my throat began to burn from the coldness. Every breath I take hurts more and more.  My nose feels frozen, as well as my hands and my eyelashes. The echoing footsteps of my feet changed into a separate pair of feet. This pair of feet is going faster than me, and behind me.

Someone is definitely following me.

Keeping myself calm, I picked up my pace and moved more to the right. They can pass me if they want. The echoing of the footsteps continued, until I felt them right behind me. My head whirled around, and I saw the masked man from before right behind me.

Damnit!

I picked up my pace again, this time my heart in my ears. The guy also picked up his to the point that I felt his body heat. Something screamed in my mind to fun faster, and I pushed with all my might. My vision started to blur, and my running turned into the longest strides I’ve ever ran. I smiled to myself, as I realized I must have lost the guy.

Then I noticed him easily pass me, and gave me a hard shove me off the path. I hit the ground hands first, and let out a cry of pain. “You bastard!” I screamed after them, as they started a slow jog.  They turned around, still moving backwards and lifted their hood up over their head. I took that as a mocking gesture, and I got back up clutching my wrist.

I’ll kill them.

The runner turned, and started to jog in the other direction at a leisurely pace. I followed them at the same pace, even though my body is screaming for water, and dripping with cold sweat. My gaze locked on their shadowed body, and I pushed myself to reach them. They stayed at a mocking pace, daring for me to follow them.

The sped up to speed up, to the point that they blended into the shadows of the night. I found myself stopping on the path, and putting my hands on my knees. My heavy breathing made noticeable puffs in the air, and I clutched my injured wrist in anger.

I can’t run anymore.

I started to walk quickly back to the Motel, wondering what the hell just happened.

************************************************************

How am I going to take a shower? Brown stuff will probably come out! I sauntered into the semi-spotless bathroom, and moved the rusty handles of the shower. The pipes made noises, and screams in protest and then…water. Crystal clean water!

“Yay!” I screamed, almost falling over from being so tired. “Ok, no more of that.”

I stepped into the semi-hot shower, taking all of the large bottles of shampoo and conditioner that were on the counter. Notice I say ‘semi’ for most of the stuff in this motel. It’s because everything here is broken, dirty, or just plain disgusting. I started to sing to myself, trying to get my mind off of ‘you know who’, when I noticed the smell of the shampoo and conditioner.

Coconut.

I pushed the green curtain away and peeked into the bathroom. He wouldn’t dare come in here… right?

“Hmph!” I closed the curtains and continued to wash myself, when I noticed the song I’m singing started to become a duet. I stopped again, and turned around in the shower. Ok at least he’s not inside with me that’s a plus. “Who’s there?” I asked the room.  Next I moved the curtains, to see an empty bathroom My gaze locked on the door to the bedroom, and I quickly rinsed all the stuff out of my hair.

That’s right about when I realized my stupidity. Someone took the towels from the bathroom. I smiled to myself, and stepped out of the shower. Reaching under the sink I took out the towel I hid, just in case. “Take that!”

I un- folded it, and the biggest rat I’ve ever seen jumped out of it. I screamed at the top of my lungs, took the same towel the rat was in and ran into the bedroom. My face found its way to the ugly green comforters, and of course I inhaled. Ignoring my gags I kneeled on the bed, and searched for my bag of clothes.

Oh no. He didn’t.

I searched around the room for my bag of clothes, with no luck. My hands roamed into the suitcase, to only find a sports bra, the ugly brown t-shirt, a white shirt, those holey jeans, my sneakers I had when he left, and yoga pants.

You have to be kidding me! He took all of those clothes I bought?

After changing into the yoga pants, sports bra and t-shirt, I threw the towel across the room. My gaze found the door, which I can now see is unlocked. There’s someone in my room. I ran over to the door then bolted and locked it. “Come on out bitch, fight like a man!” I yelled to the room, and crept to the closet. My hand found the doorknob, and I pulled it open quickly. “Ah ha I got ya—“

This can’t be good.

 I bent down to pick up the blanket that has an object under it, when my backside got a massive kick and I fell into the small closet. The door slammed behind me. “Are you serious?” I exclaimed, trying to keep the towel together. I got up and pushed on the closet door, but it wouldn’t open. Not good! I’m claustrophobic! Maybe it’s just Dimitri playing a joke on me and trying to get me out of this towel. Why am I even thinking those thoughts?

The door handle suddenly let go, and the door opened making me fall forward onto the bedroom floor. The room is completely dark now. My gaze lifted to the darkness, and I frantically looked around the room. This is like a horror movie! My body crawled across the floor until I myself touching the bed. Mmm I love the smell of this carpet…so fragrantly delicious. I’m completely joking by the way, it smells like diaper.  

I held onto the bed cover, and closed my eyes. I know who’s here now.

Plus I know he can see me; I just can’t see him. “Valentine jus leave me alo—“ The motel door slammed shut, and my whole body shook from the impact. I stared where I figure the door is, and walked to it blindly. My hands move against the wall until I felt a light switch. The room left its darkness, and leaned against the door. The closet! Running to the small door, I pulled it open and tugged the blanket off of object. I let out a shaky breath, trying to hold back the tears in my eyes. I picked it up, and held the small object in the palm of my hand

A little rubber duck.