Chapter 2: The Mind Reader

As if my heart could take a more rapid pace, the man hadn’t turned around right away.

He took his phone out again to dial another number. “It’s me,” he started, running a hand through his hair. “It’s called ‘Caller ID moron, you should have checked it before you picked up the phone." The man took his aviators off and turned to me.

It took every piece of energy in my body not to let my jaw drop to the expensive wood floors.

We locked gazes. “Stop staring at me I know I’m gorgeous.” He dropped his gaze in thought. “What? No, not you moron!” He screamed into the phone, his face morphing into something terrifying. “Put the manager on, you guys don’t know shit about my order and you always get it wrong.”

Now, in that time of my life there were two scenarios that I wouldn’t be able to handle, and would probably embarrass myself in. The first one is whistling. The more I tried to whistle, the more I looked like a puffer fish suffocating on water. The second happened to be the hands down, most gorgeous man I had ever seen giving me the most loathing, vicious look.

His eyes were the first feature that stood out to me. They were the most exotic green, which almost seemed to light up, that perfectly accented his defined nose and chiseled, stubbled jaw.

He took a step towards me, his left hand in his pocket. My body screamed for me to run away, but I found myself frozen where I was standing. “I want five pizzas, extra cheese extra pepperoni extra sausage, and if your damn finger is on my door bell in—“he checked his Rolex. “Thirty minutes, I’ll come over there myself again and make the pizza,” he switched the phone to the other ear, leaving me breathing room when he turned around. “I am well aware it takes forty five minutes to get here. You better get a heads start.”

He clicked the phone shut, his jaw clenched. “I hate people,”  the man growled at the device.

“The feeling is probably mutual,” I muttered, covering my mouth with my hand.

His head whipped round at an unnatural speed, making me scream in panic. His laugh was loud making me jump like a Cat. “I almost forgot about you.” He took a stride towards me, cornering me in the room. My back pressed against the cold wall as he became inches away from me, looming his head over my small frame.

I stared into his green eyes feeling like a mouse caught in a trap. “State your name and number, human.”

My mind couldn’t process what he was saying; as I watched his lips move. “I—I don’t have one,” I stuttered.

I watched as his face went stone cold, his jaw set. “You don’t have one?” he repeated, emphasizing every word.

“I—I—“

“Speak up already.”

“I’m Anna. Can you tell me--”

“Anna,” he interrupted, pronouncing my name completely wrong.

“No….Anna,” I repeated, my mind in disbelief. Did he really not know how to pronounce that name?

The next time he said it, it was almost as if he wanted to put a heavy accent on it just to annoy me. “Anna,” he dragged out, pronouncing it ‘Ah-nah.’

“No, it’s Anna,” I repeated, when he kept saying the name over and over again.

“Annabel.”

I started to feel more uncomfortable around them by the second. “No, please just say Anna.”

“Annie.”