Chapter 30: Bruised Ego

I covered my mouth, too much in shock to scream.

He stepped away from the dark bedroom, and I recognize him as the grey-eyed guard from the market. He also is the one who handed me the gun. His facial features are wide, he has a black goatee, and black hair is combed back on his head. His hands are in leather gloves; the kind that Valentine wears.

“What the hell are you doing here?” I questioned him quickly, taking a step back. My heart began to thud in my chest.

“I’m just checking on Prince Charming, since he got hit pretty hard and all,” he took a step closer to me, and chuckled as I backed away, “I’m not going to lie, he has a nice taste in gloves,” he waved his hands to show them off, “a shame really we had to break him so hard, I always liked the kid. But you know how it is. Do as the King says, or get be-headed.”

“Why did you hurt him?” I asked quietly.

He smiled, and bent over to take the knife out of Alex’s back. He straightened, and put the blade to his mouth, licking it clean. I shivered, and he brought his gaze up to me, “That’s a simple answer Miss Heart. He left the Kingdom like he said he would, but then he came back. All is well now, because he has been punished. I assure you he won’t leave us again.”

I opened my mouth to speak, but he suddenly hissed, and raised his head to the ceiling. “Got to go, give the prince my best.”

He disappeared, and I instantly hurried to Alex. “Alex?” I shook him, “Alex!” I smacked his back, and his hands clenched.

He lifted his head up, “Where am I?” Blinking rapidly he sat up, “What happened?”

“I don’t know, but I think you need some medical help…you got stabbed in the back by one of the Kings guards. He said he was checking on Valenti--“

“—shit!” In a blink of an eye, he got up and ran into Valentines room. I got up, and quickly followed, stumbling in my boots.

As I walked in, I heard Alex sigh in relief. The lights are dimmed, and Valentine is rolled over on his side, facing away from us. He has no shirt on, and the gauze pads on his back seem to glow in the dark. Alex is standing in the middle of the room, with his hands on his hips. He turned around; put a finger to his mouth.

“Sir, are you awake?” Alex asked quietly. It barely registered to my ears it was so quiet.

I moved closer to the bed, my hands clasped together in front of me. My heartbeat slowly sped up, as I saw Valentines head move on the pillow. He gingerly rolled over onto his back, and hissed through his teeth in pain. “Yes. Let me talk to the human for a moment,” he bit out, “go wait outside.”

The Human?

"But--"

Valentine growled deeply, making me shiver.

Alex bowed his head quickly, “Yes your Highness, as you wish.” He nodded his head to me his lips tight, and left the room.

As soon as Alex left, I felt a chill inch up my spine. I lifted my head, to see Valentine completely sitting up, and staring at me. I locked gazes with him, sly smile spread across his damaged face. At least his smile is the same. 

“Walk to me Cassie,” he demanded.

***********************************************************************************************************

“Closer,” he said alluringly, anticipation in his eyes.

I gulped, and continued trying to resist his gaze. But he is refusing to look away from me. He is the palest he has ever been, and his facial features are standing out way too much. I can see the hollowness of his eye sockets, and the definition of his jaw. His eyelids are still swollen and purple, and his nose still looks broken. His muscles on his arms and legs are thinner, and the bandages on his chest look bloody. The hair on his head is still reaching his chin, and slightly curly. I tried not to stare, but he now seems too distracted by my fuzzy boots to care.