Chapter 60: Across The Room

It was bound to be an awkward night.

“You are attending the dinner?” Alfred repeated. I was unable to answer him at first at the thought of Valentine being there.

“Yes,” I replied robotically, instantly ashamed of myself.

He’s already hurt; I’m the last person he wants to see tonight. I smiled at Alfred, and closed my door gently. I leaned against it, banging my head back against the hard surface.

“I’m an idiot,” I mumbled, walking to my dresser.

I pulled open the top drawer, making sure to slip on my undergarments. Knowing Valentine always made me dress up, I picked out my outfit carefully. I decided to stick with a black turtle neck, and light jeans.

Oh, and just for the record. I didn’t choose the black turtle neck because I expected someone to freak out and rip my neck open out of anger, just saying. I brushed out my curly hair, to make it a fluffy mess. It must have been an instinct of mine, since I was so use to straightning my hair every day. But no, these billionaire vampires who wear dresses out of gold can’t spend the time or money to buy me a straighter.

I pulled at my frizzy hair, knowing diner is going to start really soon.“Oh Jesus,” I mumbled. “Why the hell did I do that?”

“Miss Heart? I expected you to be done by now,” Alfred’s voice stated from the hallway. He sounded a bit tired of hair problems.

“One sec!” I replied, rapidly flattening down my hair with my hands.

Crap, crap crap! I’m going to look like I have an afro!

I ran into the bathroom, flipped my hair over, and put my head in the sink. I wet my whole head, wrung it out, then sprayed some curling spray in it. I scrunched it until I couldn’t scrunch no more while fixing my turtle neck with one hand.

My hands felt around my sock drawer, until I grabbed a pair of fuzzy socks. I slipped them on while hopping to my bedroom door. Alfred was already gone, so I hurried down the hallway and descended the stairs.

Once I got to the bottom, I realized I had no idea where the dining room was.

I blew out an angry breath, and then crossed my arms over my chest. “Well, there goes my meal—“

A hand softly touched my back. The feeling of being weightless overcame me, until I arrived in the dining room. I stumbled a little, into a room of people I don’t know.  I waved awkwardly at all of their stares.

Not this again.

I made my way to the table to see the end seat conveniently empty, aka the most awkward seat to sit in with a group of people you don’t know. That’s the seat everyone can see you in. I sat down, and fixed my sweater. Everyone’s gazes returned to their salads, and I let out a sigh of relief.

Then I lifted my gaze to the end of the table.

 ***********************************************************************************************************

 “Oh boy, this would only happen to me,” I muttered, moving around my salad with a fork. I covered my forehead with my hand, in an attempt to hide from King Brutus’ gaze. He luckily seemed to be distracted with the guests, and with the choosing of his wine than staring at me with a hungry gaze.

Speaking of hungry gazes and crazy controlling vamps, where’s Fang Face?

“I remember you,” a feeble voice stated.

I looked up to see the elderly woman from the castle. She sat across from me glaring at me the whole time. I remember being quiet rude to her. Her light blue eyes watched me, waiting for a response. My mouth clamped shut and looked away from her, because of my worry that the King would hear me.