Chapter 54: Caged

Please tell me which cover you like best on the right >>> I'm still open for more covers from fans!! :))

~Now that you're living with the Vampires. You better get, yourself a gun. ~You better run, run, run, run cause there's going to be some hell to pay

************************************************************************************************************

The clinking sound of metal made my eyes flutter open, but I forced them closed quickly after.

A severe headache started at my temples, and then lingered behind my eyes. Keeping my eyes shut tight, I inhaled the air around me. That surprisingly got me a nice lungful of freezing air, no decomposing bodies, and the putrid smell of lilacs and roses; not body odor. But my attempt of breathing threw me into a nice dry coughing fit. My eyes roamed around the dark room. I pulled down a the chains until I got into a sitting position. Every muscles in my back screamed in protest; because I was laying in a uncomfortable position on a cold floor.

Oh no, not this again.

The brain that has failed me so many times kicked into gear, and I realize my arms are hanging from a short ceiling. I looked up in the darkness; too see the vague outline of chains. “I guess he didn’t use the handcuffs this time,” I got out hoarsely, feeling as if my saliva is replaced with sand paper.

As sweat continued to pour down my face, I struggled to unattached myself from the ceiling by twisting my body. I swung back and forth, and grunted when they didn’t budge. I quickly gave up and stayed attached to the ceiling. My hair dropped into my face and I freaked, moving my head back and forth to get fid of the stray piece. He could have at least put my hair into a ponytail.

Why am I even here? Where exactly is here?

I frowned, trying to remember how I got here. I closed my eyes, letting my mind relax. Why am I here?

The sound of bolts and latches being removed from a door brought my head up. Lights turned on and I shut my eyes from the instant pain it caused. I muttered a curse, and squinted around the area. They intensely bright lights dimmed a little, and my eyes adjusted to the room with ease. Dark metal bars sit in front of me, as well as a luscious red carpet, and dark red walls. I’m in a small cage, with my hands chained over my head.

My heartbeat stuttered, and then picked up to a constantly fast pace. The red room; I’m in the red room; where Vampires in this place feed.  I glanced around the room, until my eyes locked on a familiar red couch. My heart crushed like a can, at the memory of Valentine feeding from Victoria right in front of me. “Hello?” I asked the room, sounding impossibly small.

A wrinkled hand opened the cage, and a familiar face lowered to my level. Alfred handed me a plate of leftover Thanksgiving food, and loosened the cage door. “His Highness insists that you eat.”

“I’m so glad to see you, please let me out. There’s a huge misunderstanding here. I don’t even know why I’m--”

“You are set to be executioner promptly at 7:00 tonight,” Alfred stayed, adjusting his suit nervously.

“What?’ I asked in disbelief, “Alfred you can’t let him do this! I did nothing wrong!”

His eyes became sad, “I wish I could help you, but I obey him.”

“Alfred let me out, please,” I begged, and moved around in the cage. He loosened my chains, until my arms dropped to my sides. I smiled, and then realized I’m still chained to the cage.

The butler stood up, “Please eat the meal; it is most likely your last.”

I stared at the food in front of me, and sat back in the cage. A delicious supply of stuffing, mashed potatoes, green beans, carrots, glazed yams, cran- berry sauce,  and even a piece of apple pie sits before me. I pushed the plate away, and moved against the back of the cage. “He wouldn’t give me a last meal. What is this really for?” I questioned.

Alfred reached under the lapel of his jacket, and handed me a note through the bars of the cage, “He wrote this for you.”

My hand felt the paper, but I pushed it back through the bars, “No, I don’t want it.”

Alfred placed it along the floor of the cage, “He told me it would be best if you read the letter. I bet it might explain some things.” I watched him stand up, and turn to leave.

Tears stung my eyes, and I reached out to the bars and shook them, “Alfred! Please!” I begged, as his hand hit the door knob.

He turned around, his old eyes sad. “Goodbye, Cassie.” He walked out of the room. The door shut quietly, and bolted shut.

As soon as he left I curled into a tight ball, becoming more freezing by the minute. Heat radiated off the food, teasing me with it’s warmth. My eyes danced over the envelope next to the plate on the floor of the cage, but I quickly looked away and continued to ignore it.

“Don’t read it Cassie,” I told myself, watching the cage bars with curiosity. I shut my eyes, “If he wants you to read it, it can’t have good news.”

After long moments of looking the other direction, I finally picked up the letter and tore it open. My shaky hands unfolded the letter, and I curled back into my corner of the cage.

Miss Heart,

I hope you love the little cage I put you in, even though your head hit the top of it numerous times as I tried and put you in. It was quite funny, not going to lie. I always pictured you some day being in this very cage, huddled in a ball from being so frightened; after breaking my thin trust in you, slow dancing and then bonding with my brother. Who knew dreams come true so easily. But enough of you being a nice, obedient, loyal, young lady, let’s get to the realistic part of this hand written letter.

So very sorry to tell you I will not only make you scream out in fear, pain and agony tonight, I will watch the life slowly drain from your eyes, and your last breath leave your lips. Enjoy your last meal, because I will not tolerate your blood tasting dull, especially since I will be ravishing a whole lot of it.

Also bathe in the few hours you have to live. I will come massacre you promptly at 7:00 PM tonight, right when it gets dark. No, I won’t be cutting your head off as most of my executions are. Since my anger still boils under my skin, I’m going to have some fun with this. So let me just ask you this.

Just how good are you at playing Hide and Seek? It is my favorite game you know, I just love it when I find the Mouse.

Sharpening my fangs,

-V

I placed the note on the floor, with shaky fingers and of course the lights decided to turn off, probably from a timer. I put the palms of my hands to my eyes and pushed back my tears. I’ve been stalked, kidnapped, played with, lied to, teased,  bullied, yelled at, frightened, tortured, chased, laughed at, and not to mention mocked by the scariest man alive, and now he’s going to kill me by playing a game Hide and Seek. This has honestly been the total opposite of what I thought my eighteenth year of life would be like.

But the worst part is that somewhere along the way I managed to drown in Valentine's ocean blue eyes, have an urge to rake his probably- soft chestnut hair between my fingers, and fall hopelessly, ridiculously, and completely in love with him.