Sick Squid

Plot: It's Crystal's 6th birthday and Meggy is determined to make up for last year no matter what, but what's stronger to beat? Expectations or a high fever?

(May 15th - 2023)

Tari got up in the morning feeling rather groggy, still tired from trying to get Alice and Emily to sleep. She rolled over to her side, expecting to find Meggy but found only an empty spot in the bed.

Tari: M-Meggy?

She got up, living herself onto her feet as she grabbed her Meta arm off the table and place it back on her stump, snapping in place like Lego as the feeling came back to her mechanical muscles.

She looked in the bathroom, but Meggy was nowhere to be seen. After brushing her teeth, sorting her hair, getting a shower and getting a change of clothes, she went outside to look.

Tari: Meggy? Where are you?

Still no answer. Making sure not to wake Crystal or the twins, she checked the bedrooms before heading downstairs.

There, she found Meggy mumbling to herself and preparing something in the dark.

Meggy: Cmon, Cmon...it's gotta be right, I'm gonna fix everything, I have too! It's gonna be amazing!

Tari: Meggy?

She flipped on the light, showing what Meggy was working on. Various streamers and birthday banners for a 6 year old were strung about the room, alongside a table meant for food items and a birthday cake. Meggy's reaction was to hiss like a vampire as the lights turned on.

Meggy: Turn them off, it's not ready yet!

Tari: Meggy? What's going on down here?

Meggy looked worse for ware, her hair was a mess and she had bags under her eyes.

Meggy: Oh, sorry Babe. I've just been down here making a setup for Crystal's birthday party!

Tari: Oh, then...why didn't you just ask for my help?

Meggy: Because you were fast asleep and exhausted. Even if I wanted to wake you, you wouldn't budge.

Tari smiled, then looked over to the couch.

Tari: And what about her?

On the couch, Desti was facedown in the cushions, groaning with her blackened tired eyes barley able to stay open.

Meggy: Oh, I had her help setting up the banner's, she doesn't mind!

Desti mumbled something into the pillows, so Tari lifted her head up to speak.

Desti (Slurred): Dragged out of bed...3AM...So tired...

Tari looked at Meggy with furrowed eyes. She put Desti down and threw a blanket over her so she could finally sleep.

Tari: Meggy, is something going on?

Meggy's face dropped as she looked up towards the stairs.

Meggy: I'm just...trying to make up for what happened last year.

Tari's heart throbbed, she knew what she meant.

Meggy: When she turned 5 last year, you and I had just learned we were having the twins. I got caught up in it all and then I left you and her alone for her birthday, then she started-

Meggy couldn't finish the sentence, not because of guilt but because she suddenly felt a spike of dull pain in her head.

Meggy: Ugh...