③⓪.

Washington, DCSaturday 12:27pmEssence's Parents house

Washington, DC
Saturday 12:27pm
Essence's Parents house

The weekend had finally come around and now Essence stood in front of the one place she always dreaded visiting. She kept reminding herself that it was all for True and that was the only thing that forced her to the front door to finally knock.

After a few minutes had passed, she could hear shuffling behind the door along with a silhouette that clearly wasn't tall enough to be her father's. She then took a deep breath preparing to be greeted by her least favorite parent.

"Essence, it's so nice to see you." Her mother spoke once the door opened. She flashed her usual fake smile and Essence had to fight back an eye roll.

"Yeah, you too." Essence lied as she let out a sigh under her breath and stepped inside the house, "Is dad here?" She questioned, looking around the house.

"He is." Kim nodded at her daughter, "He's finishing up some work, he'll probably be down in a minute."

"Oh ok." Essence replied lowly. She was dreading being alone in a room with her mother for anything more than ten minutes. She only hoped her father would come join them soon.

"How've you been?" Essence heard her mother ask and she internally groaned at the meaningless question.

Skip the fucking small talk, Essence thought to herself. Now she understood why True always said he hated it.

"Good." Essence kept it short as she stared around the room to avoid her mother's eyes.

"And Arielle?" Her mother went on with a list of questions that Essence wasn't in the mood to answer.

"Why don't you call her and ask?" Essence responded with a hint of attitude, knowing their mother was just trying to be nosey.

"I would but I'm blocked, again." Kim shrugged, chuckling a little.

"I'm sure it's for a good reason too." Essence mumbled and luckily her mother didn't hear her.

"I heard about your friend...such a shame what happened." Kim then spoke, making Essence's head snap back toward her. It was obvious she was referring to True.

"Yeah, it is." Essence said, eyeing her mother from where she sat, "He's not my friend though, he's my boyfriend. We're dating, in case you weren't aware."

"Dating someone whose serving life in prison...You definitely know how to pick them, don't you?" Her mother jabbed and finally Essence was over beating around the bush.