②⑧.

4 MONTHS LATER: June 19th

Miami, FL
Saturday 2:23pm

130 days but it felt like forever.

That's how long True had been gone out of his loved ones lives. Things weren't just different for Essence, they were different for everyone. It was like mourning someone who wasn't even dead. Not to mention, the prison he was held in had been making excuses about his phone calls being set up. Four whole months and nobody even knew how he was doing. There was no contact at all.

It was also the day of True's birthday. The first one him and Essence would of gotten to spend together.

Though she felt alone, she really wasn't. Everyone was by her side and had been since the day True left. She had grown extremely close to Trinity, and her little sister Arielle made sure to visit weekly. Jahzari was great support too. With her father being taken away by the prison system too, she gave Essence reassuring talks that things would get better once True could have visits and phone calls.

Of course Chassidy and Aladrea's visits to Essence were an everyday thing, them being her best friends. It didn't matter what they were doing, they always stopped by.

Essence even had to thank all the boys Ju, Dee, Monty and Zay who all looked out for her as well. They were the ones running to Issac everyday to help find valuable evidence, determined to prove that True was wrongfully convicted. Which he was.

It was like one big supportive family except all they were missing was True, and to Essence—nothing was ever complete without him.

She even had support from some people she never expected to care about her situation at all. Sometimes hardships brought those most distance back together.

"Hello?" Essence spoke, barely showing herself in the FaceTime call that she had just answered.

"Baby girl, you okay today?" Her father, Denzel asked in his usual giddy tone. Though, he knew the answer once seeing Essence's puffy red eyes.

She had been doing so well the past few weeks but today was definitely a rough one.

"Same as always." Essence responded blandly while adjusting herself to sit up on the couch. Four whole months and Essence still couldn't live life normally. Nothing had felt right since True left and she didn't think it ever would, until he came home.

"Any plans for the day?" Her father then asked and it made Essence roll her eyes.

"No. Why would I have plans?" Essence questioned back, staring at her father blankly through the phone.