⑧.

║True║Saturday 7:00 PM Miami, FL

True
Saturday 7:00 PM
Miami, FL

After telling Essence about everything I endured as a child and as a teenager, I could tell she was feeling sorry for me. Seeing that I picked her up from the airport around 1 PM and it's now 7 PM, you'd think she'd be begging to go home. Maybe it wasn't the best topic to talk about at dinner since the shit did bother me but I was proud of myself for opening up to someone.

Finding yo' momma fucked up like that is some shit you never forget and killing her boyfriend that allowed it to happen to her doesn't fill the void. Even my homeboys don't know the full details about my past, they just know about the shit I've done in the streets. I've never been in an actual relationship so I never told any woman these things. Maybe I was too trusting of Essence or maybe I had dealt with too many grimy ass hoes who always thought to cross me.

"I love the beach at this time." I heard Essence say next to me. I looked over to see her pretty brown eyes exploring the ocean's rough waves.

I nodded as I looked out into the same ocean she was staring out at. "Shit be therapeutic long as you ain't on South Beach."

Essence wanted to end our day at this secluded beach she likes and I didn't have anything else to do tonight anyways. We sat next to each other, shoes off, toes in the sand while watching the sun set. Shit felt like one of them cheesy chick flick, love story type movies.

Maybe I was just enjoying my time but I hope I wouldn't sound crazy saying I was really feeling Essence now. Before my attraction was based solely off her looks but everything I've learned about her today just made me like her more. It wasn't just lust either, part of me realize I was  interested in her and who she is. A nigga like me didn't normally commit but I'd be willing to be tied down forever if I had the chance to have Essence.

"I had fun with you today, friend." Essence smiled brightly, wiggling her toes in the sand.

"Friend?" I looked over with raised brows, "You giving me another chance huh?"

"Yeah...unless you don't wanna be my friend." She said playfully while giving my shoulder a gentle shove.

"Yeah, we friends fasho." I laughed while turning my gaze back on the ocean. "But I do gotta thing for you Essence." I admitted confidently, not looking for any answer in particular. I knew she wasn't ready to date but I was willing to wait.

"I know....but It's only been one year since I got out of my abusive relationship." Essence looked back down into the sand underneath us.

"Damn, I ain't know it was that recent." I replied, hoping I wasn't being too pushy.

"I'm pretty sure he's out now...he didn't serve much time for everything that happened." Essence stated, making a very unreadable facial expression.

"If you don't mind me asking, what happened and who is this nigga?" I questioned, watching her sigh at the question.