Baby - Jack Hughes

Edited 05/08/2024

Recently, Carla gave birth to she and Jack's son, Alex. Alex, to put it lightly, has been a pain in the ass. He never sleeps, he's always crying, and he barely eats when she tries to feed him. Carla has been out of work but she needs to go back soon so she doesn't lose her job. But the thing is, Alex cries whenever she or Jack leave the room.

Right now, Carla is basically a single mom. Jack is never home since he's either out with friends, travelling, or at practice. When he is home, however, it's like he isn't. Jack never helps with Alex and, to say the least, Alex misses his dad. And Carla misses her fiancée. Whenever Alex sees his father, he makes grabby hands or whines. 

Carla hasn't slept in 2 days. She's starving. She's tired. And, as basically mentioned, she's a complete mess. She is so stressed out since her manager has told her that if she doesn't get back in a week, she'll lose her job. No nanny is willing to help with Alex.

Right now, Carla finally got Alex down for a nap. At the moment, she's sitting on the couch with her head in her hands, trying not to cry of frustration. She heard the front door open and close, her head snapping up to see her fiancée. 

"Jack?" Carla said, her voice raspy with tiredness.

"What's up?" Jack asked, walking towards her.

"I need help. Alex is sucking the life out of me. Please just help me tonight an-" Jack cut her off.

"God, Carla. Why are you complaining so much? You knew what you signed u-" Jack was cut off by the sound of their son crying. Carla groaned and got up when she saw he wasn't going to move, her feet practically dragging behind her as she walked.

She walked into Alex's room and grabbed him in her arms, rocking him. Carla sang a bit to him and he finally calmed down. Sighing in relief, she sat in the rocking chair as Alex fell back asleep, her eyes shutting.

Jack felt so bad watching Carla basically drag herself down the hallway. He pulled out his phone and dialed Tom Fitzgerald's number.

Tom: italics
Jack: Bold

"Hello?" 

"Hey, Tom, it's Jack."

"Oh hey Jack! What can I do for you?"

"Well, I was wondering if I could have a bit of time off. My fiancée just had a baby and I want to be around to help her."

"Of course! You can have as long as needed. Just be back for playoffs."

"Thank you."

"No problem!"

Just like that, the call ended. Jack smiled and went to Alex's room to tell Carla. When he walked in, however, she was passed out in the chair with Alex asleep in her arms. Jack gently took Alex and put him in his bed, kissing his forehead. He then picked up Carla bridle style and brought her to their room, placing her down and pulling the covers over her.

Alex started crying again so Jack went to his room and picked him up. He was hungry, so Jack brought him to the kitchen after he calmed down. He fed Alex and smiled when he giggled. He brought his tiny hands up to his dad's face and touched all around, making him scrunch up his nose.

"Dada." Alex said. Jack was shocked. He's only two months old, how is he already talking? "Dada?" He repeated, with more of a question.

"Yeah. I'm dada." Jack smiled. Alex giggled again. They went to his playroom and he set Alex in his playpen to play. Jack sat beside him while he had fun. About two hours later, Carla walked in and smiled. 

"Mama!" Alex exclaimed. Both of them were shocked once again. How?

"Did he just-" Jack cut her off.

"Talk? Yeah." The two looked at one another and grinned.

6 years later

"LET'S GO ALEX!" Jack shouted. Currently, he and Carla are at Alex's hockey game. He's the best on his team. Wonder where he got that from..

"Babe, calm down." Carla laughed. Jack laughed along.

Turns out, that time off was all he needed to create a strong connection with their son. He spends more time with them and he barely goes out now unless the two parents have time off. Jack placed his head on Carla's shoulder as she placed her head on his. 

"Thank God you manned up and actually helped me out with that child." Carla joked. 

"That's mean." Jack said with a pout. She kissed away the pout, making him smile.

"It's the truth. Sometimes, truth hurts." Jack stuck his tongue out at her and she just laughed. "Maybe you spend to much time with him."

***

It ain't to good, but that's okay.

Requested by Gv_oooooo

WC: 779