Forty-Five

Lia stepped through the portal from her room in Asgard, to her room in Wakanda. She turned, watching it close behind her and she headed to her window, looking out at the city. She wanted to settle somewhere with her baby, but there were so many places to choose from. She smiled, thinking back to her ride with Loki a few days ago.

------------------------------------------------------------

Riding through the asgardian forest with Loki, she remembered the first time they met. She had found he was nothing at all like the man who invaded earth a few years ago. She could see that he felt guilty for his actions, and the look in his eyes, told her that he had suffered a similar fate as Bucky. She hugged him tight, even though he had tried to squirm from her grasp, he eventually gave in, and hugged her back.

That was weeks ago. She found that he had come a long way since she first met him. He was more relaxed, and happy. She had spoken with Frigga and Odin, and they had put him in her care, whenever she visited Asgard.

Their ride through the forest had been a quiet one, until they reached their spot. It was there that Loki would have her scream out her pain and frustration, teaching her to use magic like him and they would both talk, about everything. They spent hours, until the sky had began to darken, before returning.

'Why do you still hide my dear? I can read your mind, and your thoughts are very loud..'... She looked over at Loki, seeing him smirk at her.

'Ok, again, those thoughts are private Mischief. Stay out of those ones..'... She rolled her eyes, allowing the horse to lead the way, as she sat atop.

'I'm sure I could make you scream louder. It would only take a few moments, and I would make you forget all about the Captain..'.. Lia snorted a laugh.

'A few moments..'.. She tutted at him... 'Honeslty Loki, that's disappointing. No one wants a two pump chump..'

Loki threw his head back laughing. Though he thought her desirable, he would never make a move on her. It was clear her heart, mind, body and soul belonged to the Captain. Although he did wish to see the man again, if only to knock sense into him.

'May I escort you to dinner?'... He asked, smiling at her.

'Absolutely. Mischief and trouble, we got to stick together..'... She winked at him, and urged her horse to run... 'Last one back wears pink to dinner'

Loki shook his head, in the short time he knew her, he adored her. She made him want to be a better man. He could only hope, he could help free her from the darkness that was consuming her. Though she never admitted or showed it, he could see it in her.

------------------------------------------------------------

Tony and Steve stood in a private room, to the side of Shuris lab. They had arrived a few hours before, both men and Shuri had been hauled up in front of the queen, only to be lectured at. Lia was right, Tony really didn't want to cross the queen. He had stood, fidgeting like a naughty child, while she had admonished them.

Both men were escorted to their previous rooms to change, and then brought to the private room of the lab, where they were told to wait. Shuri had allowed access so that they could watch Lia at her appointment. It was only a check up, and another scan.

Steve's breath caught in his throat, as he saw on the display, her walking into the lab with the queen. She looked as beautiful as ever, and he couldn't help but step closer to the feed. He tried to see if she was showing.

'How are you feeling Ihobe?'... The two men heard Shuri ask, watching as they hugged.

'Thankfully, still no morning sickness, little frosty is good to me..'.. She laughed, placing her hands on her stomach. Steve felt a blow, hearing her call their child frosty. It meant a lot to him, that she did.

Tony and Steve watched as she laid on the table, and Shuri scanned over her. Another display popped up in the room they were in, showing them everything. The sound of a heartbeat, thrummed around them.

Steve couldn't take it anymore, and rushed to the door, pulling it open... 'Shit..'.. Tony muttered, following right behind. He didn't blame Rogers for wanting to be out there, he had already missed enough.

------------------------------------------------------------

Lia sucked in a breath. She could hear footsteps coming into the lab, and ones she knew well. She couldn't look, she didn't want to... 'Shuri, what did you do!'... She saw the panic on her sisters face above her, and she rolled to the side, still not looking behind her. Lia got up quickly, and backed up. She was thankful for Loki teaching her magic, and that she had picked it up quickly.

She focused as hard as she could, just as she heard him speak, she knew he was getting closer... 'Lia, please wait. Don't go..'

She closed her eyes, and focused on the magic, teleporting herself, to her room. She opened her eyes and stumbled, feeling nauseous. Not from the baby, or teleporting, but from the fact he was here. She gave herself a few minutes to bring her emotions back under control. She knew she didnt have much time, he was fast and knowing him, he was already on his way to her room. Pulling herself together, she quickly made a portal, and rushed through it, hoping it would close fast enough. She turned, seeing his face, as he opened her bedroom door in Wakanda, before the portal closed.

She dropped to her knees in her asgardian bedroom, and cried. In her mind, she called out for Loki needing him. It wasn't long before she felt his arms around her, picking her up and placing her on her bed.

Loki sat on the edge next to her, and placed a had to her head, helping her to sleep. He sighed, seeing what had happened. Once she was asleep, he pulled a blanket over her, and left her room, in search of his brother. Loki could not sit by any longer, he wanted to help her.

He found his brother in the gardens, and pulled him to the side. Loki told Thor everything, from their first interaction, to their talks, and about how she was suffering. Loki had an idea, but he would need to be able to leave Asgard. He knew his parents would probably say no, but Thor had assure his brother, that he would speak on his behalf.

Loki sighed, heading back to her room to stay with her. He hoped Thor would be able to convince them, to let him leave. He feared that the darkness would consume her completely. She needed to keep fighting, but was losing hope. He had seen the thoughts that crossed her mind, of her leaving her child with the Captain, and giving up.

Though he knew she would never go through with it, her love for her child was the only light she had. Shaking his head, he entered her room, and laid down next to her, taking her hand in his. He looked into her mind, and pulled on her happy memories, hoping she wouldn't have another nightmare again.

😘