Three

After a few hours, her bloodwork showed that she had the serum, but clear of infection. He looked over at her, sleeping on the bed, curled up under his jacket. He ran a hand over his face, it worked, he did it.

He felt as though a weight lifted off of him. She was healthy, healed and now, she could grow up, without any health issues.

Though now, now he had to explain all this to his wife and son. He watched her sleep, wondering how he was going to explain to a 4 year old, that her twin brother was now an adult.

----------------------------------------------------------

Howard carried her quietly through the house, and up to her old room. He knew she would need familiar comfort, for what was to come. Once he placed her in bed, with her toys, he kissed her head and left.

He had called Tony before leaving the lab, telling him he had to come home and that it was urgent. His son fired off questions, but Howard had assured him all was well, and he just needed to hurry home.

He entered his bedroom, seeing his wife still asleep. He carefully sat on the edge of the bed next to her, brushing her hair from her face... 'Sweetheart, I need you to wake up'

She scrunched her face, rolling onto her back... 'Maria, I need you to wake up, its urgent'... He coaxed. She stirred, opening her eyes. When she saw the look on his face, she sat up, starting to worry.

'What's wrong? Is it Anthony? Is he hurt?'... Howard took her hand, smiling at her.

'Hes fine. He's on his way home now. But there is something I need to tell you'... He took a breath, his heart pounding in his chest.

She pulled from him, and shot out of bed. She stood staring at him... 'Howard, you're scaring me. What's happened?'

Howard stood, taking hold of her upper arms. He gave her a bright smile... 'I did it. I found-..'

The bedroom door opened, the both of them turning to look. Stood there, with one hand on the door handle, the other rubbing her eyes, was Amelia... 'Mama?'

Howard caught Maria, before she hit the floor. Scooping her up in his arms, he looked at his daughter... 'Mama gone to sleep too?'

He placed his wife back in the bed. He turned to the little girl, holding his hand out... 'Shes going to be fine sweetpea, I promise. She was so shocked and happy to see you, she needed another minute to wake up properly'

He picked Amelia up, sitting her on his lap, as he perched on the edge of the bed again. A groan came next to them, and Maria opened her eyes, seeing them.

When her gaze settled on the little girl, tears burst from her as she sat up... 'Tell me I'm not dreaming?'

'No you're not. I did it, I found a way. She's healthy now'... He stroked his daughters back.

'Are you sad mama?'... Amelia asked her mother.

'Oh no honey. I'm crying because I'm so happy that you're better, and you're here again. I missed you so much'... Amelia climbed from her fathers lap, and into her mothers, hugging her.

'Daddy says I'm all better now. He said I sleep a long time'... She looks to her dad, then cups her hands to whisper... 'Daddy is old man now'

Both her parents burst out laughing at her words. The two of them were happy, to have their daughter back.

----------------------------------------------------------

*2015*

She finished wiping down the bar, singing along to Etta James, when the door opened. Looking up she smiled, seeing him walk in.

'I take it you got off early them?'... She walked down her side of the bar towards him. They had been dating a couple of weeks, and it had been going well. She grabbed two beers, sapping the lids off.

'We got to talk'... Jacob said, as he took a seat on one of the stools at the bar. She looked him over, seeing that look on his face, and the way he wasn't making eye contact.

She scoffed, putting one of the bottles in front of him with a thud... 'How much?'... She asked, staring at him.

'What?'... His eyes quickly catch hers as he picks up the beer. He had a terrible poker face.

'How much money did he throw at you, to walk away?'... She huffs out, taking a large gulp of her beer. She looks at it and puts it down. Reaching over, she grabs the vodka, pulling out the spout and takes a large drink of it.

'Hey!..'.. Jacob reaches across the bar, grabbing the bottle from her... 'What the fuck are you doing?'

'Can't get drunk anyway..'.. She wipes her mouth with he back if her hand, before folding her arms... 'So tell me, how much am I worth?'

Jacob sighed, as he sat back down, still holding the vodka bottle... 'A million'

She snorted, rolling her eyes... 'And what exactly did he say? I want every word. You owe me that much'

Jacob tells her everything. She couldn't believe, he had done this to her again. She was going to kill him. Gritting her teeth, she told Jacob to get out, as she hopped over the bar to lock up behind him.

Sending a quick text to her bar manager, she let him know that she would be away for a while. Heading upstairs to her apparent, she hastily packed a bag, grabbing her passport, charger and purse, stuffing them in too.

Once she got outside, she strapped her bag to the back of her bike. She was beyond pissed. After everything they had been through, separately and together, he was still trying to control her life, just like his father.

Hopping on, she kicked her bike to start. She sped off through the streets of New Orleans, heading to New York. If she only stopped for has, she would make it by tomorrow afternoon.

😘