Chapter 6, Part 7: Yuuji, Meeting with the long-awaited Kemomimi

「Finally, with this, the west side is OK, right? They wouldn't be able to pass.......」(Yuuji)

「Yuuji-nii, does the outside still need to be dented?」(Alice)

The season was late autumn.

Yuuji was constructing a fence around the cultivated fields.

Alice was "helping!" Yuuji with her magic and enthusiastically watching Yuuji working.

By the way, Kotarou was patrolling the surroundings.

He began constructing fences as a measure against harmful animals like deer and boars and to momentarily impede the monsters. The workload for this was relatively high.

This was reasonable. Since there were no corrugated galvanized iron (CGI) sheets1, he couldn't make an CGI fence. The garage had a CGI wall, but he hesitated to peel it off for the fence. Since he didn't have any wire netting, he also couldn't make a simple chain-link fence. An electric fence was also out of question. Of course, there wasn't any barbed wire, either.

In the end, he could only do this the primitive way: driving wooden stakes into the ground, which were tied to each other using rope. The stakes were pointing forward, but this might only be mere consolation for his peace of mind. To begin with, he realized that he didn't have any wooden boards and only a few nails. The result was this wooden fence for preventing harmful animal and to momentarily stop intruders.

「Mr. Earth, get down for a bit!」(Alice)

On the land opening area, Alice's magic took an active role in the tree roots removal.

Indenting the ground outside the wooden fence that Yuuji constructed, she also made a small dry moat, although a shallow one.

A tear-provoking effort from a small girl.

The autumn season had entered its last legs.

The beautiful red leaves on the trees had fallen, it wouldn't be strange if the snow started falling any time soon.

The potatoes growing in the fields had also been harvested, so they were only waiting for Kevin's arrival.

By the way, last year they had cultivated potatoes and this year they had done the same, too, but the harvest was unfavorable. It seems to be the hurdles of repeated cultivation. Yuuji felt how dire his need was of a person who possessed this world's agricultural knowledge.

"Hmm, Kevin-san should soon come."

In the forest of shedding leaves, Yuuji's murmur could be heard.

□ □ ■ ■ □ ■ ■ □ □

Yuuji and Alice, who returned home, ate a light lunch.

Today's lunch was kofuki imo(powdered potatoes)2 made from nothing but the harvested potatoes. It seems that today they settled on a simple-to-make-dish to fill their belly.

*munch*munch*mnch* Alice ate the potatoes with swollen cheeks. A few days ago, she turned eight, so her way of eating was still childish.

*fuh* Yuuji turned his line of sight outside the window.

The snowfall bugs were floating inside the forest. Before long, the snow will fall, the sign that winter will begin.

"Oh, so, it will be winter soon?" Yuuji leaked out his monologue. Even though this was a fairytale-like sight, this was his third time so he had been used to it.

「Yuuji-san! Sorry to make you wait!」(?)

There was someone calling Yuuji from outside.

"Woofwoof", Kotarou also called out. Her bark was as if she was saying, "I met with them midway, so I led them here."