Chapter 7, Part 7: Yuuji Goes to the Adventurers' Guild

"Hah! Hah! Hup!"

It was the morning right after their meeting with the governor and the wife of the feudal lord, and Yuuji had completed his pathfinder registration.

Standing in the back yard of Kevin's firm, Yuuji had taken to waving about a spear in solitude. It was most certainly not a thinly-veiled attempt at purging himself from the onslaught of worldly desires catalysed by the charm of a voluptuous bosom.

In a world teeming with monsters, this kind of thing was nothing more than a daily routine meant to hone his skills in self-defence. He had picked up the basics of wielding these short spears on the way to town, courtesy of Kevin's exclusive escort, and his movements traced what he had been taught.

In the meantime, Alice had ventured to lend a hand with the store. The stores in this city opened up awfully early in the day, too. It was similar to the stores so common in Japan, which made their preparations the minute the sun began to rise and opened up shop at seven in the morning. Then again, stores like those had a tendency to close their doors early.

This would be the fourth day they would spend in this city. In the three days Alice had been working as a shop assistant, she had taken up the role of the pretty girl icon that attracted their clientele. The smile she offered when serving the customers, completely deprived of any timidity, as well as her solid grasp of calculations made her a sort of oasis for the older gentlemen that frequented the place.

Yuuji exhaled, letting out a prolonged gust of wind. It seemed that he had fulfilled his morning regime. Muttering something to himself about washing his sweat away, he made his way to the common well.

"I can just walk around town today, huh? Can't wait!"

He had spoken in a voice far too high in volume to be considered a soliloquy. With the biggest obstacle of his stay in this town – namely, the meeting – over and done with, he had decided to spend the rest of his time strolling about this otherworldly town.

Rather than being plagued by the tensions and anxieties of someone who hadn't ventured out into town for some ten-odd years, his own fascination with the fantastical setting of this world and the towns inside it won him over.

□□ ■■ □ ■■ □□

"Yuuji-san, why don't we go to an Adventurers' Guild first? We can submit an investigation request there. They're recruiting pathfinders, too."

"A... An Adventurers' Guild... G-Got it!"

Walking along the great road of Prumie City were Kevin, Yuuji, and Alice. Kotaro waddled at Alice's side, and one of the exclusive escorts walked in Kevin's shadow. The other one had chosen to remain at the store.

Contrary to what they had worn for the interview previously, Yuuji had covered himself in hide armour and had equipped both his short spear and shield, while Alice was garbed In her robes.

While they did have an escort not far behind, it was purely meant as a precaution. In any case, Yuuji was somewhat thrilled by the idea that one could walk about towns in this other world with weapons in hand; it was just so true to something he'd see in a game.

Through Kevin's guidance, they soon reached a large, two-story building made of stone, located close to the centre of the city. Serving as a signboard placed atop the entrance was the emblem of a shield with two blades crossing above it.

This seemed to be the Adventurers' Guild.

"Oh? Just where did I leave that letter...? Yuuji-san, please go on ahead."

Adhering to Kevin's words, Yuuji took the lead and entered the building together with Alice and Kotaro. At the back of their little line-up, Kotaro turned around just before entering the guild, looked in Kevin's direction, and gave a snort through his nose. It was as if he was telling the others that that man was most definitely scheming something.