Light in the Darkness

By kslytherinz

Adelaide Burke is the daughter of the cruel, pureblood Burke Family. She is expected to uphold the ideals and... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101

Chapter 54

181 6 3
By kslytherinz

Adelaide groaned as she woke up for the first day of classes. She had Defense Against the Dark Arts first thing and she didn't know if she could handle the sickly sweet voice of Professor Umbridge this early.

She tumbled out of bed, quickly changing into her robes, combing her hair, putting on a light coat of mascara, brushing her teeth, and stumbling out the door. She mildly regretted staying up so late last night talking with her friends, but she missed them all so much. She met Draco in the Common Room since they were the only ones with the exception of Crabbe and Goyle in their class and they walked over. Thankfully they got there early enough to snag the table in the far back.

Slytherins almost always sat in the back of the class. Not because they wanted to get away with goofing off, but they were bound to mutter something sarcastic or snarky and wouldn't want the Professor to hear. This wasn't so much of a problem with Adelaide, but Draco physically couldn't go through one class period without complaining about something.

Draco loudly groaned when he saw the Golden Trio walk in sneering, "Why are they always in our class? Isn't there just one class I can have some peace and quiet in?" Adelaide patted his hand lightly as he glared venomously at the three who had just walked in.

As the rest of the students piled in one of the Patil twins made a beautiful paper bird that gracefully flew through the air. Adelaide glared at Crabbe as he swatted it in the air, but thankfully it recovered and continued until it burst into flames and fell onto the floor. Adelaide looked up and of course it was Professor Umbridge who had burnt the paper bird.

She gave a boring lecture about OWLs which Adelaide wasn't too concerned over. Her mind wandered off until one of the textbooks dropped onto her desk. Adelaide furrowed her brow as she saw the title "Dark Defense for beginners" and it was illustrated with children on the front cover. She glanced at Draco to see him also staring weirdly at the book.

Hermione Granger spoke up, "There's nothing in here about using defensive spells?"

Professor Umbridge giggled, "Why of course not. Why would we need to use spells in my classroom?" Adelaide honestly couldn't care less. There was very little she didn't already know because of her parents and she didn't really need to practice anything because most spells she could do non-verbally and in some cases without a wand. One less class to worry about meant more time she could focus on her task. However, a lot of the Gryffindors seemed to be really upset about it.

Harry Potter began to take the lead, arguing about needing to use spells to defend themselves. Adelaide grew uncomfortable seeing where this conversation could lead. Just as he and Professor Umbridge were beginning to get into a bit of a heated discussion about why on earth they would need to know defensive spells, he then dropped the bomb Adelaide was afraid of,

"Oh, I don't know..maybe Lord Voldemort."

Whispers began to spread throughout the classroom, Adelaide had to dig her nails into her hands to stop them from shaking. Draco softly put his hand on Adelaide's and gave it a reassuring squeeze and groaned loud enough for everyone to hear, "Here we go again." which awarded a few snickers from the Slytherins.

Professor Umbridge completely shut him down. Grilling Harry about how dangerous it is to spread these sort of lies. Adelaide relaxed as she saw the rest of the room begin to also relax with the Professor's reassurance. Potter even received a detention after he threw a complete fit resulting in her screaming at him.

"I have a feeling Potter will be spending at lot of time in detention this year." Draco whispered with a malicious smirk. The only problem with him being punished was Gryffindors were weirdly fueled by the possibility of being a martyr, if anything being put in detention will only make him act out more. She decided to keep tabs on his movements after that, see how he took the detentions.

After the sudden outburst, she finally droned on about the class, about their OWLs, about the Ministry's hope for the future of education. Adelaide couldn't quite pay full attention because Draco's hand had managed to find its way to her knee and it slowly crept up to her mid thigh. Her heart was pounding and fluttering all at once, she could feel her cheeks slightly warm.

As class ended, Professor Umbridge squeaked, "Mr. Malfoy, Ms. Burke, may I speak with you quickly?" Draco ripped his hand off Adelaide's leg, both of their faces turning slightly red. "Well goodness, don't look so nervous! I just wanted to ask how your first day has been! After yesterday's attack, I just wanted to check in. The Minister, of course, is very invested in not only the quality of the education, but the learning environment as well." she smiled, blinking at a patterned rate that made it seem almost artificial.

Adelaide glanced at Draco nervously, "Uh..so far it's been well. No one has thrown blood at us since yesterday, so that's a start.." Draco's face turned into a scowl, "Bar is set pretty low Addie, don't you think?"

Professor Umbridge cleared her throat, "I have informed the Minister of the incident. He is absolutely furious. The story of the attack will be in the Daily Prophet tomorrow. Hogwarts depends greatly on the investment of their alumni and most of their wealthiest alumni are purebloods. Hopefully this will," she paused dramatically, "encourage certain faculty members to take action against those who hold a disdain for purebloods. Especially purebloods that value tradition such as yourselves."

Draco and Adelaide both smiled and awkwardly nodded their heads up and down, hoping she'd let them go. They knew that the Minister was trying to create a persona of Dumbledore being a crazy pureblood hating, power-hungry wizard who was trying to overthrow the Ministry with some sort of Hogwarts student uprising. A story of his students attacking purebloods of high standing would certainly cause an uproar amongst powerful pureblood families that, as Umbridge said, contributed greatly to the funding of Hogwarts. It would also encourage parents of purebloods to write to the Minister and demand he intervene so their children will be safe. It was smart, but Draco and Adelaide hated the idea of being martyrs for a cause, Draco especially because he had a strong pride.

"Well..anyways. Thank you for your time, if you don't mind, I have to spend some time with Mr. Potter in detention." The two turned around to see that Harry was awkwardly standing there the whole time, looking quite angrily at Draco. Draco smirked, shoulder checking Harry and growling, "Enjoy your detention Potter."

Harry looked questioningly at Adelaide as if he was hoping she would stop Draco. Harry was quite confused about Adelaide. He never really knew her other than the fact she was in Slytherin and friends with Draco, but she seemed really nice and even helped him for his first task in the Triwizard Tournament. After that though, she had grown cold.

She now seemed to find Draco's bullying amusing which wasn't quite surprising as most of the Slytherins found his constant pestering to be a source of entertainment. He just didn't understand what happened to Adelaide to make her suddenly flip a switch. He also felt so uneasy about her like she was dangerous, but he couldn't quite put his finger on it. He looked back to Professor Umbridge and reluctantly walked into her office with his head down, putting his confusion aside.

Adelaide and Draco walked down the corridor together and since there was no one around, Draco thought it would be best to ask her now, "Hey Addie..I know you said they've gotten better, but I wasn't sure if you're still having those nightmares?" He was a little anxious that he could no longer be there to wake her up if she was having one of those dreams of the snake attacking her. "Because...I know I'm definitely not as good as you or Philip, but if you wanted, I could try using legilimancy to stop the nightmares if you want or at least place a happier dream in?"

Adelaide's eyes grew large, "What did you just say?"

Draco blushed, "Well, I don't have to..I just wasn't sur-" he was interrupted by her strong kiss, "Draco you are brilliant!" she jumped up and down, grabbing his arm and ripping him to an empty corridor.

"I..uh..thanks?" he stumbled, confused and excited by her reaction. "I didn't even think about using legilimancy on Harry! Draco, I can use this to get him to the Department of Mysteries to retrieve the prophecy!" Draco was stunned that his moment of kindness had turned into a revolutionary way of helping Addie with her task. He had felt so helpless watching his father demand that she do this all on her own.

She smothered him in a warm hug, "Thank you thank you thank you thank you!" She was beyond grateful and relieved. It was a fool-proof plan, she could place a dream of the prophecy, exactly where it was, and lure him in to collect it for her.

Draco beamed at Adelaide's reaction, wrapping his arms around her waist, "I'm glad I could be of help." she looked at Draco with a sweet smile, running her fingers through his hair, "Could I practice the dream legilimancy on you? I've never tried it before and want it to be perfected before I try it on Harry."

Draco's brow quickly furrowed, "Why me? No. Do someone else." the thought of her in his head made him incredibly nervous especially knowing how talented she was. She pouted, grabbing his hands off her waist and into her hands, "Pleaaase. I can't practice on any one else, they don't know what's happening like you do. You're the only one." she felt slightly guilty pulling the Dark-Lord's-Task card, but he truly was the only one she could practice on and get feedback. He cringed as he said, "I guess.." Adelaide jumped in delight, but he quickly cut off her celebration, "but you will NOT peak around my mind, got it? You go in, place the dream, and get out." she lovingly put her head on his shoulder, looking up at him and lifting her pinky, "I promise."

He laughed at her stupid gesture, linking his pinky into hers. They walked down the hall towards their Potions class. Draco was already nervous about accepting to be the guinea pig, but at least it meant he got to spend more time with her.

He was beyond happy that she seemed to be returning the affection to him. He didn't want to assume anything and end up pushing her away, but he had never been happier now that she was by his side.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

41.8K 2K 26
The founders of Hogwarts, combined had the power to create, destroy and conquer, power beyond a muggles wildest dreams. Hogwarts was their home, thei...
6.8K 375 13
Lavinia Hogwarts had slept a thousand years to be there with them, to join the Order of the Phoenix and now her time has come to make good on her pro...
25.9K 645 35
This story is currently being edited and the new version will be posted on AO3 when it is complete x For 12 years she believed her parents to have be...
1.1K 104 36
ᡃ ᢠⁱʳ˒ᡗ ᡖᡉʳ˒ᡒⁿ Λ’α΅—α΅’Κ³ΚΈ α΅ƒα΅‡α΅’α΅˜α΅— ᡐʸ α΅’αΆœ ᡃˑᡃ˒ᡗᡒʳ Κ³β±α΅ˆα΅ˆΛ‘α΅‰ - 𝐎𝐧𝐠𝐨𝐒𝐧𝐠 - "πš‚πš•πš’πšπš‘πšŽπš›πš’πš—!" πšƒπš‘πšŽ πš‘πšŠπš πšŒπšŠπš•πš•πšŽπš 𝚘𝚞𝚝 πš‹πšŽπšπš˜πš›πšŽ πš’πš πšŒπš˜πšžπš•...