Jailbird

By rainkissed10

ยซ Every year they come up with some new bullshit, every year man. ยป ... More

p r e f a c e
a e s t h e t i c s
p r o l o g u e
c h a p t e r I
c h a p t e r II
c h a p t e r III
c h a p t e r IV
c h a p t e r V
c h a p t e r VI
c h a p t e r VII
c h a p t e r VIII
c h a p t e r IX
c h a p t e r X
c h a p t e r XI
c h a p t e r XII
c h a p t e r XIII
c h a p t e r XIV
c h a p t e r XV
c h a p t e r XVI
c h a p t e r XVII
c h a p t e r XVIII
c h a p t e r XIX
c h a p t e r XX
c h a p t e r XXI
c h a p t e r XXII
c h a p t e r XXIII
c h a p t e r XXIV
c h a p t e r XXV
c h a p t e r XXVI
c h a p t e r XXVII
c h a p t e r XXVIII
c h a p t e r XXIX
c h a p t e r XXX
c h a p t e r XXXI
c h a p t e r XXXII
c h a p t e r XXXIII
c h a p t e r XXXIV
c h a p t e r XXXV
c h a p t e r XXXVI
c h a p t e r XXXVII
c h a p t e r XXXVIII
c h a p t e r XXXIX
c h a p t e r XL
c h a p t e r XLI
c h a p t e r XLII
c h a p t e r XLIV
c h a p t e r XLV
c h a p t e r XLVI
c h a p t e r XLVII
c h a p t e r XLVIII
c h a p t e r XLIX
c h a p t e r L
c h a p t e r LI
c h a p t e r LII
c h a p t e r LIII
c h a p t e r LIV
c h a p t e r LV
c h a p t e r LVI
c h a p t e r LVII

c h a p t e r XLIII

12.8K 519 219
By rainkissed10

i'll edit this later, enjoy loves xx

• • •

AS SHE SAT IN chemistry, Sapphire's thoughts slowly drifted to her mother while the deadening voice of her teacher was subconsciously tuned out. That feeling of drowning every time the familiar blue eyes flashed in her mind had decreased since she had first started at Vela. She suspected her friends and particularly Maddox to have something to do with that, how when she spent time with them, playful laughters and cinnamon warmth invaded her broken heart, making it feel as if it was back in a single piece once again.

Her mother had been a gentle soul, with a name fitting her perfectly as if her parents before her already knew the delicate light she would possess. Neleh. While Sapphire had golden hair like the sun, her mother's were as dark as the night, like a galaxy holding the stars of her wispy personality. Their features were similar but the most striking resembling aspect between their physics were their eyes. A mix of storm and sunlight, a glint made of subtle wonders of life shared between them, or so she liked to believe they would've if her mother had never met Frank.

Simply thinking of him caused an unwanted fire to spread in her lungs, and while drowning in grief was a feeling she constantly endured, the one of bursting in anger and sad frustration was one occasionally popping up, but consuming nonetheless. And just as she clenched her fists, the teacher's sharp tone interrupted her thoughts.

"Sapphire, could you tell the class what is so interesting about the floor that made you want to look at it for half the class?"

Sapphire's eyes made way back first to the board then the teacher's eyes. She was grateful in that instant for the sudden distraction her chemistry teacher had caused.

"Well sir, shouldn't I ask you that question?" She gave him a devilish smile, "Why were you so boring that I had to resort to the floor to find entertainment?"

The teacher scowled, "This is a teaching environment, for you to learn and not to be entertained Miss Cain now listen..."

Sapphire didn't hear the rest of the teacher's rant seeing as her mind drifted elsewhere before she could help it, and soon enough the bell rang. She headed to her locker where Aviva was waiting for her and together they reached the cafeteria.

If she'd thought the room had been chaotic when they'd first arrived, it was nothing compared to now. The cafeteria was in general separated by an invisible line made of pride. On her right sat the students of Hayward and on her left those of Vela. While on the left the teenagers held malicious smiled and wicked auras, on the right the students were almost all the epitome of pretentious looks and elegant grace. They held their head high, something Sapphire admired, although their fright was transparent to the students avid for confrontations. In the far away back, next to the tall metal framed windows, small crowds gathered  for what she imagined were fights or drug deals. Guards and teachers ran around, mostly on the left side of the cafeteria to stop the running students throwing things going from pudding to knives at each other.

The two girls took their food and sat at the empty table in the middle reserved for them, a table no other student dared approaching.

Sapphire started eating, her glowing burger being way too enticing for her to wait for the rest of her friends to begin gorging herself, when a boy came up to her.

He wasn't that tall nor that small, just average. His eyes were a pale brown and his hair a soft blond. The deep pink of his lips contrasted against his pale skin and he revealed a crooked smile as he spoke to her for the first time.

"You're hot for a delinquent," he smirked.

Sapphire, confused as why some boy from Hayward she didn't know would come up to her, started looking around trying to spot the person to whom the boy was talking to.

When she realized he was indeed looking at her she frowned, "I'm sorry?"

He stepped closer, "You know, we could get out of here and..."

Aviva's face held a disgusted expression at the boy's insinuation and she was about to intervene when something in the distance had her smirking.

"Or," Sapphire smiled, "You could get out of here by yourself while I continue eating my sandwich as I was doing, before you interrupted me."

The boy didn't back down and approached even more as if Sapphire's words had fallen on deaf ears, "What do you say I show you what a real man can do?"

And at that moment, Maddox arrived with Enzo.

Maddox's eyes held silent violence, as he took a seat next to her. He put an arm around her shoulders and spoke, "What can a real man do?"

"Yeah," Enzo added as he sat next to Aviva. "I want to know too."

The boy, hearing the hidden threat behind the quiet tones gulped at their words, "I- uh, um, I- I'm going to go uh drink, yeah, water, drink water."

And just as he was pivoting to run away, a shoe collided with his face.

"STILL GOT IT!!" Amaya yelled raising her fists in the air victoriously. She turned to Julian who was next to her, "Pay up babe."

Julian grunted and gave her the twenty dollar bill before yelling at the boy who had received the flying shoe in the nose, "YOU COULDN'T HAVE MOVED?! WHO STANDS STILL WHEN A SHOE COMES THEIR WAY?!?"

And the boy fled away, a red imprint marking his face.

Aviva snorted when he tripped and got up to run again while Sapphire turned to Maddox with an eyebrow raised, "Really?"

He smiled, "I don't know what you're talking about. I'm going to get some food now."

And he left, not before stealing one of her fries.

••••

They had only been halfway through their lunch, in the middle of a conversation when Amaya was about to reply to some comment Julian had made before her gaze landed on someone particular at one of the Hayward tables.

Julian followed her gaze and frowned, "Is that.."

A girl sat there, wearing the red Hayward uniform, her pitch black hair in a perfect ponytail and her lips in a tight line as she examined something on her phone, her perfect nails tapping on the screen when she looked up.

"Oh shit," Amaya mumbled, turning away and pretending to find her plate very interesting.
The girl walked over to them, her gaze the whole time focused on...

Enzo?

Enzo had been oblivious to the silent exchange, his attention instead on Aviva who was laughing at something Maddox had said.

"Enzo? Is that you?" The girl said with a hopeful smile.

Enzo's eyes were focused on Aviva, as he was lost in his thoughts.

"Enzo stop looking at the bitch I'm talking to you," the girl sneered.

Enzo's head snapped up at the comment, his expression changing from surprised when he saw who had spoken to irritated.

"Jinoa don't insult my friends," Enzo sighed, "What do you want?"

Jinoa's lips parted as an offended expression made way to her face, "I don't get a hug?!"

Sapphire scowled, "You just called Avie a bitch, and who even are you?"

The girl opened her mouth, "I am Jinoa the third, h-"

"Heir to the nation of fucktards and rainbows, we know," Amaya waved her off.

"How dare you?!" She shrieked.

Maddox drifted his annoyed gaze on Jinoa, "Didn't you die last year?"

Jinoa gasped, "I'll let you know, I was in a car accident and no I didn't die."

Maddox frowned, "Are you sure? Cause I could swear I got an invitation to your funeral."

The girl gasped again.

"Girl, I don't know you okay, but do you mind, we're trying to enjoy our lunch here and you're making that task very complicated," Aviva said, trying very hard to seem interested in whatever the girl was saying.

Jinoa narrowed her eyes at her, "Don't you even dare speak to me you criminal."

"Honey," Aviva started, her interest getting lower by the second, "I won't start an argument with you, nor engage in one okay? So just go back to your friends like a nice ragazza and let us eat in peace before I start making promises."

The girl huffed, but didn't protest when one of her friends came to bring her back to their table, giving them an apologetic smile.

Enzo looked at Aviva with a worried glance, relaxing only when she gave him a warm smile. Jinoa was an ex-girlfriend of his and he had been worried that brief interruption of hers would've messed up whatever was going on between them, but instead he only seemed to like Aviva even more.

Conversation retook its course as they continued devouring their lunches.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

407K 10.5K 57
"Her troubled eyes held fire. The kind of fire that was capable of burning me to ash." ***** I grabbed her chin with my free hand, making her look at...
127K 4.8K 56
|WATTYS 2021 Shortlisted| โTeach me.โž โTeach you what?โž โTeach me how to be a bad boy.โž Elias Rodriguez has a crush on a certain cheerleader (since f...
2.1M 30.2K 53
"There's this whole school of delinquents here and yet you still manage to piss me off the most." "I like you too, you idiot." SECOND BOOK IN THE WIC...
40K 1.3K 33
"๐–๐ž๐ฅ๐ฅ ๐๐ซ๐ข๐ง๐œ๐ž๐ฌ๐ฌ, ๐ˆ ๐ญ๐ก๐ข๐ง๐ค ๐ˆ ๐œ๐จ๐ฎ๐ฅ๐ ๐š๐ฌ๐ค ๐ฒ๐จ๐ฎ ๐ญ๐ก๐ž ๐ž๐ฑ๐š๐œ๐ญ ๐ฌ๐š๐ฆ๐ž ๐ช๐ฎ๐ž๐ฌ๐ญ๐ข๐จ๐ง, ๐š๐ฌ ๐ญ๐ก๐ข๐ฌ ๐ข๐ฌ ๐ฆ๐ฒ ๐š๐ฉ๐š๐ซ๐ญ...