Like Real People Do - Jill Ro...

By 12376l

Younger sister of Alexia Putellas, Hunter, has always been devoted to football. She follows in her sister's f... More

Introduction
Soundtrack
I Need Your Help!
Instead They Adored Her
It Will Always Be You
Nice Suit
More Challenging For Some Than Others
That Was The Chance
Someone's A Little Biased
You're My Savior
You Were Staring
And I Passed
It's Nothing
You're All Grown Up
String Of Gold
We Need To Go
It Happened Again
I'm Sorry
I've Got No One?
Mirrorball
I'm Not Listening To This
You Were Right
Promise Me One Thing
Except One Person Remained Silent
Home Is Always Going To Be Home
Home
It Wasn't Even A Question
The Ocean Had Stilled
That's When It Happened
That's Not Fair
Time
We'll Make Sure She Sees It
I Thought The Light Had Died
Those Wounds Wouldn't Heal
You Were Right
I Was Staring At A Stranger
Well She Loves You
That Was A Private Conversation
She Made My Soul Happy
That's My Girl
How Quickly Life Can Flip
You'll Be Okay
I Don't Want To Be Alone
More Than You Already Know
I Had Two Options
That Sounds Like A Bigger Regret
Relief In Giving Into The Destruction
And There She Goes
Find Some Common Ground
Space From What?
Everything Wasn't A Label
My Place In The World
Deliciosa
Very Public Secret
Can You Stay?
Two Opposites
Now It Was My Turn To Be Strong
Whatever Will Be Will Be
I Trust You
Always To Be Remembered
Just This Once
She's The One
Real Or Not Real?
Trying To Hold On
Get Her Out Of Here
Someone's In A Mood
We've All Earnt It
Don't Be Seen
You're Safe With Me
I Just Want To Help Her
I Remember The First Time I Saw Him
But Then I Heard The Sirens
It Meant Something
One Single Look
I Have To Go
Clear My Mind
The Highs And Lows
Nothing Mattered
You're A Character
She Was Gone
The Truth Of Reality
It Will Be For Nana
The Highest My Career Ever Soared
It Will Go On Forever
Future Of Something In Nothing
Anything Meant Everything
I Was The Problem
The Lie They'd Want To Believe
I Didn't Miss Me
Without Words
You Won't Loose Me
To Be Nothing
I Wasn't Enough
I Prayed
Because I Know You
Neither Of Us Were Enough
Her Or I
Stay, Don't Go
To Save us
I'd Be An Awful Ghost
Eyes Of Red
We're Going Home
A Girl Like The Wind
Everything Flashed Before My Eyes
She'd Been Strong
Something
Everything But Hatred
This Is For The Best
Very Different Lives
Free From That Box

What's Wrong?

3.4K 129 8
By 12376l

Hunter's POV

Two weeks had passed, it felt like no time at all, yet lifetimes had occurred since I'd last talked to Nana. 
Tomorrow both Jill and I were flying to France with our national teams to begin our camps and then the World Cup itself. 

I'd told myself that Nana was just on a trip, she'd just gone to visit Spain for a few weeks and she'd come back. I'd begun to truly believe it, wondering when she'd return and then it would hit me; Nana wasn't coming back. Nana was never coming back.
Though I'd quickly bury that fear beneath the fantasy again because the World Cup was important to me, it had been important to Nana, so I'd go out there and do both my country and Nana proud.

Maybe I'd leave the fantasy when I returned back to England. Maybe I'd live in it forever. 

Alexia and Mapi had left a few days ago, flying back to Barcelona to pack their things for the tournament and say farewell to their teammates before they became competitors. 

I'd pasted that smile on my face, pretended it was all fine and continued being strong for the people around me, because they'd needed it. Alexia, Mapi and Leah had all found Nana's passing torturous and I'd been there for them, for once they felt I was the one they could depend on. No matter how terrible my pain was, I felt I owed it to them to be strong for once. 

There was a knock on the door, I knew it would be Jill because she'd insisted on helping me pack everything because apparently my organization, or lack of, stressed her out.

"Hey Jilly," I pulled her into a hug, walking her into the house.

"Hi," Jill smiled, though it didn't quite reach her eyes.

I decided to brush past that for now, I'd probably become oversensitive to emotions over the last fourteen days, "Want a drink?"

She nodded, "That sounds good," Jill sighed, she seemed exhausted.

"You didn't sleep well?" I casually asked, pulling a coke from the fridge for her. 

The Jill I was used to, danced her way through the days, she smiled and laughed whenever the opportunity greeted her and was the embodiment of sunshine and wildflower fields. This wasn't the Jill I was used to.

Jill shrugged, playing with her nails, "I guess."

"Maybe we can just chill out and watch a movie," I suggested, feeling Jill could do with some comfort, "I can pack my cases later."

Jill didn't respond, instead I watched as the tears filled Jill's eyes, she shook her head and it broke me, not that I showed her the fact. 
Seeing Jill cry was so different to seeing anyone else break down because Jill was the happiest, calmest and sunniest person I knew, so seeing her broken, hurt. It was as if thick clouds dimmed the sun and she'd been left with torrential downpours. 

I rushed over to her, pulling her into my arms and holding her head against my shoulder, "What's wrong?"

Jill shook her head, pulling and looking away from me, "They're just so horrible."

"Who? What did they do?" I asked, knowing I'd start a riot for this girl. I'd do anything for this girl. 

"Just everyone," Jill cried, I could now see how shaky she was.

I took Jill's hand, "Come on," I led her to the sofa and sat her down, "Explain it to me," I urged her quietly.

Jill shook her head, she refused to meet my eyes, "I shouldn't be crying to you, this is so stupid, you have real things going on."

I stopped her, "Jill you can always talk to me. I want you to always talk to me," I pleaded. 

Jill sighed, finally she looked at me. Her eyes were sad, they were broken and scared, Jill seemed so vulnerable, yet still somehow closed off, like she'd push away the rest of the world but let me in.

"Viv sent me a Twitter post and then I was scrolling through the hashtags about the Dutch team and then -" Jill stopped, shaking her head.

I knew this story far too well, it was the story so many people I knew had gone through. 

"And you read stuff about yourself," I whispered, finishing Jill's sentence. 

Jill nodded. 

My heart ached for her and I was also filled with this rage because Jill was the kindest soul I knew, she never said an unfair word against anyone and would be there for us all. She was also one of the best midfielders in the world, you could argue that I was biased but her performances at Arsenal proved me correct. 

"And I know I shouldn't even care," She sighed, "But it made me question if I am good enough to be on the team."

"There's a reason they picked you Jill," I reminded her, "There's also a reason all of those people aren't on their national teams."

Jill looked at me, still she didn't seem completely sure, "So you think I'm good enough?" She asked quietly. 

I looked back at her, "I know you're good enough."

I pulled Jill into another hug, I held her tightly because I hated Jill feeling so unsure of herself, especially when I was so confident in her. I knew Jill was more than deserving of that spot on the team, I think deep down she did too, but people online loved to spread that doubt in our minds and I'd learnt, early on, to brush it off but it upset me so much that such small minded people could affect Jill like this. 

I think I'd always seen Jill as very confident, social and sure of herself but this was new side to the girl that I didn't know existed; maybe Jill wasn't quite as confident as she'd always seemed. 

"Want to watch a movie?" I offered quietly, knowing to get her mind off of this.

Jill shook her head, "I want to pack."

I laughed, "No, that's stupid. I can do it later, you don't need to stress yourself out more. We'll have a movie marathon or something."

Jill chuckled, I was relieved to see that smile back on her face, "It will stress me out more if you pack for yourself. All I'll be thinking about the entire tournament is the mess in your suitcase."

Knowing I couldn't change her mind, I nodded, "Come on then." 

We went up to my bedroom, the house seemed so empty these days, like a single echo would travel through every hallway and every room. It wasn't necessarily sad but it was lonely at times, as if I was a mother who'd watched her children all fly the nest, but I'd never been a mother and some of the people who'd once lived here would never come to visit again. So I guessed the house would always feel empty from now on; always a house, never a home again. 

I pulled my suitcases onto the bed, it had the potential to be a long trip so I needed to pack quite a bit and I'd always been an over-packer. 

"What do you want to bring?" Jill asked, opening the doors to my main wardrobe. 

I furrowed my eyebrows, thinking for a second, "Everything?" I almost questioned. 

Jill chuckled, I could see her spirits were still dimmed but a distraction seemed to be the best solution for her right now, "Really, what do you want to bring?" She repeated. 

I stood besides her, begining to pull things from the draws and hangers that I wanted to bring with me to France.

"Is that my jumper?" Jill asked.

I turned around, tugging it from her hands and holding it tight, so she wouldn't steal it back, "Possibly," I trailed off, laughing. 

Jill chuckled, looking back to the pile of clothes, "I think they might be my hoodies as well," She pointed. 

I covered her eyes, "Hey! Pretend you didn't see that." I giggled. 

Jill laughed, holding her hands up in defense before she pulled my hand away from her face, just staring at me for a second, "Pretend I didn't see what?"

I smiled at her, I couldn't help it but I'd never met a person who made me feel more seen, who made me feel like I was their entire world.
When Jill and I were together, it felt like Jill didn't see everyone else around us because she was just looking at me. I loved it when she looked at me; I felt special, I felt chosen. It was special that Jill had chosen me, it was a miracle even, and I'd always know that. I could never take a moment for granted in her company because when I was with Jill, nothing else quite mattered, it was simply a whisper in the background because all I could hear was the quiet; the perfect, peaceful sound of silence which only she could bring.

Jill was the sun, I hated knowing she doubted herself because I'd never doubted her for a single second. I believed she could do anything, Jill could tell me she dreamed of travelling to mars and somehow I would wholeheartedly believe she'd make it. 

_____________________

author's note

who do you think Hunter's roommate at the world cup should be?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Step up By Annac3

Fanfiction

32.1K 529 26
A new player has joined Arsenal WFC at a tense time. After playing in a championship club will she be able to survive in the top ranks? And will she...
137K 2K 47
In which two players meet and fall in love But what will happen when they meet and will they get along? Their rough past says othervise. Leah William...
164K 8.9K 51
Alana Foden, and her sister Gabby, transfer to Barcelona and somehow before she's even arrived in the city, an enemy has already been made, after a c...
21.9K 545 26
Taylor was just an American girl who always wanted to work in Europe. Her dream was to travel as a photographer to English clubs and when she got the...