Step to You

Oleh aiyanella

When Rose decided to stand in that student-packed hallway, she only thought that she was about to change the... Lebih Banyak

NOTESÉ
PRE
ONE
TWO
THREE
FOUR
FIVE
SIX
SEVEN
EIGHT
CAST pt. ONE
NINE
TEN
TWELVE
THIRTEEN
FOURTEEN
FIFTEEN
SIXTEEN
SEVENTEEN
ELEVEN
EIGHTEEN
NINETEEN
TWENTY
TWENTY-ONE
TWENTY-TWO
TWENTY-THREE
TWENTY-FOUR
TWENTY-FIVE
TWENTY-SIX
TWENTY-SEVEN
NOTESÉ
TWENTY-EIGHT
TWENTY-NINE
THIRTY
THIRTY-ONE
THIRTY-TWO
THIRTY-THREE
THIRTY-FOUR
THIRTY-FIVE
THIRTY-SIX
THIRTY-SEVEN
THIRTY-EIGHT
THIRTY-NINE
FORTY
FORTY-ONE
FORTY-TWO
FORTY-THREE
NEW YEAR SPECIAL
FORTY-FOUR
FORTY-FIVE
FORTY-SIX
FORTY-SEVEN
FORTY-EIGHT
FORTY-NINE
FIFTY
FIFTY-ONE
FIFTY-TWO
FIFTY-THREE
FIFTY-FOUR
FIFTY-FIVE
FIFTY-SIX
FIFTY-SEVEN
Cast pt. 2
FIFTY-EIGHT
FIFTY-NINE
SIXTY
SIXTY-ONE
SIXTY-TWO
SIXTY-THREE
SIXTY-FIVE
SIXTY-SIX
SIXTY-SEVEN
SIXTY-EIGHT
SIXTY-NINE
SEVENTY -- FINALE
AUTHOR'S NOTE
EPILOGUE
PREVIEW

SIXTY-FOUR

879 90 25
Oleh aiyanella

Rose's POV

Sunday mornings usually feel so good. Ever since I lived here, Sundays always sound exciting, with Auntie cooking something extra special, or going out, or having movie marathons, even cleaning the house.

Because all those things... I did with them JK.

But now he's with another girl.

Sundays here wouldn't be the same anymore.

I rolled on to my back and the sunlight hit my face, so I opened my eyes and stared at the sky outside.

Such a beautiful Sunday.

My phone rang, and I averted my eyes from the window. With much laziness, I reached for my phone on the bedside table.

Van is calling.

"Hello?" I muttered.

"Rose Anne!"

He sounds so delighted.

"Hey, Van..."

I heard him sigh, but when he spoke, his voice is still lively. "I'm here outside your house!"

I literally jumped up of my bed. "What?!"

"Yep. I'll wait for you here. I saw your Mom going outside, I asked her if I can have you the whole day and she agreed."

Whatttt?!

"Uhm, are you seriously---"

My question is answered when my door opened and Mom's head peeped in. "Rosie, get up now. Your friend's waiting for you." She gave me a hearty wink then went out.

I tapped my forehead, "Okay. Give me---15---uhm, 10 minutes---"

I heard Van laughed, "Rose Anne, don't panic. It's just me!"

"But I didn't expect you to come!" I opened my dresser to look for clothes. Shall I wear dress or tshirt and jeans?

"It's a surprise okay?" He sniggered, "Don't worry, we have all day so take your time preparing. I'll be waiting patiently for you."

I snorted, "Fine. Just give me 15 minutes okay? You may come in--"

"It's okay. I'd rather wait here in my car!"

"Well, then, I'll hang up. See you!" I picked the white dress with little yellow cherry prints that Mom bought me. I never intended to wear this, but I guess I should now. Given the fact that I'm going with a model like Van, I don't want to look like his P.A.

"See yah!"

And with a dash, I went to the bathroom to take a quick shower. I don't know how I managed to prepare this quick, but after exactly 15 minutes, I was running down the stairs.

Auntie saw me, "Sweetie! Enjoy your day!"

"Thanks Aunt Annaly!" I waved at her. Jasmine is sitting at the sofa, she rolled her eyes when she saw me. I jokingly patted her head. "I'll buy you something nice, Jaz."

When I went out, Mom is watering the plants. She beamed at me. "Be home before 8 okay?"

"I will. Bye Mom!" I was about to head out when she called me again. She approached me and handed me some bills, "Buy anything you like... Honey, I talked to that boy. He seems nice. Enjoy your time with him."

She kissed me on the forehead.

"Thanks, Mom!" I grinned before dashing out the gate. Van is standing by his car, he waved at me when he saw me. "Hi, Van! You should have texted me!"

He opened the car door for me, "I told you, I want to surprise you."

"Where are we going?" I put on my seatbelt. He started the car, then gave me swift look, grinning. "What?"

He shook his head, "Nothing. I'm just happy to be with you today."

I can't help but laugh at his words.

"By the way, you look so good in that dress, Rose Anne." He smiled sincerely before focusing on the road.

Thank goodness he's driving, or he'll see my face blush. I looked away.

"Where are we going?" I asked again after a while.

He glanced at me, "Let's go see the ocean."

"Really?!" I clasped my hands together. The ocean! How long has it been since I last saw the sea?

Van is smiling as he drives, "I know a superb restaurant by the sea."

I smiled and looked outside. But then it was a wrong move---for everything started rushing through my mind.

This is why I don't like travelling when sad. My mind becomes relaxed so unwanted thoughts keep going inside my head.

"Rose Anne?"

I looked at Van, "You want to listen to music?"

"Sure," I said and reached for the car stereo.

---I know we weren't perfect but I never felt this way for no one
Oh, and I just can't imagine how you could be so okay
Now that I'm gone
I know you didn't mean
What you wrote in that song about me---

Clearing his throat, Van turned it off. "Let's play something else from my phone."

I nodded.

He handed me his phone, "Choose the song."

I opened his music app, then seconds later, we're both singing our hearts out to The Script's songs.

Why does The Script sound so calming when you're feeling down???

---Van's POV

I want this girl to be happy.

Rose Anne's hair ruffled behind her as the cold sea breeze blew towards us. We are both standing by the beach, we just had eaten our fill at the seafood restaurant (we arrived at lunchtime). She said she wanted to watch the waves.

I stepped closer to her, and I began to reach out for her hand. But I stopped halfway, as I see the look in her eyes.

She's just trying hard not to show she's in pain.

"Rose Anne..." I called, and she looked at me with a small smile. "Do you want to try boating? There's a boat rental a few minutes walk from here."

Her face brightened, "Let's do that!" She walked first.

I jogged up to her and caught her hand. She looked at me, and smiled. She did not object when I held her hand.

'SEE THE WAVES UP CLOSE, WAVE GOODBYE TO YOUR WORRIES: CALIYA BOAT RENTAL'

A cheerful middle-aged man greeted us upon entering the hut where the boatsmen are resting. "Hello, Miss Beautiful and Mister Handsome! Renting a boat?"

"Why else would they be here, eh, to rent a car? Tsk, tsk," an elderly woman said. She's weaving a mat out of coconut leaves.

The man laughed, then led us to the area where banca boats are situated. A young man, possibly in his early twenties bowed at us, and he jumped on to the helmsman place.

"Hiya, ma'am and sir! I'm Toby, I'll be manning the banca for you!" he said while removing the rope tying the banca from one of the poles. Four bancas from us, a couple with two kids are getting into another.

"Let me help you," I told Rose Anne, holding her by the waist so she won't lose balance. The sad gaze had left her eyes, and once again, they're sincerely happy. I can't help but grin as I follow her into the banca.

She clasped her hands over her mouth in obvious excitement, "Oh my gosh! It's so thrilling!"

"Ma'am, Sir, please wear lifevests," Toby said, handing me two orange and black lifevests. I held Rose's lifevest for her to easily wear it, then wore mine.

Soon after, we were far from the coast, and the salty cold breeze blowing out hair to the roots. Rose Anne is holding her hair which are slapping her face.

"Here, let me," I said, gathering all her hair behind her head, and braided them. I made a mental note to thank Jennie for teaching me how to braid her hair!

"You're braiding it?" Rose Anne asked with a hint of surprise.

"Yep," I said, taking out my handkerchief and using it to tie the end of her braided hair. "It's my secret talent."

She laughed, "Thanks, for lending me that talent."

"Anything for you," I said.

She smiled. Now, with her face free of hair, she faced the sea. The blueness of the water is so soothing to the eyes, and the waves seem to dance before us.

Rose Anne opened her arms like Rose in Titanic, and laughed, "I feel like flying!"

I stood behind her, just in case she toppled over. "Careful, the boat is quite unstable because of the waves."

"It's fine, Van, come on, try it too!"

I laughed and shook my head. "No thanks, I'd rather watch you and be ready to catch you just in case."

Does that sound double meaning?

Toby snorted. I looked at him, then he gave me two thumbs up. I raised my brows and returned the gesture.

"Van! Look, are those flying fishes?!"

I looked at where she's pointing, and true enough, a school of flying fishes are gliding over sea surface.

"I think so..."

"Woaaaah! Hellooooo!" She waved like a kid, and she looked more excited than before. She got her phone out and took videos.

I copied her, but it was not the fishes I took photos of.

I wanted to capture this happiness I haven't seen in her eyes for long. In my head, I wanted to curse at Alison for hurting Rose Anne.

She faced me so I averted the camera from her and pretended to zoom in at the fishes. When she looked away, I stepped backwards and captured her again.

"Sir, your girlfriend is so beautiful," Toby whispered.

I smiled, "Yeah. She's the most beautiful woman I have seen."

The boat ride lasted for half an hour. We would like to extend it, but it's 2pm now. If we stay longer, we might not be home before eight. I don't want to disappoint her mom, so I asked her to go.

We were buying something to bring home when my phone rang. It's Jennie.

"I'll take Jennie's call," I told Rose Anne and stepped away. "Hello, Jen?"

"Van! I knew why JK and Soyeon are together!"

I frowned, just as something clenched in my stomach. "W-Why?"

"She's helping him about something! I heard it's business related... JK's mom's business I guess---"

My hand tightened on the phone. "Are you certain...?"

"Yes. Don't tell Rose Anne yet, we don't know how she would react---"

"Okay. Thanks Jen."

She hung up. I went back to Rose Anne. She is looking at something, her head slightly bowed.

"Hey, what are you---" I started, then I stopped upon seeing her tear-strained face. "Why?"

She wiped her face and forced a smile. "Sorry, I... I just saw... it's nothing." She put something down and went over to the next shelf.

I picked up the item she put down.

A snow globe of an elf with a mic. It's theme is Christmas, quite out of season. I placed it back and followed Rose Anne.

I wanted to ask her about the snow globe, but I think if she wanted to tell, she had said so.

Rose Anne was considerably in a brighter mood on the ride home. She's looking at the videos she has taken. We have some lively music on the radio, and we both sing along from time to time.

It was 7pm when we arrived home. We were not able to eat dinner together because my manager called about something urgent.

"Van, thank you so much for today," she said before going out of the car. "I really enjoyed the ride, the food, and the sea."

"How about next time? You wanna go somewhere else?"

She looked worried, "I'm afraid I'm taking your time."

"No, of course not," I smiled at her.

She nodded, "Okay then. I'll go out. Bye!"

"Bye!"

She went out. But then before she could open the gate, I got out the car and went to her.

"Yes?"

I smiled a bit, then placed my hands on her shoulders, "Rose Anne... Please remember that you're worth it. Okay?"

She bit her lower lip and nodded, her eyes tearing up. She wiped them while laughing, "You're making me cry!" She sniffed, "Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. Go on, your manager might get angry if you let him wait longer."

I nodded, then went back to my car. I waited for her to get inside before driving away.

There you go, Van. You got your wish. You comforted her and at least made her happy for today. Way to go...

****7:26PM

The house is surprisingly quiet when Rose Anne entered. The TV is off, the kitchen and the dining room empty. It is impossible that everyone had gone to bed, because it's still early.

Wondering, she went upstairs. Then her questions are answered when Jasmine came out the door leading to the second door's main balcony. It's an area where Auntie usually goes to do business things. She only had been there once, when they did general cleaning.

"You're late!" Jasmine said, stopping in front of her. She wears an apron, has grease on her left cheek and smells like barbecue sauce. "We're having a barbecue party."

"Really?" Rose went to the balcony. Her Mom, Aunt Annaly, and JK are there, seated around the wooden table that she often sees in the backyard garage. On top of it is the grilling pan and some side dishes and lettuce.

Aunt Annaly and her mom both greeted her cheerfully. JK, as per usual, remained silent. Rose sat beside Jasmine, in front of her is JK, while the two elders are seated together side by side.

JK quietly sips his can of coke. He didn't even bother looking at her. She noticed JK is wearing the bracelet she had given. Deep inside, she felt angry at him. How could he still act like he doesn't care? Can he even show any kind of...

Rose sighed. The sea had caused her to be so sensitive. She must train herself to suppress any feeling that has something to do with JK Alison.

"Sweetie," her mommy Rhea said handing a glass of juice to her. "How's the trip?"

With the question, JK averted his eyes from the food and gave a sideway glance at Rose, who is now busy chewing off barbecue while looking at her mom.

"It's so nice! We rent a boat and bought some souvenirs," she said, feeling thankful that her voice is perfectly giving a happy tone. "I'll give you my gifts later."

"Ooh, so you rode a boat Rosie?" Jasmine said, her eyes widening. "Were there dolphins?"

"Nope, but we saw flying fishes."

Jasmine grimaced, "Boring."

"It's not!"

Aunt Annaly gasped and pointed at Rose Anne's hair, "Rosie dear! You braided your hair! And is that a handkerchief you used as hair tie?!"

Rose wanted to wonder if such is a shocking thing, but out of respect, she just nodded. "Yes, Auntie. It's so windy that my hair keeps on slapping my face so Van braided my hair---"

BLAG.

Evereyone looked at JK who stood up. "I'm going to my room."

Aunt Annaly almost smiled at this but she kept her frown, "Why honey? You barely had eaten---"

"I lost my appetite." He threw a dark look at Rose Anne who, again, did not see it, because she's busy wrapping some meat in a lettuce leaf.

When JK had left, Rose Anne looked up. Her companions didn't notice, but again, the tears in her eyes swelled up. She pretended to have eaten something spicy and fanned her mouth with her right hand.

JK doesn't even want to be in the same room as me. Is this how he really feels about me?

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

58K 1.1K 31
"You're fucking crazy" "I'm crazy for you sweetheart." The sequel to the book is he's back
1M 42.7K 50
Being a single dad is difficult. Being a Formula 1 driver is also tricky. Charles Leclerc is living both situations and it's hard, especially since h...
156K 3.7K 8
Jeon Jungkook hates the privilege student ➝ Park Chaeyoung
594K 13.9K 29
Wilbur Soot's sister Rylie, the unofficial 4th member of the Dream Team, starts to fall for a specific Texan whiteboy😏 •BEST RANKINGS• #1 in wilburs...