FIFTY-EIGHT

Rose's POV

[Don't let it get to you Rose. I know it hurts like hell but don't let it get to you. You're more than this]

I sniffed after reading Van's message. I am lying on my bed, it's past 10pm, and I still am not feeling sleepy.

I had cried on Van's chest, and even if I kind of feel embarrassed about it I am grateful for the comfort he provided.

I sent him a GIF showing thanks and threw my phone inside my drawer, just as knocking on my door came. I hugged my pillow to cover my face.

"Sweetie..." Mom's voice came and I felt her sat down beside me. "Anna told me what happened..."

I did not respond. Soyeon and JK went inside and who knows what they said to Auntie. I went in after twenty minutes, and when I came back, Soyeon had just left. Auntie was shouting at JK in the kitchen; but I wasn't able to see them because I ran up to my room.

"Are you okay?"

I nodded beneath the pillow.

She sighed, "When did you get to be a young lady, sweetie? Just a few years ago the reason why you were crying because you wanted a pet fish."

"I'm really okay mom," I said though I know my runny-nosed voice gave me away.

I felt Mom tapped my right arm. "You're a grown up now. You always say you're okay. But Rosie, you can cry if you want. You can talk to me."

I didn't respond.

Then she stood and I heard footsteps going to the door. I got up, and called her. "Mom?"

She turned back, and we looked at each other for a while. Then mom sighed, "Do you want to go home?"

Biting my tongue, the tears I had managed to stop flowed back again. And Mom rushed to put her arms around me.

"Ssshhh. It's okay... You're going to be okay, honey."

I wept quietly.

I know I'm okay. It's just that everything seems to be so fcked up right now.

---Sue's POV

Rose is the type of person who is so transparent. I mean, you can literally read what's in her mind. But right now, it's the first time I saw her be poker faced like this.

Elise and I had the whole Monday trying to make conversation with her, but she's just quiet. Well, she appears so calm, yet I do have this feeling that inside her is a storm.

"Argh. I can't take it. I'm going to the canteen--" Elise said and went out. It's lunch time. The first lunch time Rose Anne Leighton DID NOT have lunch.

"Buy me a slice of apple pie," I told her and she just raised a hand as an affirmation. I turned to Rose. "Do you want anything---"

"No, thanks," she said and smiled before continuing to read her notes. Meanwhile, Elise had left already.

"Rose, why are you acting like this? It's so not like you," I exclaimed and propped open my own notes. "If it's because of Alison..."

"No, I'm just thinking." She laughed without sound. "I'm really okay."

"Fine. But let's eat after school."

She nodded.

Afternoon classes passed by quickly, and at dismissal, Rose seemed to have changed from how she's acting this morning. She became a lot more livelier. Elise seemed to have noticed too, because she's now teasing Rose.