FORTY-THREE

Rose's POV

"Sweetheart, Happy New Year! I hope I'm there with you tonight."

I smiled at my mom on the screen. "It's okay mom. Just take care of your health and come back when you're all well."

Mom nodded, "Don't worry, I'll make sure to come home before your birthday. Promise! Okay?"

"Yes, mom. And don't worry about me too. It's happy here at Aunt Annaly's house. We got so many food for the new year."

"Okay, okay. But don't stuff yourself with too much food? And by the way, do you have a date tomorrow?"

"None, mommy. I will help here with the guests."

"How about that guy your aunt told me... What's his name again? Vince? V--"

"Vaness, mom. But I call him Van."

Mom clasped her cheeks. "Annaly told me that kid's a real deal!"

I laughed, "A real deal?"

Mom smiled like a teenager who just saw her crush, "That he's sweet and very, very handsome! Is that true?"

I sighed, then nodded as I laugh. "He's kind and thoughtful too."

My mom clapped and squealed. "Oh honey! You know I don't oppose if you get a boyfriend. But make sure to introduce him to me okay? I'd like to meet that Van in person--" Mom stopped and then suddenly looked formal.

"I'm sure you would like him," I said as I rest my chin on my palms. "Van is a funny guy--"

"Eheeerm!" Mom cleared her throat loudly.

I straightened up, "Mom, do you have colds? Are you sick?"

"Eheeeeeerm! Eherm!" She continued to clear her throat while widening her eyes at me. I frowned. Then mom typed a message.

[JK heard you]

My eyes widened and looked behind me. Sure enough, JK is by the door, standing and his arms in his pockets.

"Mom told me to check on you." He told me, then looked at my laptop, "Hello, Aunt Rhea. How are you?"

Mom smiled sweetly, "Oh, JK! I'm fine. Please tell your mommy I'll call her tomorrow evening."

"I will." JK glanced at me then, "I'll leave you both." He left.

I sighed.

Mom spoke in a low voice, "Sweetheart, how is it between you two?"

"We're fine, mom." I wonder what she and auntie are talking about us. "Mom, do you and Aunt Annaly perhaps talk about me and... JK?"

Mom's eyes widened, then she coughed and her eyes looked around her, "No, baby."

I raised my brows, "Mom, I know it when you're lying."

Mom laughed, her laughter the same as Aunt Annaly whenever JK and I are in the same room, "Well, you know Rose Anne, Anna and I have this... this dream when we were just in college that we wanted to be truly related. You know, when we can tell people that we are really family. And... to make that possible, we promised to have a daughter and a son." Mom laughed. "We lost contact with each other after so many years. But, fate must really be working with us. I have a daughter and she has a son! Isn't that wonderful!"

"Mom. But you should not decide for us."

"Who says we're deciding for you? You like JK right?"

"Mom.."