SIXTY-NINE

Jennie's POV

[Hey. Are you alright?]

I reread the nth message I sent Van. He hadn't seen it yet.

I heard from Elise and Sue that they helped him surprise Rose, but then Elise called me and said a huge miracle have happened.

That Rose Anne and JK are together now.

I messaged him the moment I heard it from Elise, but the whole day almost passed and still no reply.

Sighing, I entered the elevator and pressed his floor number. Minutes later, I am standing in front of his door. I looked at the paper bag of food I brought.

Then I reached out for his door and entered the code.

When I got inside, the lights are turned off. Even if it's still 3pm, since his windows are shut and his curtains drawn down, the entire house is dark. I closed the door behind me and walked inside. I went to the window and pulled open one curtain.

Light fell on the sleeping Van on the couch.

On the table are two cans of beer, and his clothes, shoes, and socks all scattered on the floor.

Picking up his clothes, I went to the laundry area and put them in the laundry basket. I put the food on the table and checked the fridge. Nothing edible inside.

I went back to him and nudged him on the foot.

"Vaness," I muttered.

I know he's just pretending to be sleeping.

"Van," I repeated. "Eat up. You haven't eaten anything yet."

He opened his eyes, and looked at me, "Jen."

He got up, and pulled me. He hugged me by the waist and cried.

With my heart breaking for him, I caressed his head. Then tapped him on the back. "Just cry. It's gonna pass soon."

He sobbed. It's the first time I've seen him like this.

I know he really, really hoped everything would work out between him and Rose. But just as we can't control the consequences of life, some things are just meant to happen differently from what we wanted.

It pains me to see him break like this.

But what can I do?

I can only be there for him as his best friend.

I can't replace Rose in his heart.

I long accepted that.

Sighing, I continued tapping him gently. I looked up to prevent my tears from falling.

At least I'm here to be with him... even as his best friend.

---Elise's POV

"El, let's go!" Jim pulled me inside, even if I glared at him.

Sue is already inside, helping Rose set up the snacks on the table in the living room.

We're in Rose's house, and she invited us over.

I don't want to go, but Sue told me we have to support Rose Anne because we're best friends.

Besides, I decided to have one final word with Alison that if ever---he hurt Rose again---I'll really make him not able to produce an offspring for life.