FIFTY-NINE

Rose's POV

"What? You got into a fight?"

I stared at Sue and at Elise whose left corner of the mouth is slightly bruised.

"Don't ask why," Elise said. "Let's not talk about those witches and tell us about your date with Van."

"It's not a date," I said, my cheeks slightly feeling warm. "But we did talk about dating..."

Sue turned to me and Elise cursed excitedly. "You didn't!'

"So did you agree?" Sue asked.

"I haven't answered yet," I bit my lip. "I'm still not sure..."

"Girl what are you waiting to be sure of? I don't like Van at first but I realize that you're way, way better with him so I accepted him, and now you aren't sure?" Elise shook her head.

"My side," Sue said, "is this, Rose. If you wanted to agree with Van, tell him. But if not, then don't let him wait for nothing. You know what it feels like to have your hopes up, then fall down hard."

"Right," Elise agreed. "Don't play around. I think you better accept Van if you want to forget--- well, that is if you don't want Jayson..."

"Okay, I'll think about it," I said. "By the way, what's that?" I pointed at a medium-sized purple pouch Sue had taken from her bag.

"Ah, this. A handkerchief and a book."

Elise took it and looked inside. "Who are you giving it to?"

"It's the handkerchief Ram lent me yesterday, and the book he borrowed from the Coffeestains which he let me read," Sue took the pouch back.

"Wait," Elise said, holding up her hand. "And when did you start being in a first-name basis with PROS?"

Sue frowned.

I looked at her with narrowed eyes, "And what's with Coffeestains?"

Sue sighed, "Don't make issues here. You two. You tell me straightly---what is it with those two that you fell for, huh?"

It's my turn to frown. "What?"

Sue pointed at me and then at Elise, "Both of you! Why did you both fall for JK and Jim---"

Elise cursed loudly, then stood. "HECK I DIDN'T!"

"Don't kid me. I felt something is off about you, Elise, ever since you stopped talking to Jim. And I somehow confirmed it yesterday," Sue crossed her arms. "He was so concerned about you, but what shocked me is you let him---you let Jim Inocencio pull you by the hand."

I gaped at Elise, "You did?!"

Elise looked away, "I was... well that was... It's just nothing okay?! Why are you so malicious, Michelle Sue?!"

And they started to bicker.

Laughing, I just watched them, while still urging Elise to confess. At the end, she left us and did not come back until the first period bell rang.

***

Since every club needs to have a meeting for the changing of the president, I called for a club meeting that afternoon. We got together excitedly at the music room. Since all of us are dreading the finals, we haven't had the time to get together. So while waiting for the members, those who came early sang a couple of songs.

I was playing Elvis Presley's Can't Help Falling in Love when Van and Jennie came.

Jennie sat beside me while Van pulled a chair to sit right in front of me.