FORTY-FIVE

Elise's POV

"You knew he's leaving home, didn't you?" crossing my arms, I looked at Jim with a raised brow. He fidgeted in his seat and started drinking his milktea. I took the glass from him and he looked resentfully at me. As if his trying to do puppy eyes would affect me. Tsh.

"Elise, I'm loyal to JK, you know," he said grinning. He reached for the milktea but I raised it far from him. "Ah. You want me to come closer eh?"

"In your dreams." I put the milktea down. We're here in the milktea shop just outside the school. If only I don't love Rose Anne, I won't bother asking this guy for a drink during this pleasant afternoon. "Just tell me where the hell your friend lives."

"I told you this guy is a loyal friend---"

"I only date guys who are loyal to me," I said and stood. I can't believe I'm wasting my time.

Jim grabbed my left arm and pulled me down. "I can give you clues---"

I pulled off my arm from his grip and stood again, "What is this, a game show? If you don't want to tell me, then don't. I will not force you." I gave him a glare and left.

"Elise!" He shouted, but I hastened my steps, "I love you but JK's my only friend!"

( ಠ益ಠ) Did he just shouted that with these many people around us?!?!

I broke into a run just to disappear as quickly as possible from the view of those students who are now smirking at me and whispering. Grrrr! That guy really!

The moment I was far, I texted Sue.

[Negative. Chameleon won't speak]

Fuming, I went to the bus stop. I hope Rose Anne is okay. She told me she would come home early because her Auntie is not feeling well. Tsk. That Alison. Why is he always giving my best friend a hard time?! If I see him, I'll knock him in the head.

---Van's POV

Jennie smiled and waved at me upon seeing me walk out the school gate. We have a meeting with a clothing brand director who wanted us to model for their summer collection.

"Sorry for the wait," I told her as I spot her car just parked a few meters away from us. "You're driving?" I asked with a laugh.

Jennie rolled her eyes, "Fine. I'll drive." Then she led the way, grinning. "I always drive for you, what's new?"

I jogged to catch up with her pace, "You really love me, Jen!"

She looked at me, then smiled. "Idiot."

I just laughed at her reaction, but I was surprised at the way she had looked at me... She seems... sad? Or am I imagining things?

"Jen, are you alright?"

"Of course, why would I not be?" She opened the car door to the driver's seat. "Oh, isn't that Rose Anne?"

I looked at where she had pointed and saw Rose Anne. She is walking with her head bowed down. I closed the passenger door. Jennie looked at me.

"Go ahead first, Jen. I will talk to her first," I said and crossed the street.

I didn't know if she responded, but when I looked back, the car already sped off.

"Rose Anne!" I called. She stopped and looked at me. I gave her a smile and ran towards her.

"Van," she greeted. Up close, I could see that she seems tired and stressed. The usual brightness in her eyes are gone.