THIRTY-NINE

Auntie placed the final batch of Christmas cookies into the oven. Then she clapped her hands and faced us. "Rosie, Jasmine, do you want to go with me to Haneul Home?"

"What's that?" Jasmine asked.

"Isn't that an orphanage, Auntie?" I said remembering a volunteer work I have done back in my second year.

"Yup. I've been sponsoring Haneul Home for six years now. They're holding a Christmas party in celebration with the orphanage's twelfth anniversary," Auntie faced the oven. "Later today, I will do some Christmas shopping for the kids. Jaz, you are coming with me okay?"

"What about Rose Anne? Isn't she coming too?" Jasmine eyed me while pouting.

"No. Rosie will stay at home and," Auntie turned to us again with a smile I think know the reason for, "...she will wait for JK to come home!"

I smiled uncertainly at Auntie, but I think she has mistaken it for excitement. Jasmine just rolled her eyes and left the kitchen without a word.

"Didn't you miss him, huh, Rosie?" Auntie held my arms.

"Erm..." I just laughed. JK left two days ago and went to his grandfather in the countryside. He is Auntie's uncle, because her parents were gone long ago. She told me her uncle took care of JK when she left to work abroad.

"I called Uncle, and he said JK wanted to stay there til Christmas." Aunt Annaly sighed. "But I talked to JK and he agreed to come home today. You know, I wanted to introduce you to my friends." Auntie giggled, "I wanted to formally show you to everyone. You know, you're going to be a part of the family."

I nodded and did not comment. If JK is here, I'm sure it would be another cause of argument.

"Okay, so I will leave the rest to you while me and Jazzy go shopping. Bye bye!"

"Bye Auntie," I said with an inaudible sigh. After a few minutes, I heard the car go. The cookies took a while to bake and when I finished transferring them to the jar, I sat down and took my phone.

I stared at JK's name in my call log. It's been how many days since the missed calls, but he's still not talking to me. He didn't even told me he's going somewhere far, I just got home one day and heard from Jasmine that her brother went to their granduncle.

Another thing is, Mom can't come home for Christmas. She is all well now, but her boss insisted on getting the last check up. I am not saying anything but I feel something about that boss of hers... Shall I call mom and ask? I've been meaning to ask her eversince last night's video call---

My phone rang. It's Sue.

"Suey? What's up?" I went to the living room and slumped onto the couch.

"What are you doing for Christmas eve?" Ah, she knew Mom isn't coming and I'm staying here for the rest of the holidays.

"I'm going with Auntie to the Christmas party at the orphanage. Why?"

I heard her sigh. "I thought of going to the Larrison Park. There will be a Christmas show."

"Really?" Street concerts, cupcakes, and fireworks!

"Yep. I talked to Elise, she's going too."

"Aren't you staying with your families?"

"My parents don't want to bother. They said my sister and my brother aren't coming and we'll not be complete so why party?"

I can imagine Sue looking down. They have this tradition of a family reunion where her siblings who both have their own families will come home and celebrate. I have attended their family party once and it's one of the few best Christmas eves I ever had.