SIXTY-ONE

Rose's POV

"JK... Everything that I worked hard for... It's gone..."

I clutched my mouth with my hands to stifle my sob. Auntie is crying while hugging JK, and she looks so helpless.

"Anna, is everything verified? Maybe they're just wrong..." Mom said.

"What happened, Mom?" I asked.

Mom sniffed, "Garry just called. She's the secretary of Mr. Lucas Nelsonn, a businessman with whom Anna had partnered with. She... She invested all her money with his business but... but it failed."

"How come you invested everything, Mom?!" JK asked. But Auntie just cried even harder.

"Can't it be returned?" I asked.

Mom shook her head.

"Are there any other ways to fix this?"

"I don't know..." Auntie sobbed. She sat up and wiped her eyes. "I don't know..."

JK helped her up and sit on the sofa. I sat beside Auntie and held her hand.

"Anna, I think we should go and see what happened." Mom said, "I'll drive over there, it's still early. We could arrive before midnight."

"I'm going with you Aunt Rhea," JK said, standing up. "You've worked all day. I could drive for you."

Auntie nodded, "Okay. Rosie, can you stay with Jasmine?"

"Yes, Auntie." I glanced at Jasmine who is weeping silently at a distance.

"Thank you," Auntie stood. "I'll just change my clothes."

"I'll wait in the car," Mom said. She turned to me, "Take care of Jasmine okay?"

"Yes, Mom."

When mom left, JK approached me. He looks so down, "Can we talk again when I come back?"

He sighed. Then pulled me into a hug, "Please?"

I bit my lower lip.

I should not be swayed.

No...

He released me and held my shoulders, and looked into my eyes, "Please?"

I sniffed, and wiped my eyes. Then I nodded. "Okay."

He smiled, then kissed me on the forehead. "Thank you. Wait for me."

I nodded again. Then he went out.

I sobbed.

I tried.

I wanted not to be swayed.

But it turned out...

I wanted him more.

***

"So, you gave in?" Jennie smiled meaningfully at me. I'm having a video call with her and Sue.

"Based on what I see in her face, she did," Sue muttered. But she grinned.

I suppresed a smile, "You know I tried. But..."

"This girl's really in love," Jennie said. "When I heard what happened from Van, I wanted to laugh. How come your mom was there all of a sudden?"

Sue chuckled, "Me too! But you should have seen Elise! She strung about 10 curse words in one sentence when you sat beside JK in the car!"

"For real?" Jennie laughed, "Where is she by the way?"