What had happened to me?

The familiar smell of antiseptic made me gag. I was underneath some itchy blanket that they thought was supposed to keep you warm when in fact it did nothing at all.

The beeping speeded up and then my head started pounding. My breathing hastened as I remembered what happened from the night before or at least tried to remember. I groaned and ripped the nodules out of my nose. I didn’t need help breathing; I was fine on my own. I reached over and frantically grabbed the call button so that someone would maybe be able to explain something to me. I pressed the button and a nurse came into the room.

“You’re awake.” Well, duh.

“What the hell happened?” I groaned and fell back on the bed. I wished hospitals had better beds. This thing literally felt like a rock.

“You were in a car accident,” The nurse said softly. “You’ve been out for twelve hours.” My heart rate sped up as I thought of all of the people in the car. Nicole was driving….no wait…that other guy was…no, he was next to me. My head pounded as I tried to remember the last few seconds before the accident.

“What’s happened to everyone?”

“Your friend, Devin, has a few broken ribs, Nicole has a broken arm, and Rob has some bruising. He was the only one with his seatbelt on, besides you” She said and checked my fluids. I was glad that none of them had died. You always hear tragedies of how people died in drunk driving accidents and I was glad to not be part of the story; not to be part of the statistic.

I didn’t know how I would live with myself if one of them died.

“What happened to me?” I asked. I had hit my head, obviously, because it was pounding and it wouldn’t seem to stop.

“You have a concussion, you were lucky you weren’t paralyzed by the way your head hit.” The nurse smiled. “I’m Katelyn by the way.”

“Can I have some water?” I asked and the nurse handed me some water. I really didn’t care what her name was at this point. I gulped it down. “Where’s Zayn?” I said suddenly and sat up. My head started ringing and the nurse helped me lay down.

“He is being informed now that you are awake and he will be in here any minute,” The nurse said. As if on cue, Zayn ran into the room and collapsed on by my bedside. His face looked distraught. His eyes were red and he looked like he hadn’t slept in weeks.

“Ava,” He gasped and took my hands. His hands were cold in mine. I caressed his hands with my thumb gently as I stared into his eyes. My heart raced as he looked up at me. “What happened?” The nurse must have left when Zayn entered because she was no longer there.

“Zayn,” I said and started crying. He leaned over and kissed my cheek. Hot tears fell down my face and Zayn wiped them away. “Lay with me.” I sniffled. I started to move over but Zayn gracefully picked me up and set me down. He laid down next to me and wrapped his arm tightly around me.

His body warmed mine and I melted into him. It felt so nice to have him with me even though we were in such a horrible place. “Babygirl,” He whispered softly. I could feel his tears on my cheek. “I thought I lost you.”

“Zayn…” I shook my head with a nervous laugh.

“I’m not lying, darling. I got a call that said you were in the hospital because of a drunk driving accident,” He caressed my face and looked at me with his brown eyes. “They wouldn’t tell me your condition.”

“How’d they know to call you?” I questioned and snuggled up next to him. The pounding in my head was lessening but I was still in pain.

“I had called you and left you text messages, so they just called me,” He shrugged. He pressed his lips to my cheek softly. “You poor thing. Why did you get into the car? You know better.”