Chapter 14

When I got to the main road, I was completely reenergized. I started sprinting down the street to Zayn’s house as fast as I could. A few cars beeped at me and someone yelled out the window at me, but I ignored them and listened to the sound of my breathing.

By the time I got to his house, I was gasping for air and my lungs were trying their best to get as much air as possible. I slowly walked inside the house and shut the door quietly, hoping not to wake Zayn.

“Ava?!” I heard him shout. His pounding footsteps followed and came down the stairs.

“Yeah?” I shouted back. He appeared into view and his face was contorted with worry.

“Where the hell were you?” He said as he walked to me.

“I went for a run,” I smiled and walked past him to the kitchen.

“It would have been nice if you had told me,” He said as I grabbed a glass from the cupboard. He was fuming but I could tell he was controlling his anger.

“You were sleeping,” I rolled my eyes as I filled the glass up. I took a big gulp and sighed.

“You could have woken me.”

“Calm down,” I rolled my eyes and finished off the glass. I turned around to face him and he looked pissed off.

“Calm down?!” He shouted at me as he walked slowly towards me. “I was worried sick about you, Ava. I called your phone at least fifty times before I realized that you had left it here. Why the hell wouldn’t you bring your phone with you?”

“I didn’t think I needed it,” I shrugged. Even though he was yelling at me, I wasn’t threatened at all. He would never do anything to me, I knew that.

He ran his fingers through his hair and sighed, “I thought you left and maybe got kidnapped or-“

“Kidnapped?” I scoffed. “You thought I would get kidnapped? I’m 18, Zayn.”

“Adult-napped, whatever,” He groaned.

“Why would you think that?” I crossed my arms across my chest and looked up at him.

“Because you never go anywhere without your phone.”

“So you were ‘worried’ sick about me? Huh? Why the hell would you worry about me, Zayn?” I sighed. I was getting tired of this. I didn’t have to tell him when I was going someplace. I didn’t belong to him; I am my own person.

He avoided my stern gaze as he said, “Because I care about you a lot, Ava.” His voice softened. His eyes flicked to mine.

I felt a pang of guilt and my guard went down for a split second before I pulled it right back up, “Oh, shut up.” I pushed passed him.

“Ava!” Zayn yelled at me as I walked up the stairs into his room. I heard him following after me and there was nothing I could do about it. I went to my bag and started finding clothes. “Are you leaving?” His voice softened.

“No, I’m taking a shower and then maybe leaving,” I smiled. His face fell. “I’m joking…about the leaving part.” I grabbed the last of my clothes and then smiled. “Now, if you would mind moving so I could go take a shower…” He stepped aside and I walked past him.

When I got out of the bathroom, Zayn wasn’t anywhere to be found. I got dressed and then started investigating. I looked around the apartment and I still couldn’t find him. He was probably just doing the same thing that I did to him. How immature.

I walked to the kitchen and made myself some toast. As I waited, Zayn came through the door I ignored him for a second. “Ava.” I spun around and looked at him. He had changed into black jeans, a white top, and a black leather jacket. He held a bouquet of pink roses in his hand.