Chapter 6

Monday morning, I walked into trigonometry and sat down in my normal seat. In the front of the room, a new woman was standing so it must have been a sub.

“Hello, class.” She smiled. “I’m Miss Rogers and I’m going to be your sub for the rest of the week. Mrs. Tufts’ father passed away so she won’t be here.” Although the class was silent, all of us were excited. We all hated trigonometry and Mrs. Tuft. “So, you guys will have the entire week to finish this packet. If everyone completes it, you will all receive extra credit. But if one person doesn’t complete it, then it becomes a graded assignment.” Everyone groaned.

Miss Rogers handed out all of the sheets and everyone got to work. Well, as much work as one of my classes can do. I plugged my headphones in and started to work on my packet. I figured that if I got half of it done today, I could do the other half Tuesday and then be done with it.

Except that when I got the packet I had no idea how to do it so I spent most of the time googling the questions. I ended up finishing a little less than half of it and since we didn’t have any homework, I packed it in my bag so I could get ahead. I say get ahead but most likely I wasn’t going to try to get ahead.

I went to my next class, English, and plopped down in my seat. English was easily my least favorite class, mainly because I was failing it. It wasn’t like I was illiterate, it was just that I hated poetry, the books we read were useless, and my essays were usually done at 2 AM the morning of its due date.

I sat by myself in the back because the teacher thought I was ‘easily distracted.’ Well, yeah I’m easily distracted ‘cause the class is so boring.

This time, it was basically one long lecture about grammar. I was texting Nicole throughout all of it. I could care less. My grammar was perfectly fine and I don’t intend on being a grammarian.

Tuesday came and went like most other days. It was long and tedious, but I survived. I finished the packet in math class. The last few questions were extremely easy, like a two year old could figure them out.

Wednesday was boring as well and there was talk about the presentation that was set to happen during the extra-long block today. I debated on whether I should skip it or not. I mean, I could easily find some junior to blow in the bathroom, but I decided against it.

Juniors were always the ones that were up for a senior girl blowing them. Especially because I am known for making a guy come in thirty seconds. Most guys come in under a minute with me.

Nicole and I were the one of the last ones in the auditorium, so we sat in back with the stoners who would surely make hysterical comments. Someone shut the lights off and the lights on the stage turned on. Everyone whooped when the lights went off, as usual. For a while the lights always had to be on because someone was caught fingering a girl. But we had finally got the privilege back.

The police chief walked on stage and smiled, “Hi guys! We are here to talk about the effects of drugs and alcohol on the teenage body. First we will watch a short film, then a doctor will come out and speak to you all, and then us officers will come and talk about our firsthand experience.” Everyone clapped and then the stage lights went out and a movie started playing on the big screen.

First it talked about alcohol and all about drinking and driving. We all know how bad drinking and driving is that it is literally drilled into our minds. The drugs part came on and the kids next to us started whooping. Nicole and I laughed as the teachers tried to get them to quiet down.

The video finished and a woman came on stage. She started talking to us about the effects of both drugs and alcohol on the body now and in the future. No matter how much they warned us about this kind of stuff, kids would still do it.